The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Bed rail caps?

Hey guys! Does anyone know of a vendor that sells black bed rail caps for 67-72 chevy pickups? I'm referring to a protective "cap" that covers the top of the bedside from the front of the bed to the rear of the bed. I've seen that LMC carries some that are smooth/polished as well as some that are polished diamond plate... neither of those are what I want. What I'm looking for will either be black ABS plastic or black powder coated metal (diamond plate?).

I've google searched this til I'm blue in the face... They're out there everywhere for 88-present... which doesn't help. So... anyway.

Thanks!
Attached Images

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Bed rail caps?

Anyone?
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Just get the polished ones, lay them on the road and repeat what you did in that last picture ..

I don't know of any out there. You may just have to have some powder coated

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Just get the polished ones, lay them on the road and repeat what you did in that last picture ..

I don't know of any out there. You may just have to have some powder coated
My bedliner has separated from the bed down one side of the truck... I actually considered buying the polished ones and having them powdercoated... but I'm thinking it's going to end up in the body shop and have the liner on the bed rails removed and the paint blended in if I can't find something closer to what I want to cover this
Old 11-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

That's too bad. I'm curious what kind of liner it has. Nothing is perfect, even the best. If They don't think they can blend it, maybe get the bed rails, scuff, prime, and paint those your red?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
flashed

I cant help but that is one sharp truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

It has a Rhino Liner... that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty... but then they say if the truck it's applied to has been repainted they don't warranty it. I talked to a rep from Line-x about stripping the old liner off the bed rails and reapplying a new liner and they acted like they didn't want to do it. Told me that they could apply three liners to trucks in a day and that doing my truck would take a day and a half... quoted me $1000 for the job... and wouldn't guarantee that it wouldn't separate again.

For that money I'll get the rails stripped and just painted to match the rest of the truck
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I sure am enjoying your truck and fine foto-graffy anyway. That no guaranty if vehicle is repainted is BS. I can see if the paint has peeled off with the liner, but if the liner has peeled from any paint it's a problem with the liner or the prep. I've had Line-X in a couple trucks and they told me about some failures for state roads new trucks. They learned they need to sand the paint. He didn't say whether the re-do was on them (warranty) or it was a paying repair, but they fixed it. My jobs were pretty detailed using a lot of the wire embedded masking. Racks were powder coated with Line-X on top and inner edges... around a little onto the outter of the sides. That would be a prime situation to peel from the edge, but I only had the truck a few years. It did hold up to a lot of abuse... even this!
Name:  scan0015.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  scan0016.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  77.0 KB
Flipped it on it's lid and it still looked good. The tonneau I had made out of Herculon (I think?) trailer tarp material they use on covered wagons (flatbeds with sides/tarp). That held all my tools and didn't tear (Table saw, compressor, miter box, nail guns, screw guns, sawzall... you name it, a whole bed full.

Sorry to hijack, but it's been fun talking with you. Would you consider a tonneau?

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

I'm to lazy for a tonneau cover... I like to be able to load my bikes or anything else in there without having to remove anything to make it happen.
I may end up just removing the liner from the bed rails and having them blended back the original color of the truck
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

Ive had one truck rhino lined and it was great. Even on the bed rails it never peeled. It came with the truck so no idea of the prep work but it must have been right.
Asa surely one of the many truck accessary companies out there has the black caps you are wanting. Summit maybe? Bushwacker? Penda?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

well...
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

While you're here, what say ya post up a few more artistic shots on that thread? You gottem, for sure.

Even if the painter says it won't blend well, masking a line wouldn't look all that shabby I'd think. The edge could be fine sanded to reduce the break, but there's a line there now, though for more obvious reasons

Tim

Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

I've got a guy that I'm confident can handle repairing it. A couple years ago I backed in to a fence and crushed both moldings on the drivers side of the bed. He was able to repair the upper to where you couldn't tell it had ever been touched(lower was replaced with a NOS piece). He was also able to blend my paint that was damaged.

I've already talked to him about handling this job... he suggested stripping both bedsides completely and repainting them... so... we'll see. LoL!

As far as submitting anything on that other thread... I don't think they need any help.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

Asa how about buying a quart of textured bed liner and rolling it on the bed rails yourself? After scuffing them up a bit of course.
Another nice pic too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
see ten
WTB this ad

I'm afraid that rolling something like that on myself will look exactly like what it is... that I tried to fix it myself... and I build stoves.

I kinda considered having them plasti dipped...
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2016, 03:03 AM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

As simple as the boxes on these trucks are I would bet you could get a set made at a competent fabrication shop. Especially if they had a big enough metal brake. Use aluminum or steel and powder coat it. Have them make 3 or 4 sets and sell some to offset the cost.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I remember when you boogered it up a bit and fixed it. Wasn't there a slight mishap up on that overlook above Maggie Valley once? Sorry for bringing back moments better forgotten. No comments on bikes at all. Ok, I'll bite. Nice bikes! How's that? It was actually sincere. I'm a bike nut from way back. If I had a couple spare bucks I'd be getting into all this cool stuff that's out here now. Meanwhile I ride what I built 35 years ago... and the Schwinn Cruiser5 that was built about the same time.

Tim

Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #18
see ten
WTB this ad

Yea... I boogered it up shooting these guys in Maggie Valley... cost me about a months pay to put it back like it had been previously...

Then I backed it in to my fence a year or so ago... a fence that's been there ever since I moved in 23 years ago.

The bikes though... I collect things... always have... supposedly it's a subconscious coping mechanism for dealing with anxiety... which I definitely have. I was up to about 30 bikes at one point... I couldn't walk in my building without moving a bike out of the way. I got fed up and sold most of them that weren't good for anything but to look at. I kept the ones that I was riding. The collection keeps changing. It had been almost a year since I had bought or sold one, then I bought one and traded another off within about 10 days... I think I've got right at a dozen riders now... all cruisers... Electra's, Felt's, Dyno's

I'm going to see my guy tomorrow afternoon to discuss plans for repairing the bed rails/stripping painting the bedsides.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #19
flashed

How bout showing us those Bikes ?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #20
see ten
WTB this ad

I've added a couple since this shot was made... traded off the Cayrum cycle truck too
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
see ten
WTB this ad

random shot I like of my 98 Dyno Ultra glide
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #22
see ten
WTB this ad

felt rat patrol the day I brought it home
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #23
see ten
WTB this ad

Felt Hot Wheels edition the night I brought it in... I think I ended up with about 7-8ish hours in the truck... after working a full shift on the assembly line to retrieve this one...
The guy bought it in Italy while he was in the military... european market bikes all have a front brake... US models don't
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #24
flashed

So where do you find these Bikes ,they are all very cool ?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
flashed

Very nice ,never seen any like them before .