The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
67Mach1

Burned out and Tired (a personal rant)

Greetings, I have been a member here for a few years now and had great fun buying parts, selling trucks and parts here, as well as learning and meeting good people.

However, I'm pretty burned out on the 67-72 Chevy truck seen right now. I've spent way too much time over the past few years gathering trucks and parts trying to find someting that was either different or speical and not nearly enough time working on my truck. The end result is a partially built 67 GMC with a 454/400 and a bunch of other things that simply need to go.

I've been trying to sell most of my inventory and parts over the past year with some success and some failures that ultimately let to me junking trucks might have been salvageable(just not by me).

Recently I've been trying to sell some bigger ticket items. My buddy buckets sold right away (figured they would), I've even given parts to friends to have them used, but the trucks are not selling. I dont know if its too high a price, their location (not in Austin but about 1.3 hours away), their condition, or someting else. The end result is that I'm now even more frustrated than I was before because I gathered too much stuff and perhaps made bad decisions.

While I'm not giving up on the trucks 100%, I'll be keeping the 67 GMC and some of my parts. And out at the farm the trucks/suburbans most likely stay till they rot away or I scrap/part it out.

For now I'm burned out and tired. I used to think about how someone could start projects and not finish them. Now I know....

Not gone but backing away slowly.....to evaluate the situation.

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Re: Burned out and Tired (a personal rant)

This is why I like my "mechanical pets" better than real pets. If I get tired of them, or something else in life comes up - I can put them on hold and come back later (assuming they're stored inside). I like doing resto - I don't like doing it on a fixed schedule.

I always hit a point in a project where I say that I'm not going to do this again. Then, after awhile, the bug grabs hold one more time.

There's a reason not everyone restores old cars/trucks...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
ubtripn

It seems like everything in life ebbs and flows. Give yourself time to think before letting go of something you might regret though would be my one piece of advice and the other - don't take anything too serious =) Health is about all that counts for those riding this rock =)
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
mikey531

It does sound like you are burned out.. maybe went a little overboard on purchasing parts and trucks.. (but I do understand it is Texas). I had a vision of how I wanted my truck to be. I think the big difference is timing and I was able to drive my truck as I was working on it. Maybe you should get one truck running and just take a drive in it every now and then. Schedule a work night for 2 or 3 hours once a week, then no matter what you are doing stop after a predetermined time. Don't try to do everything at once, just take little steps and before you know, it will be done. I took two years acquiring parts, pieces and ideas. Now after saving and scrimping my truck is in the paint shop for my dream paint job.
mikey531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
chevyman95

I go through cycles, for about a year I will be car crazy and buying and selling and working on cars all the time. Then it kind of dies off a little for around 6 months or so and I will sell off everything. Then for about another year I don't even look at anything then I get the bug again.

Just let them sit, you will be back.
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm very burned out myself too. I've built a lot of these trucks in the past 15 years and I came to realize that it is boring doing the same thing over and over again. Life is way too short to keep going down the same road repeatedly. The world is a huge place and there is no shortage of interesting stuff to do besides Chevy pickups.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Indyuke

As was said before, get one truck you'd enjoy... even if it's not perfect or your dream truck, and get it running fairly well so that you can drive it often. That will help keep the enjoyment alive.

I learned my lesson once with a 69 I had by tearing apart the entire truck and got lost in the project. That truck was eventually taken away by the salvage yard, never to be seen again. Now I just do little projects on one vehicle, and I drive it every day. Constantly making little improvements and enjoying the results the next day.
That's all I need... a classy and capable daily driver.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
bollybib

I watched my brother tear apart two cars that never went back together. I hear that story in here a lot, too. Easy and quick to take apart, not so easy and very time consuming to put back together

I try not to stray too far from being able to actually drive my truck. If I tore one down at my age, I fear that I'd never see it back in one piece before I kicked the bucket. I figure I can watch others do that in the many threads here ( tear it down that is, not kick the bucket ).

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
67Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
As was said before, get one truck you'd enjoy... even if it's not perfect or your dream truck, and get it running fairly well so that you can drive it often. That will help keep the enjoyment alive.

I learned my lesson once with a 69 I had by tearing apart the entire truck and got lost in the project. That truck was eventually taken away by the salvage yard, never to be seen again. Now I just do little projects on one vehicle, and I drive it every day. Constantly making little improvements and enjoying the results the next day.
That's all I need... a classy and capable daily driver.
I've done this with one truck already by the time I stripped it down realized it was not worth the effort due to rust. Kept the good parts and got rid of the rest.

COmmon thread in this is keeping yourself interested. Having a driver may be the solution so I think I'll continue to try to sell some and just focus on the one that is in my avatar. Just get it running and fix the rest later. ONe step at a time. I often wonder if my dream of a nice show truck has kept me from moving faster. Knowing it will never be my "dream" but perhaps my dream can change...

more junk and most of it
is for sale
Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mach1 View Post
COmmon thread in this is keeping yourself interested. Having a driver may be the solution so I think I'll continue to try to sell some and just focus on the one that is in my avatar. Just get it running and fix the rest later. ONe step at a time. I often wonder if my dream of a nice show truck has kept me from moving faster. Knowing it will never be my "dream" but perhaps my dream can change...
A show truck is everybody's dream I'd guess, but if I had a real show truck, I know I could never enjoy it like I would want to in fear of messing it up. I'm going to stick to nice, clean drivers and enjoy the heck out of them. That said, I'm about to go take a spin in my '69 Camaro SS on this nice July 4th day. It isn't the nicest one in world, and not near as I want it to be, but it is sure is fun to drive and draws a crowd wherever I go.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
ricks71pu

Been there, done that, was a member of Studebaker Drivers Club for years, collected cars, parts, and freinds. One day, i woke up and said enough! Years later, I come across my 1971 GMC Longhorn, and here we go again (lol).

My GMC is my daily driver and my money pit. With gas prices as they are, I still love and drive my truck as much as I can. Who knows what will happen a year from now, regarding ANYTHING, but for now, still loving the 67-72 trucks.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I'm building a 67 Firebird now. While I'm keeping my baby, I needed something different.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

To quote George Harrison..."If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

Each plan we make with these trucks (and/or cars) is a road. Sometimes, they dead end on us, while others seem to go on and on with no end in sight.

I've given up on my truck several times, but my youngest son has helped get me back on track. Right now, the opressive heat is a factor in not getting much done, but that's life.

I think that any hobby a person has, is subject to the ups and downs that can be daily, or less than daily. Family, work, school, health...each is a card that has to be played in the game of life.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
BMERDOC

I'm with INDYUKE on this one. I've seen too many projects (mine and other ppls) that died along the line because there either wasn't enough funds to keep it moving or life got in the way. Sometimes you can bite off more than you can chew.
I have formulated some rules to avoid getting in this rut. With my new truck I have decieded that I will get it on the road ASAP. So that I can drive it, go to cruise ins and show up in the parking lot of a car show with a cool ride. No projects will leave it parked for more than a coupla days. Any project must be fully financed before it is started and thoughroly planned out. Finally, I'm not gonna buy anything that is not directly related to this truck.
I have things I wanna do but they will snowball. I wanna lower it but I know it will require spindles, which will require brakes which means I'll wanna rebuild the front suspension...and paint the frame. Do I wanna stick the old body on a nice frame, hardly. So with paint and body work I can't leave the interior like it is...see what I mean? I have counteracted that by starting a superfund. I plan to sock money away so that I will have a lump sum. When I have what I think is all the money for the project I will blow it apart and rebuild it ground up.
In short, if it isn't fun anymore, take a break. This isn't one of those hobbies you don't come back to. We always come back!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
67Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
I'm with INDYUKE on this one. I've seen too many projects (mine and other ppls) that died along the line because there either wasn't enough funds to keep it moving or life got in the way. Sometimes you can bite off more than you can chew.
I have formulated some rules to avoid getting in this rut. With my new truck I have decieded that I will get it on the road ASAP. So that I can drive it, go to cruise ins and show up in the parking lot of a car show with a cool ride. No projects will leave it parked for more than a coupla days. Any project must be fully financed before it is started and thoughroly planned out. Finally, I'm not gonna buy anything that is not directly related to this truck.
I have things I wanna do but they will snowball. I wanna lower it but I know it will require spindles, which will require brakes which means I'll wanna rebuild the front suspension...and paint the frame. Do I wanna stick the old body on a nice frame, hardly. So with paint and body work I can't leave the interior like it is...see what I mean? I have counteracted that by starting a superfund. I plan to sock money away so that I will have a lump sum. When I have what I think is all the money for the project I will blow it apart and rebuild it ground up.
In short, if it isn't fun anymore, take a break. This isn't one of those hobbies you don't come back to. We always come back!
I was goign to pull a line or two out of this and comment but after reading it again it's all good. I'll never give up just need to reduce inventory, get some of that money back into the sock drawer.

Sadly nothing is selling here on the site for me. Unless I crush for weight or try Craigslist looks like the 69 four door, the suburban and the 67 GMC V6 will be with me for a bit.

more junk and most of it
is for sale
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=
I have formulated some rules to avoid getting in this rut. With my new truck I have decieded that I will get it on the road ASAP.

OH MAN!... Why the heck didn't I think of that?
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size]
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
To quote George Harrison..."If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

Each plan we make with these trucks (and/or cars) is a road. Sometimes, they dead end on us, while others seem to go on and on with no end in sight.

I've given up on my truck several times, but my youngest son has helped get me back on track. Right now, the opressive heat is a factor in not getting much done, but that's life.

I think that any hobby a person has, is subject to the ups and downs that can be daily, or less than daily. Family, work, school, health...each is a card that has to be played in the game of life.
Chevrolay,
This is Ironic, you should mention the Heat.
My Wife and I just moved from Northern Ca down to Southern Ca<
(Palm Springs Area), and I thought it was strange that there are no
"Car Activities" between June-October.
I'm thinking that's prime Summer Weather. Well this is our 1st Summer here, and already we've had 15 days straight of 100+ Weather. Then yesterday the "Monsoonal Moisture" moved in (Think 110 with 65% Humidity). I went into the Garage to replace the Front Indicator Bulbs. Took 10 minutes and I was DRENCHED in sweat. The Garage must have been 115 Degrees.
Where we were from, you might have gotten 3 straight days of 100+ and then it would go down to 60 at night. Night time Temps here, your lucky if you get down below 85 Degrees! The Monsoon Season lasts Mid July through Mid September, but thank God oits not every day, that Moisture comes in.
Somedays its even too hot to get into my 72 to Drive around.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I'm building a 67 Firebird now. While I'm keeping my baby, I needed something different.
I just sold a '67 Firebird 400 body. It was a 4 speed car with air and deluxe interior. I'm kinda going the other way. I'm scaling down my collection and I'm going to try to focus on just a couple instead of having plans to restore lots of them. I have sold that Firebird, a '71 Pontiac GT-37, a '75 Nova and 2 SWB '69 Chevys in the last few months. I still have (2) '67 Jeep M715 military trucks, a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins, several more 67-72 trucks, and a '77 Dodge M880 miltary truck that I'm going to sell. I'm going to get my collection down to my '69 Camaro SS, my '67 C-30, and the '70 SWB BB truck I just bought. I'm also going to keep my military Blazer as my DD. I have decided to sell my Z71 since I literally never drive it anymore. I prefer the Blazer over the Z71, it gets way better fuel mileage, it has room for my 3 kids, and its way more manly!

My trucks

Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
67Mach1

It's good to know that there are others out there with my same situation and understanding.

I've been doing this with other cars for some 20 plus years now and have always been able to keep projects moving and having fun. It was not till I started with these trucks that I got into hoarding them and parts over working on them. It started by purchaseing a set of 5 trucks and a ton of parts from a guy getting out of them back in 2005 or so. I've purchased and sold another 15 or so since then so now I have a collection of "inventory" but nothing that has run in the past two years.

I think having one that runs in the key that and not to tear them down to every nut a bolt unless you want a long term project.

My current inventory consists of no drivers so perhaps I need to make that change and then get motivated again.

I'll always be with a project or two but I think I'm not made to have 5 project trucks and 5 parts trucks. WHen I had to buy warehouse shelving for my barn to hold "extra" parts I was stripping off I should have known I was in over my head.

more junk and most of it
is for sale
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mach1 View Post
It's good to know that there are others out there with my same situation and understanding.

I've been doing this with other cars for some 20 plus years now and have always been able to keep projects moving and having fun. It was not till I started with these trucks that I got into hoarding them and parts over working on them. It started by purchaseing a set of 5 trucks and a ton of parts from a guy getting out of them back in 2005 or so. I've purchased and sold another 15 or so since then so now I have a collection of "inventory" but nothing that has run in the past two years.

I think having one that runs in the key that and not to tear them down to every nut a bolt unless you want a long term project.

My current inventory consists of no drivers so perhaps I need to make that change and then get motivated again.

I'll always be with a project or two but I think I'm not made to have 5 project trucks and 5 parts trucks. WHen I had to buy warehouse shelving for my barn to hold "extra" parts I was stripping off I should have known I was in over my head.
Part of the problem with these is that they are too easy to get. I had over 25 of these at one time, and still have 11 including parts trucks, etc. I have spent money on other trucks that I needed to spend on the trucks I'm working on. I'll see a truck that is complete for $300 - 400 and I'm like "I can't turn that down for THAT price" and I'll buy it. I've bought 2 or 3 close together before and spent $1200 - $1500 on parts trucks instead spending $1500 on my good trucks. $1500 buys a lot for these trucks, and if do that 3 or times you could really have everything you need to put a pretty dang nice truck. That's why I'm thinning my herd right now. I'm going to turn 7 or 8 of these I have into cash, and I'm going to put it in the ones I'm going to keep. You, probably like me, don't have the money to restore 5 at one, and its unrealistic to think you can. I'm figuring that out myself!

My trucks

Old 07-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #21
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Problem with these trucks are they are pretty cheap still when buying parts and parts trucks. Try collecting muscle car parts and bodies, you need to have deep pockets.

So its really easy to end up with a plate full of trucks, especially if you have room to pack a bunch of em away.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
67Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Part of the problem with these is that they are too easy to get. I had over 25 of these at one time, and still have 11 including parts trucks, etc. I have spent money on other trucks that I needed to spend on the trucks I'm working on. I'll see a truck that is complete for $300 - 400 and I'm like "I can't turn that down for THAT price" and I'll buy it. I've bought 2 or 3 close together before and spent $1200 - $1500 on parts trucks instead spending $1500 on my good trucks. $1500 buys a lot for these trucks, and if do that 3 or times you could really have everything you need to put a pretty dang nice truck. That's why I'm thinning my herd right now. I'm going to turn 7 or 8 of these I have into cash, and I'm going to put it in the ones I'm going to keep. You, probably like me, don't have the money to restore 5 at one, and its unrealistic to think you can. I'm figuring that out myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Problem with these trucks are they are pretty cheap still when buying parts and parts trucks. Try collecting muscle car parts and bodies, you need to have deep pockets.

So its really easy to end up with a plate full of trucks, especially if you have room to pack a bunch of em away.
The inexpensiveness of these trucks to buy in is why I ended up myself with close to 20 of them at the farm. Having a 200 acre farm and a 20' car hauler Iv'e found soem great deals. Some for just the price of getting them out of the driveway/yard.

The only ones I've paid good money for are the suburban and the four door. The rest have been good "godfather" type of deals... Too good to pass up.

more junk and most of it
is for sale
Old 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
pat 70/71

Burn out is a real problem with any passion/hobby. My advise to you is back out a little/ do something that grabs your interest and play over there for a little bit. Then,and only when you are ready, come on back to your trucks ! everyone burns out now and then. We'll all be hear for you when you return! cheers,Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
BMERDOC

I think this thread has breathed new life into some people! Its good to see that a rant turned into something inspirational.
Let me add, I'm 37. I tried to start projects but life got in my way. I've forced myself to focus. I've always wanted this and now I must do it or I may never get the chance. I've turned up the thermostat, i eat bread and water (kinda) and I take 30 second showers all for the sake of finally having this.
Now, as great as they are and outsiders have taken liberty with the trend I say GOD BLESS THE RAT RODS!! Hear me out, Rat Rods- So your tellin me you took a crap car, made the brakes to stop correctly, made the wiring harness bullet proof, made the steering rock solid, got some cool wheels and tires, dropped it and then put license plates on it and just cruised? F'n BRILLIANT!! Don't get me wrong I don't plan to put a six foot shifter with a skull shift knob in my truck and paint the rims red and call it a day. But Rat Rods have given us a gift. You don't need a $10,000 paint job and all the top name stuff to be bonafide. You just need to know what you like and build it. As long as you hit the key and it purrs like a kitten, pull on a switch and what you expected to turn on does and your not gonna kill anyone because your ride is unsafe then rock that thing! VW guys, especially abroad, have been doin it longer than Rods Rods. It gave me hope to know that I could finally enjoy something cool. Now I have a 67 fleet s/b in my driveway and I'm hanging out with you fine people and I am on top of the world right now. I can't wait to get on my sunglasses and flip flops, hang my arm out the window and roll!!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Now, as great as they are and outsiders have taken liberty with the trend I say GOD BLESS THE RAT RODS!! Hear me out, Rat Rods- So your tellin me you took a crap car, made the brakes to stop correctly, made the wiring harness bullet proof, made the steering rock solid, got some cool wheels and tires, dropped it and then put license plates on it and just cruised? F'n BRILLIANT!! Don't get me wrong I don't plan to put a six foot shifter with a skull shift knob in my truck and paint the rims red and call it a day. But Rat Rods have given us a gift. You don't need a $10,000 paint job and all the top name stuff to be bonafide. You just need to know what you like and build it. As long as you hit the key and it purrs like a kitten, pull on a switch and what you expected to turn on does and your not gonna kill anyone because your ride is unsafe then rock that thing! VW guys, especially abroad, have been doin it longer than Rods Rods. It gave me hope to know that I could finally enjoy something cool. Now I have a 67 fleet s/b in my driveway and I'm hanging out with you fine people and I am on top of the world right now. I can't wait to get on my sunglasses and flip flops, hang my arm out the window and roll!!
i agree, i built my 75 nova into a semi show car nice paint etc. i got sooo burn out on car shows. Some of the people haveing there trailer queens have to use a rag, to drive it into the parking spot and some just thinking there stuff is better than yours or criticizing little stuff about the car. I also worried about something happening to it. I was gonna built my 71 into a show truck but this happened and i thank God it did. I now want just some reliable nice cruisers i go to the cruise in's and parades now and just spectate at shows mostly. I found my self wanting more of a "hot rod", "rat rod" more than a nice painted car now.

My painter told me while he worked on my nova that "if i ever quit having fun at this (body work) i'm stopping right then.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote