The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
JustOneTruck

Question Help Dual Tanks 84 gmc

Hi all Im scratching my head on this thing .

Here goes I have a 84 gmc 6.2 l Diesel with dual tanks. I put 10 gallons in and let it sit during the day I get a spot about 18 inches on the ground .I check and see and I have those dang tank protectors around it . I look but cant see anything. For some reason I open the lid on the tank and open the cap it has a ton of pressure in it. At first I think its becuase the temp of the gas in the ground is cold and it exspands at the temp of what is above ground so I put the cap back on and thinking nothing of it . The next day I go to work and park in another dry spot And after work I get the same thing. This time I pull the cap and lots of pressure again and a leak under the truck . Lastly I leave the cap loose all week and it dont leak . Not a drop . What should I be looking for. I filled it full last night no leaks this moring cap loose no drops at all

. Its 84 gmc diesel long bed --- Electric swtich for tank switching.

Thanks all
JustOneTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Did you try a new cap yet? I've seen the check valve go bad in them before.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
86 GMG

replace cap first and then we can go from there like 60-66 nut said
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Drivin' Miss Daisy
Account Suspended

Might also check the rubber hose from the filler to the tank. My truck did similar thing and that is what it turned out to be. Also if you top off the tank to max full it can leak from around this hose until the level of fuel is below the hose. I just had to tighten the hose clamps and the problem was solved.
Drivin' Miss Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
80BIG10
3 lefts make a right

I kinda have the same problem. I had the truck in the shop last week to take care of some alignment problems and the guy comes back to me at the end and tells me I have a fuel leak (but they don't work on fuel systems). He said it was inside the passinger side frame rail where the fuel line and the fuel pump hook up. There is a small ruber (3/8's) line that conects each line to the pump. Now I did smell gas the day before I took it in but thought it was another car next to me. Needless to say I have filled both tanks - switched between the two tanks - left the truck running for 20 min each time and can find nothing and I haven't smelled anymore gas over a week now.

I guess I'm just going to wait until I smell gas and then crawl under again and see where exacly it is coming from.
80BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
JustOneTruck

New caps in place .I`m still getting a leak now . Looks like its time to take them tanks down and replace or replace the rotted hoses on them.
Any one have great directions on the best way to remove these dang tanks.

Thanks
JustOneTruck is offline   Reply With Quote