The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #1
SCOTI

Gauges.... Who, What, Where?

I've been researching some replacement gauges for the 74.

What I want is something along the lines of Autometer accurracy w/o the freaking 200mph speedo or 10,000rpm tach w/the 1" tall numbers across the face because it only has a stock 74 350ci engine. I'm looking for something a little more subtle.

I looked @ Redline Gaugeworks & they have some cool stuff but nothing along the lines of replacement guages that will fit a stock 74 guage bezel. VDO? I can't seem to find much selection. Classic Instruments also seems to have some nice stuff but the web-site is a little slim on certain size/color details.

Any suggestions on other manufacturers? Likes/dis-likes?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Gauges.... Who, What, Where?

So you don't like this look? It has to be the nicest way to intergrate aftermarket gauges with a 73-87 dash I have ever seen....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-20-2005 at 01:44 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
SCOTI

Yes, they do look good . . . ... just not the right look for my 74. Those 1" tall numbers just scream "look @ me". I would rather something you might not notice.

Ken, you of all people gotta admit those Autometers, even though they look cool, would look very out of place in your truck. Same scenario w/my truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
1979blkchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
So you don't like this look? It has to be the nicest way to intergrate aftermarket gauges with a 73-87 dash I have ever seen....

wow who did this with the autometer gauges I owuld love to have something like this done if i could just find the right people to do that kind of job
1979blkchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
shrtbx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979blkchevy View Post
wow who did this with the autometer gauges I owuld love to have something like this done if i could just find the right people to do that kind of job
I would too. I just dont have the time to work on stuff like this anymore.
shrtbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
78-5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979blkchevy View Post
this is what i want !! those gauges ! do you have the part # for them all ??? did you modifly the bezel much???

Last edited by 78-5.3; 11-08-2009 at 06:32 PM.
78-5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I agree. I just thought you might want to revisit that idea. That's exactly why I went with a restored OEM dash. I couldn't find anything aftermarket that didn't look aftermarket.

Just build a stock dash...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

Hey anyone have some details on that setup? like what was used or how they got them mounted? I like and and want to put something like that in the 86.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454
Hey anyone have some details on that setup? like what was used or how they got them mounted? I like and and want to put something like that in the 86.
Check out the 73-87 site that Jeff maintains. A lot of real good information. If you look in the 'Garage' section, you'll find the details on how to surface mount or recess aftermarket gauges. Good luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 11-21-2005 at 02:04 AM.
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
boxrodz

It seems autometer has the largest selection of gauges. Classic Instruments seem to popular for the classic/antique look. VDO used to be real popular. A couple of other sites that you might want to try are Stewart Warner and Haneline. The Teleflex Chrome Amega may be something that may interest you. Their Haneline elite is similar, but I'm not too sure 'bout the 'inverted swoosh' graphic on the gauge face. (But, I guess it's better than the dolphin stamp the the face of the Dolphin gauges. )

I know what you mean 'bout the 200 mph gauges and high RPM gauges. It all good for the track, but as a cruiser ??? BTW, did you see the Autometer's Designer Black series. They're subtle in design. But, IMO, the Haneline's Teleflex Chrome Amega look good.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 11-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
It seems autometer has the largest selection of gauges. Classic Instruments seem to popular for the classic/antique look. VDO used to be real popular. A couple of other sites that you might want to try are Stewart Warner and Haneline. The Teleflex Chrome Amega may be something that may interest you. Their Haneline elite is similar, but I'm not too sure 'bout the 'inverted swoosh' graphic on the gauge face. (But, I guess it's better than the dolphin stamp the the face of the Dolphin gauges. )

I know what you mean 'bout the 200 mph gauges and high RPM gauges. It all good for the track, but as a cruiser ??? BTW, did you see the Autometer's Designer Black series. They're subtle in design. But, IMO, the Haneline's Teleflex Chrome Amega look good.
I forgot about Haneline gauges so I'll do some web surfing on them.

For now, my current choice is the Classic Instruments 'Hot Rod Series' which can be viewed @ www.classicinstruments.com under the 'Our Products' icon & selecting 'Instrument Series' & scroll down through the list/pics. The SG Series wouldn't look bad if I had them do the custom color option to a tan color but I'm afraid to find out what the cost would be.

I sent an e-mail request w/some P/N's for pricing so we'll see how much they are.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I'm going with an updated OEM dash. I've got a full gauge cluster (with tach) out of a 77 that I plan on using in my 75. Mine is going to be a hybrid of the two years as I plan on keeping my mechanical oil pressure gauge and have to omit the stock ammeter for a voltmeter. My only beef is that I don't like the OEM font for the letters/numbers used. I've been thinking about coming up with my own gauge overlay with a better looking font (think Silverado SS cluster or an Escalade Font). Still White letters on Black backgrounds just updated and subtle. I've seen the white face overlay's on ebay and just can't stand white gauges. Screams "ricer" to me.

Got to do a lot of planning on the layout for accuracy but I think it's doable.. Just need a couple of junk gauges to practice on....
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:14 AM   #13
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I forgot about Haneline gauges so I'll do some web surfing on them.

For now, my current choice is the Classic Instruments 'Hot Rod Series' which can be viewed @ www.classicinstruments.com under the 'Our Products' icon & selecting 'Instrument Series' & scroll down through the list/pics. The SG Series wouldn't look bad if I had them do the custom color option to a tan color but I'm afraid to find out what the cost would be.

I sent an e-mail request w/some P/N's for pricing so we'll see how much they are.
The Classic Instruments' Hot Rod series don't look too bad. I like the trim ring profile... very classic look. I guess they would have to be surface mounted to show. The G/Stock series don't look too bad either. (But, not quite as subtle.)

A custom color would be unique, but you're probably right 'bout the $$$. It looks like there's a inner ring (just inside of the chrome trim ring. Maybe, a custom color could be just applied to it to ascent the gauges and complement your interior.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
74 shorty

I think dakotadigital has a digital dash that looks goo and really doesn't look out of place. I comes in four or five colors but wallet draing at I think $4-500 sending units and all but you still have to use youre bezel.
74 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #15
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

The Dakota Digital's aren't what SCOTI is looking for, but I have them for $485.95 + $20 shipping.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/merc...tegory_Code=7G
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
84 PUMPKIN

On a stock/mild custom truck it's hard to beat the look of a factory cluster. My favorite is the C40-C60 cluster with the tach/fuel gauge built together. That leaves the bottom left hole open for a clock, air gauge, or a vaccum gauge. I just finished one of these about a month ago for a friend of mine and it looks killer in his '75 K10.
On a pro street/hotrod truck the Autometers look really nice. I've done them in two or three trucks and they look right at home with rollbars and air shifters.
On a full custom/show truck the Dakota gauges look pretty cool. I helped a friend install his and they turned out nice. They really look good at night.

Those are my thoughts for what they're worth.
84 PUMPKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:50 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 PUMPKIN
On a stock/mild custom truck it's hard to beat the look of a factory cluster. My favorite is the C40-C60 cluster with the tach/fuel gauge built together. That leaves the bottom left hole open for a clock, air gauge, or a vaccum gauge. I just finished one of these about a month ago for a friend of mine and it looks killer in his '75 K10.
Yeah, I wish I had done that to my 77 dash. You got any pics....

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-24-2005, 12:11 AM   #18
1980chevy4x4
Got Mud?

What are the 3 LEDs for?

Got mud?
1980chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #19
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The LED's are for my park brake, high beams and choke light, respectively, left to right. After installing the gauges, the stock ones are gone. I have now moved them to a better looking location since I installed a floor shifter and had some place to put them. I also didn't want to start drilling holes in my billet bezel.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #20
laynlow77

i love my dakota digitals...the just look so clean! i also really like the autometers...by the way that is a very good price on the dakota digitals when i bought mine i couldnt find em for much less than 600
laynlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

heres my setup from tpi
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ
heres my setup from tpi
I like those

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-25-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #23
SSC's76
No No

The TPI setup is awsome, only problem is your going to need the coulm to match now.

I sure do love having a vacuum gauge, it helps me know when my truck isnt running it's best.
Attached Images

Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler

Last edited by SSC's76; 11-25-2005 at 02:00 PM.
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76
The TPI setup is awsome, only problem is your going to need the coulm to match now.
Could you elaborate on your statement? What needs to be changed w/the column?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #25
84 PUMPKIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ
heres my setup from tpi
Those look cool.
They have the same font as '62 thru '67 Harley-Davidson FLH's.
84 PUMPKIN is offline   Reply With Quote