The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
dtkarst

1960 Stepside Apache Yes or no?

Theres a guy who has a 1960 Apache C10 short stepside for sale about an hour from where i live. I already have a 63 4 wheel drive but I for some reason dont have the desire to tear into it yet so i drive it. But this 1960 isnt too bad of a truck...i think. lol. I went to look at it and it has a 350 in it and 4 speed. needs inner fenders, rockers, the mounts under the cab and teh supports under the cab are almost completely gone. One of the fenders on the bed needs replaced but i have a parts bed for that. I would almost be better off finding another cab for it but i hate taking that much original equipment off. Maybe im too particular. But he wants $1,500 for it and i dont know if thats too much for it. Im in between. Heres a link to it:

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/75122/

Everything looks good in pictures and it looks better in these pics but cab needs quite a bit of work, like i said bondo in rockers and fenders. few holes in the floor, etc. Just want some opinions on it.
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 1960 Stepside Apache Yes or no?

No matter how cheap you can get it, I would suggest considering how much money and labor it will take to turn it into something you’d be happy with. Then consider what it would be worth after you invested all that effort. If that value is equal to or less than what it takes to get it there, pass on this one and look for one in better shape. Mechanical repairs are easy. Rust and body surgery are expensive and tedious. Ask yourself honestly if you will enjoy the experience of owning it and doing all the work you already know it needs.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
dtkarst

Youre right and I have been considering it. I would like to own it because its a pretty neat truck but there isn't anything that stands out about it. Not a big window or anything special. Needs a lot of cab work but they all need rust repair. I might let it pass just because around here there are quite a few sitting in fields everywhere you look.it runs and rives nice but pretty far from original and im the type to restore some things back to factory. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
NWGreaser

I would buy that in a heartbeat. A decent '60 or '61 in my area is impossible to find.
NWGreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
dtkarst

Still up in the air. Around here thats probably about a 800-1000 dollar truck. They're everywhere
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I certainly don’t mean to be discouraging. I’ve had a lot of fun building street rods over the years, but I’ve made a couple of impulse buys that never amounted to anything. Months of labor and hundreds of dollars diverted, and in the end I was more disappointed in the time and labor I’d wasted than whether or not I broke even. When I first saw that truck posted a few days ago I thought it looked like a pretty good bargain, but your evaluation sounds very realistic. If you can see that much cancer on the first pass, I would evaluate it as a parts truck. The most valuable thing it may have to offer is that hood. Those early models are highly desirable and hard to find in good condition.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
dtkarst

Well I usually tend to stay away from vehicles with bondo. I have a limit on it, as in if a vehicle has a few little holes patched with it its ok, but this had the bottoms of the fenders done, rockers, i could see straight through the bottom of the cab corners, all the fun stuff. The rear crossmember had a chain wrapped around it when it got stuck and its bent so bad im worried about frame damage. I think I will let this one go. I gave him my offer and he said he wouldnt let it go for that and so i told him to let me know when he would. Its not the only one they made that year! haha
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
duallyjams

I would pass. When I look at trucks I try to see if I could part it out and make back the asking price and if the answer is no I pass and move on but if the answer is yes then it would be worth buying because you will never lose your money if decide to sell it later or even parting it out.I just looked at a 65 short bed here and the only thing that was any good was the short wheel base frame the cab was exactly the same as the one you looked at.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote