The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
trucknut85

Mystery Wire Connections

I am looking for some help in identifying where a couple of wire connectors go on my 1985 Chevy K10. The truck used to be my daily driver, but has been sitting in storage for the last 10 years, so i don't remember what doesn't work. The truck runs and drives fine, so i don't think it's anything super important. I think the big connector goes to one of the plastic plungers on the brake pedal bracket, maybe something to do with cruise control? And i have no clue about the green wire with red connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

trucknut85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Seventy468
almost scrap

Re: Mystery Wire Connections

Have you traced the wires back to where they come from? Might be able to get a better idea that way.
Seventy468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
trucknut85

Not yet, that is tonight's job. Was hoping someone would recognize them.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
trucknut85

So i traced the green wire with red plug tonight. It runs up into a relay on the left side of the steering column near the firewall. I believe it's just a relay for the 4 wheel drive system as the wires that light up the 4 wheel drive shifter and the dash light that comes on when engaged all come off this relay. So i'm thinking that the green wire with red plug is just a diagnostic connection? it has a slot on the back side like it clips into something out of the way, but i'm not sure where. Can anyone verify if i'm correct in my logic?

And the connector with Gray, Pink, Green and Blue wires from the first post goes into the main wiring harness, but i still can't find where it hooks up, even my wiring schematic isn't helpful.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
trucknut85

All right i found this image while researching my wiring question. I know now the black plug has to do with the cruise control, but still not sure what its actually plugging into. Maybe i'm missing a relay or something.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknut85 View Post
All right i found this image while researching my wiring question. I know now the black plug has to do with the cruise control, but still not sure what its actually plugging into. Maybe i'm missing a relay or something.

I went out and looked at mine. I found the little clear connector plugged into the the black one like the pic shows. The clear one is the turn signal stalk. The black connector, unfortunately I could not see where it lead too. It looks like it comes off the main dash harness and stops there on the steering column with the clear connector. The whole connection is clipped to the steering column. So without taking the air duct out, I can't get a better look at it.

Last edited by TKCR; 08-26-2015 at 12:16 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
trucknut85

All right, i think I've figured out the mystery, I believe the connector which the red arrow is pointing to is the wires from the turn signal/ cruise control stalk on the steering column. I'm going to double check when i get home tonight, but i'm semi sure. The cruise control is inoperable as all the engine bay parts are gone except the wiring, so it's not going to change anything on the truck, but at least i wont have random wires hanging down.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
trucknut85

Thanks for your help! Now i'm even more confident in my assumption.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
trucknut85

And of course there are no wires running down from the turn signal stalk, which explains why the cruise control didn't work when i bought this truck, even before i removed all of the engine compartment parts.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Mtrhd329

Yes thats the connector for thw cruise control stalk. Plugs into a black spade looking connector coming from the stalk. Depending on your column you might be able to swap in a stalk and just plug it in.
Mtrhd329 is offline   Reply With Quote