The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
maxreps

Help needed if you've lowered your front with coils, not drop spindles.

Can you tell list your drop coil amount and also how close your oem bumpstop is to the upper arm surface? Like "Got 3" drop coils and 1.5" clearance between bumpstop"... Thanks in advance if you guys can give this info.
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
slugish
Slugish

Re: Help needed if you've lowered your front with coils, not drop spindles.

Have 3 in. coils . you are about right 1.5 - 2 in gap between bump stop & control arm . Some cut the bump stop for a little more spring travel , but I JUST LEFT MINE > pretty stiff but is ok with me , no problems .

By the way , one of my sons lives in Greensboro . Go there to visit occasionaly . He is southside I85 off Groomstown Rd.
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
maxreps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugish View Post
Have 3 in. coils . you are about right 1.5 - 2 in gap between bump stop & control arm . Some cut the bump stop for a little more spring travel , but I JUST LEFT MINE > pretty stiff but is ok with me , no problems .

By the way , one of my sons lives in Greensboro . Go there to visit occasionaly . He is southside I85 off Groomstown Rd.
Groometown Rd is only about 25 minutes from where I live, next time you plan to come down let me know. I'm always up for meeting fellow owners!

So you left your rubber bumpstops on and have 1.5-2" travel between them and the control arm right?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
maxreps

Uh oh.. now I am confused. Square84 you used 3" drop coils too but yours was sitting on the bumpstops but his was about 1.5 above them? What the heck?! Do you think the truck has drop spindles on it or could it be a model year difference thing??

Thanks again for help guys, I'm asking this stuff because mine was lowered when I bought it but it was sitting on the bump stops and I want to bring it up just a bit but have no easy way of telling what drop to get since I can't go to the local dealer and measure one sitting on the lot. BTW, the prev owner lowered it by heating the coils in the front and using a flip kit/removing leaves in the rear... hack job IMO. So I need to do it right.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Square84
I don't think these pills work

i have 3 inch coils. when i let the truck off the jack it was sitting higher in the front and when i looked it was sitting on the bump stops. i got rid of the bumpstops and cut the bumpstop perch off of the lower control arm.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Get drop spindles and some fresh stock coils. That will eliminate the guess work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
J_PEPIN87

I have 3 in. Springs with 1/2 a turn cut off and i had to get rid of the bump stop perch too.
J_PEPIN87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
maxreps

Thanks J, I'm still confused about Slugish' difference from you guys.

Thought about spindles but decided to just go with coils only, for now anyway. Who knows what the future holds though.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Tony_SS

If you do springs only, I wouldn't go anymore than 2" drop springs to keep the geometry somewhat in tact. Anymore than that and you could always add the drop spindles later.
Tony_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
slednD1

shorter springs change your susp. geometry and significantly hinder ride quality.you will need to re-align the front end because of the negative camber you create w/lowering springs. you will also need shorter shocks because the stock length is now bottomed out or well neer bottomed out and this can dammage the delicale upper shock mounts.My suggestion is to scrap the crap,go w/drop spindles and keep your stock geometry, alignment and skocks.this will also give you shorter stopping distanceand way better ride.
slednD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
slednD1

another note about alignment,you may have a problem getting your camber near 0 deg. and may need to use an offset upper control arm shaft assy. to get camber right.seems like a lot of hassle to go cheeper and wrong!you can get spindles w/2-3" drop and if you want more drop use a stiffer 1" drop spring in addition to your spindles to get 3-4" of drop. good luck
slednD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
maxreps

Thanks for all the info guys, every single truck I looked at in this state that was already lowered had heated springs, geez! I have cut 1-1.5 coils off stock springs before but never heated them since I believe it can change their spring rate. Overall I love the truck but it's kinda sad to see folks do half-arsed jobs like that.
I hope to get it back on the road by april, started tearing it down the 2nd day after I bought it recently. Partly as an exploratory thing and then when I found a few issues I figured what the heck, do it now.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
justpball

I took 2007 truck spring and cut 1 and 1/4 coil off and it lowerd my burb about 5in

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
Square84
I don't think these pills work

my 84 is a heavy half with 3/4 ton springs, when i put in the drop springs it actually lowered the truck 4 inches. my springs are western chassis smooth riders(3 inch drop springs)they have been in the truck for 4 years now and it aligns fine and still rides better than stock. i did get shorter shocks which also help with the ride. my buddy put 3 inch drop spindles on his 85 1/2ton and he had to cut the lca which in my opinion is dangerous, and it still rubs when he turns sharply. and he even agrees that mine rides nicer than his. the factory truck springs are much stiffer which gives a harsher ride. And with my bumpstops out it had about 1 1/2 inches till it hit the perch so i cut the perch off. also i should add that we are both running 15x8 rally wheels if your wheels are larger than you can run spindles without any cutting of the lca.

Last edited by Square84; 02-11-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: forgot something
Square84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
slugish
Slugish

yea getting a little confusing , this is what I GOT

* 3 IN Springs

* 2.5 in drop spindles

* 17 in rimss with 5.5 backspace >front & rear <

* does rub lower control arm when turned sharpely

* bump stops have not been removed or cut off

*The springs are Eibach brand

* on the inside lip of my rims are definitely signs of where it has rubbed the lca > I just live with it . probably should grind off a little lca , but havent yet . Any feedback on those who have grinded their lca,s to prevent rubbing

* Idont understand why I still have the whole bumpstops & another post said after the 3 in spring install they set on the bumpstop & would not allow the drop to be complete /??
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote