The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
tp85

Question acetylene vs MAPP???

I have a small portable oxy-acetylene setup, but sometimes this setup is too small cut large amounts of material or heat/bend solid bar stock.

I called my gas supplier to find out about getting bigger tanks, and he was encouraging me to consider MAPP as an alternative. He said the only advantage acetylene had was for brazing.

What are the pros and cons? I pretty much only use the oxy-acetylene setup for cutting and heating....not welding or brazing. I usually hear about people using acetylene, so is there disadvantage in using MAPP? Maybe MAPP is newer, and acetylene is old school. Is there a cost issue?
tp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
Mixup

I used Mapp 20 years ago. It seems to be big on the east coast. Nobody here in Las Vegas has heard about it. From what I remember it was cheaper but you had to use more of it to do the same job as acetylene.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
Southpa

MAPP (Methylacetylene-propadiene), can't believe I remembered it off the top of my head, lol, Is the way to go.

It has a narrower explosive range (I'm in the books now) 3.4 to 10.8% in air compared to a range of 2.5 to 80% for acetylene.

Oxyacetylene cutting torches can be used but you will need special tips for using MAPP gas. You can use your usual acetylene regulator as MAPP gas cylinders have the same thread as acetylene cylinders. You can also own your MAPP cylinder so there is no extra cost in re-supply.

Its faster cutting and leaves a very liquified slag, so its cleaner.

MAPP is in liquid form so a cylinder of MAPP fuel contains many more cubic feet of gas than an acetylene cylinder of the same size.

They use it for underwater cutting since it can be used at pressures of over 15 psig while acetylene cannot.

All around, its safer and more efficient and could likely be cheaper in the long run if you do lots of burning.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 01-08-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Forget both the MAPP and acetylene as far as I am concerned and go with Propane, with the correct propane tips you can cut through thicker steel than when using acetylene, it lasts as long or longer than acetylene, costs far less. Try it out its only a $15-$20 tip investment & the cost of a full propane bottle around $10, then if you like it you can get larger portable cylinders or plumb your shop to run off a big 300gallon tank.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
tp85

Is there anything that MAPP or propane can't do, but acetylene can? I pretty sure acetylene is needed for brazing.
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:58 PM   #6
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

I use acetylene every day for brazing! But I am going to a oxy set up for more heat and a turbo torch head!

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
steves1967

MAPP and oxy/acetylene. are both useful gases- for brazing though oxy/acetylene has a hotter flame. MAPP gas cylinders just can't put out enough heat, I'm a union pipefitter in northern california and all we use is oxy/acetylene....
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My plumber says MAPP gas is hotter than propane. I know that an old plumber used acetylene for brazing/soldering on copper. I personnally used propane to sweat some copper joints and it worked fine for me.

I need to learn how to use this MIG welder I have, tho.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:44 PM   #9
imdarren

Someone may correct me.... But..
Acetylene bottles have some funky "media" stuff inside them, and they are not as safe as mapp gas.
You do get much more cubic feet of gas in a mapp bottle.
I used to cut up train cars, and we used propane. It was a bunch cheaper, and worked great! We cut through those solid steel train axles like butter, and they were about 6 or 8" solid!
I think propane burns dirtier than others.
I would go with MAPP (1st choice)
Propane (second choice)

Just my .02
Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 01:29 AM   #10
steves1967

Acetylene is dissolved in acetone inside the cylinder- because acetlyene is very unstable by itself. You should never lay an acetylene cylinder on ot's side becasue the acetylene will dissolve from the acetone and that's not good.... If you do lay one on it's side let it stand up right for about half an hour before use. Also to keep acetylene stable you can't withdraw more than 1/7th the total gas per hour- if you do you draw the acetone out too and again it becomes unstable...hope this helps everyone a little
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:24 AM   #11
tp85

great info. thanks.