The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Mr.Hyde

discouraged

So I have been doing my body work for awhile now and I'm to the point where I'm starting to get discouraged by all the uneven gaps and dents and hours of sanding and bondo. So I'm looking for some advice to help me with my weekend garage time maybe something to help motivate me, I've been told beer works..

I've been trying to figure out how my brackets should be set up for my alternator and this seems to be the best answer I've come up with so far... what do you think am i crazy stupid or just wrong here?

For any of the guys with smaller shops, that stripped their panels to bare steel; then repainted. How did you find it was easiest to juggle and organize all this? it seems like I'm moving parts back and forth and not really getting anything done. What was your quickest cleanest method of stripping the paint? At the same time keeping this all organized?

could i get some detailed pictures of the shift linkage for the tott shifter?

I'm sure i will have more questions later as I get goin this weekend. btw trying to get my truck ready for paint and painted in a single car garage..

Member of tailgate association of manitoba

Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 06-05-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: giant picture
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: discouraged

Don't be discouraged! It's a big task, so take it 1 panel at a time.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
JointTech

even one panel at a time gets discouraging. ask me how I know
I have to move on to other stuff as well. working on my steering column now. (also discouraging).
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
steelhorse

Just like a brick wall, just do 1 piece at a time and it will happen. If it was easy you wouldn't see so many old cars rotting away in peoples back yards. If you want some motivation just look at some of the super nice trucks on this site.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Just like a brick wall, just do 1 piece at a time and it will happen. If it was easy you wouldn't see so many old cars rotting away in peoples back yards. If you want some motivation just look at some of the super nice trucks on this site.
Actually for me what gets me discouraged IS seeing all super nice trucks on this site.. LOL!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
GoaterAz

I can only tell you what works for me (mechanically a big dummy), I never focus on the big picture. I only focus on small tasks, goals are very important. I'm not talking about "I want my truck to be driving by the end of the year" it's more of "I want take off the water pump, alternator and front pullies tonight."

A mechanic could probably knock that out in 14 minutes, but I take my time, label every single bolt, take pictures and clean the parts after I remove them. Before you know it, 3 hours and a 8 beers later, I've got an organized set of clean parts and a nice buzz going, lol. But seriously, the smaller the goal, the more you will feel accomplished and the more you will enjoy working on the truck. At least for me, when it's done, it won't be nearly as fun as working on it now.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoaterAz View Post
I can only tell you what works for me (mechanically a big dummy), I never focus on the big picture. I only focus on small tasks, goals are very important. I'm not talking about "I want my truck to be driving by the end of the year" it's more of "I want take off the water pump, alternator and front pullies tonight."

A mechanic could probably knock that out in 14 minutes, but I take my time, label every single bolt, take pictures and clean the parts after I remove them. Before you know it, 3 hours and a 8 beers later, I've got an organized set of clean parts and a nice buzz going, lol. But seriously, the smaller the goal, the more you will feel accomplished and the more you will enjoy working on the truck. At least for me, when it's done, it won't be nearly as fun as working on it now.
I second that as far as small goals. I work on my truck every day, but maybe only an hour or 2 at a time, if it's a big job or very involved. Moving on to other projects can help, except if you don't finish anything, then you have a bunch of things disassembled and a LOT of discouragement! Instead of switching projects, switch hobbies. I work on models, play music, exercise, and play video games. When the truck upsets me or gets me down, I move on to another hobby, instead of tearing down more of what is already bugging me!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoaterAz View Post

You sound like me. I pick some insignificant small project on the truck and try to finish it. Often with a couple of beers! Some weeks that might be all I got done, and other weeks I might finish a bunch of small projects. Over time it adds up and the truck starts to get finished. After about 4 years I'm about done and kind of wish I had something else to work on! However, I can always find something else to do on it. It seems like these projects are never really done.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
MattPSU

I'll agree with the small steps approach and add this:

If you haven't already, try to find some other local members. Start by posting in your regional section. If that doesn't work, post an add on Craigslist. Pick a Saturday and a local restaurant and see who shows up.

Last summer about 7 of us started getting lunch together one Saturday every 4-6 weeks. It's grown to a club of nearly 200 members who get together one a month. Usually we have 30-40 trucks show up and about 50 or so members. I can probably speak for most of us from that group when I say that I leave those get together's full of motivation. Seeing completed trucks, talking with other people who are passionate about these trucks, and picking each others brains get me excited to get back into the garage. It's also good to talk with locals about what you're having trouble with. I've met members who's weaknesses are my strengths and vise-versa so we've ended up helping each other.

Here's a picture of 3 of us last November, and some of the trucks at our March get together. Tell me that's not motivating!

Good luck and keep at it! - Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Daddy'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
I'll agree with the small steps approach and add this:

If you haven't already, try to find some other local members. Start by posting in your regional section. If that doesn't work, post an add on Craigslist. Pick a Saturday and a local restaurant and see who shows up.

Last summer about 7 of us started getting lunch together one Saturday every 4-6 weeks. It's grown to a club of nearly 200 members who get together one a month. Usually we have 30-40 trucks show up and about 50 or so members. I can probably speak for most of us from that group when I say that I leave those get together's full of motivation. Seeing completed trucks, talking with other people who are passionate about these trucks, and picking each others brains get me excited to get back into the garage. It's also good to talk with locals about what you're having trouble with. I've met members who's weaknesses are my strengths and vise-versa so we've ended up helping each other.

Here's a picture of 3 of us last November, and some of the trucks at our March get together. Tell me that's not motivating!

Good luck and keep at it! - Matt
Very cool idea!

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have to walk away once in a while, and kick rocks or something. Most of the time, the project looks a little brighter when I return. If it was easy, there would be a body shop on every street corner.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
michael bustamante

Go to a car show. Thats very motivating
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
davepl

As others have said, small bites. Also vary the menu. I added a third brake light startup strobe module to a late-model just to break it up a little yesterday.

Worst case, tidy up and walk away for a week or two. I start to miss it fairly quick, UNLESS I've left myself a mess that I don't want to touch.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
oldschool18

I started my truck a year and a half ago and was very discouraged many times, I didn't even touch it for about 6 months cause of being discouraged and then knee surgery on top of that. But after the knee surgery I wanted to work on it but I couldn't and now it is slowly coming together. I tore mine down to the frame and then put the new motor and tranny in when it was easiest to do it. But when it came to body work I focused on the cab and doors and then when that was done I went to the fenders and then to the hood, heck the bed is sitting on a cart in my driveway in the same spot for over a year now. I got a little notebook and I make a list of tasks that need done and try to make them in the order they should be done also, once I fill the page I stop and as I get them done I cross them off. And then the next sunday night I tear off the page and start a new one starting with the stuff that didn't get done the week before and then adding new stuff. this way you can look at the list and see what your getting done and you wont get lost in the stuff that needs done. And a mini fridge in the garage with beer in it helps too.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
2 Far Gone

Like the other guys have said, "Small Steps" is the best advice. Little jobs that add up to a big job done.
That whats been getting me through.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
jocko

try to not set a self-imposed end date and focus on enjoying the road to get there. Take some pressure off yourself to get it to the show. Having said that, I'm dying to drive my truck too. Ha. Hang in there, the fun comes in waves, as does the frustration.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Mr.Hyde

I set myself the goal of the cab forward being painted and assembled but I find myself destracted by other things. Oh here's another question what is the all around gaping supposed to measure? And is there shims between the fender and grill?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #18
69-72

A good trick for setting gaps is to run down to Home Depot and pick up some of those paint stirring sticks they give out. They work great for getting an even gap.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #19
Mr.Hyde

Oh sorry forgot to mention it's a 1968 what are the measurement under the door?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Matt Cramer

This may be a source of inspiration. Here's a thread on another board where someone had a '72 that turned out to be seriously rusted, and he only had a couple minutes a day to work on it. He was planning to scrap it when several forum members talked him into just plowing ahead anyway.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...n/59103/page1/

So he finally got working on it a little at a time and has been making great progress.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #21

I usually throw stuff when things are not going my way!! Small bites works. Know that this kind of work will/does take a LONG time, and it is OK to just walk away from it when you have to.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #22
ho70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
So I have been doing my body work for awhile now and I'm to the point where I'm starting to get discouraged by all the uneven gaps and dents and hours of sanding and bondo. So I'm looking for some advice to help me with my weekend garage time maybe something to help motivate me, I've been told beer works..

I've been trying to figure out how my brackets should be set up for my alternator and this seems to be the best answer I've come up with so far... what do you think am i crazy stupid or just wrong here?

For any of the guys with smaller shops, that stripped their panels to bare steel; then repainted. How did you find it was easiest to juggle and organize all this? it seems like I'm moving parts back and forth and not really getting anything done. What was your quickest cleanest method of stripping the paint? At the same time keeping this all organized?

could i get some detailed pictures of the shift linkage for the tott shifter?

I'm sure i will have more questions later as I get goin this weekend. btw trying to get my truck ready for paint and painted in a single car garage..
I would bolt the lower bracket to the lower hole as anchoring the two brackets with one bolt could not have a happy ending if one bolt comes loose.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
Tinkermc

SmALL steps, like a fender. do the font of the fender then the center and end up with the rear of it. Then another panel.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
Mr.Hyde

thats what im thinking i will go for for an approach, today i did a little uphostry took a break from body work, i find if i stick to one thing too long it loses my attention i start making mistakes and i procrastinate. So i ran around took care of a few exhaust things and what not.

I still need a good base for what i am doing tho. so i really need to know..

has anyone had to shim their cab for height

has anyone had to shim the front rad support?

what is the measurement of the front rad support body bushing.

how have guys with ram horn manifold run their exhaust?

has anyone struggled getting their door gaps perfect?

if i want to do a preliminary engine start what do i need to do to start it and kill power to it?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #25
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
thats what im thinking i will go for for an approach, today i did a little uphostry took a break from body work, i find if i stick to one thing too long it loses my attention i start making mistakes and i procrastinate. So i ran around took care of a few exhaust things and what not.

I still need a good base for what i am doing tho. so i really need to know..

has anyone had to shim their cab for height

has anyone had to shim the front rad support?

what is the measurement of the front rad support body bushing.

how have guys with ram horn manifold run their exhaust?

has anyone struggled getting their door gaps perfect?

if i want to do a preliminary engine start what do i need to do to start it and kill power to it?
Every truck after 40 plus years of abuse or lack of use is going to be different when it comes to shims here or there etc. trial and error are what's needed in that regard to see if your truck has some tweaks here and there. As for the initial engine start,ideally once you start the engine you want to break in the cam at 2400-2600 RPM for at least 20 minutes without shutting it off. And letting the engine rpm vary between those speeds. In case of a need to turn off engine due to leak over heating a kill switch at the coil will do. Use just water in rad to break in engine and use cam break in lube for best results. Change oil once cam is broken in. Also make sure your valves are adjusted correctly before attempting to start engine,too much cranking without start will have adverse effects to the camshaft.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote