The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
69GMCCustom

1980 swap

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1980 chevy stepside 4x4 that can't pass smog. I've been reading on here and it appears the power steering, power brakes, a/c, etc will fit into my 69 GMC, but I'm honestly tempted to just drop my entire body on the 4x4 frame. The only problem I see is that my GMC is a longbed and the 1980 is a stepside. Are there other huge problems in moving my body, ot should I just gut this newer truck to upgrade my old beast.

BTW. Although I love the stock look of my truck, I am going to have to add power steering, power brakes, a/c (it was an a/c truck it's just all missing) because if I am going to drive it, it needs to be safe, and a long bed on standard drum brakes comes to a stop in about 12 miles lol.

THanks everyone, and any opinion is welcome as I am sure some people would never do this.

1970 Chevy Custom.
69GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 1980 swap

There are a number of threads on doing this swap. Everything from new body mounts to a wheelbase mismatch are issues. On the flip side IIRC the 80 accessory drive is all long water pump and not a straight drop in piecemeal. But if you swap everything over to the long style with the 4x4s engine setback you should be good to go. I'd transplant driveline parts and add the accessories you need or want.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
69GMCCustom

Re: 1980 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
There are a number of threads on doing this swap. Everything from new body mounts to a wheelbase mismatch are issues. On the flip side IIRC the 80 accessory drive is all long water pump and not a straight drop in piecemeal. But if you swap everything over to the long style with the 4x4s engine setback you should be good to go. I'd transplant driveline parts and add the accessories you need or want.
The P.O. of this truck dropped in a 400 pontiac motor, so I figured I would rebuild the 350 in the 80's to remove all the smog crap, and give it descent hp, then I would be running the full setup so my pulleys should line up perfectly. I did a search and as you all know, 80 4x4 frame gets me every match of frame ever listed, but I will look through them carefully to learn all I can from previous attempts.

Thanks.

1970 Chevy Custom.
69GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote