The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

Top End Questions???

OK guys im getting ready to park the the 69 and do sum major work on her. i wanna build her up for just a weekend shoot the loop ride. i wanna do major stuff to the engine i know most horse power comes from the top end stuff. but i get onto summits website and its like uhh casue i have no idea what kinda stuff im looking at. i wanna buy sumkinda whole top end kit from them. maybe a dual quad set up. dunno? but i look at the stuff and see cam sizes and head cumbustion chamber sizes and it just confuses the heck outta me. any help is greatly appreciated

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
jlmtrout

Call any of the cam manufacturers, tell them what you want to build and trust their recommondations, they know their stuff and will keep you from choosing the wrong cam. If you build high horsepower, you need to beef up the bottom end if you want the engine to live. As far as the rest of the top end, go to any good book store and pick up a high performance or hot rodding manual. These are generally in depth enough to answer any of your questions. High performance magazines are also a good source of ideas, though due to space restrictions, they just gloss over the highpoints of their buildups. Hope this points you in the right direction. Dual quads look cool on the street, but they are more trouble than they are worth unless you are planning to sink about 8-10 grand into an engine, then you have to beef up the brakes, transmission, and rear end. Plus, since there is so little weight over the rear axle, mega horsepower equals nothing but tire smoke, it's hard to get a lot of power to the ground. Good luck and keep on truckin'....Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Are you doing a full rebuild on the motor????

cam/intake/heads/headers all depend on what you want for performance and what you budget will allow.

before just buying parts...decide what you want for a motor and decide what your budget is first.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Purs
Got Big Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing
before just buying parts...decide what you want for a motor and decide what your budget is first.
Wiser words were never spoken..... well, you know what I mean.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Just build a 383!!
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
tomatocity

I agree with the others.

Think of it as a Project. Now you need to manage this Project. Submit the Project Plan to the Project Manager (you) with the proposed Parts and Machine Shop costs. Compare these costs to a Crate engine or an Already Built engine from whomever. Proper Project Management will save you Time, Money, and Headaches.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfthing2000
Just build a 383!!
I like having a big block though. after getting used to seeing it id feel like i was looking at a 4 banger under my hood. after looking under the hood of my truck then looking at dads truck 350. it looks way way to small to be in a truck

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"

Last edited by TireSmoke420; 08-24-2005 at 11:42 PM.
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote