The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
McKenna

Transmission Opinions please

Heyy guys My names Greg. Im from New Brunswick Canada, 20 years old, my dad bought this 70 step side shortie back in 95 (I was 5 at the time so i always remebered it growing up) he rebuilt it himself over the next 5 years and had it on the road in 2000, him and my mother split up in 05 or so and the truck was sold to his buisness partner who I come to find out is now selling it, he hasn't even driven the truck since purchase he put it in his heated garage where it sat.

I went down two weekends ago and it fired right up, it has a 350 4 bolt main that was rebuilt sometime 15 years ago with a mild cam,etc nothing spectacular.

So ive decided to sell my baby and buy the truck back, i picked the old truck up for 7000 bucks wether its a good deal or not is irrelavent i bought it for the sentimental value. currently im driving a 03 Subaru WRX with a full Jap Sti drivetrain swap ( 21 PSi of boost and a 6 speed tranny LSD front and rear differentials etc) so i like to play around which brings me to the transmission in this truck.

it has a 4 speed manual with the bull dog low as well as 3:73 Posi rear end, the tranny is really slugish and i hate how long the throw is

Ive done a little reading into the 700R4 and the TH350 etc i think id want the overdrive so a 700R4 would be the guy i want but being used to six speed im kinda curious what is out there for manual transmissions and if i would be able to settle with the Automatic. I know this truck wont have what my car has for power but it has the potential too and its 40 years old which is somthing my car is not.

I guess all in all im wondering what my options are for manual transmissions as it seems like alot of work to swap to automatic but as well i have to question how long my throw will still be with that big awful truck stick. sorry for all of the "noob" questions here im just used to boosted rice burners so this is an all new experiece for me :P even if i knew what the codes were for the manuals that might help me in my search haha

Automatic or Manual guys lets here your opinions

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
flashdad

Re: Transmission Opinions please

Sweet truck! I'm trying to find a good match for my 67 - it has a corvette (71 350) engine and a 3 speed in it now and I'm wanting to upgrade to a 5 speed and matching rear end. I'll be watching your post in case we get some good info (or if for nothing else than to drool over your ride!).
'10 Mustang

"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne
flashdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
McKenna

haha thanks dad has alot of time into it im sure he will cry when i bolt 2 turbos on it :P
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
kaycee

I would like to know more about the toneau cover on it?As far as trans. I think the majority of us would say to get a good built 700r for it but you looking at around a grand + for a nice rebuilt one.I am running a built TH350 in mine and love it on the street but long drives tends to get a little annoying.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

It sounds like you want a Tremec 5 speed. There are companies that make complete bolt in kits for these trucks but be prepared to open your wallet, I think they're around 3K.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
1low

camaro 6 speed can work also
1low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
McKenna

looking to keep this around 1500, truck has an auto rad, I dont mind doing a little custom cross member work im very capable my biggest thing is how far im going to have to slap that shifter to go from gear to gear. were there any 5 speed transmissions from the Iroc camaros or anything that could hold any amount of power as well as bolt up?? somthing tells me im gonna be rebuilding a 700R4 haha

That toneau cover was made by Advance Fabrics here in town, it cost him around 350 Canadian, dropped the truck off and picked it up that night, the used a velcro strip on the inner parts of the bedside to secure the cover rather then clips ( i wasnt a huge fan better then drilling holes etc ) he had to do somthing because the atlantic canadian winters werent good to this box in its younger years so its been patched many times by the looks of it. I must say after 7 years too the covers still mint i can snap some pictures of how it was done if anyones interested, it rolls up and has to ties to hold it up by the cab if you want to haul anything in the bed.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
R.L.

Hi cool truck cool story I'm glad you've found you'r dad's old truck and now it's yours. I have a 700r4 in my 71 stepside, it's not as hard to swap to a auto from a manual as it is to go the other way around; just delete the clutch petel and some pritty strait forward linkage swaping, the process is doable. Now according to the Jan 2011 Custom Classic Trucks magazine you can take a old Camaro 5 speed trans install a S-10 tailshaft to locate the shifter forward enough to clear you'r seat and you're good to go. I imagine the mag is still for sale so you should be able to find it for you'r self. It says the trans you wont is a T5 world class, there are two kinds a earlier model that wont take as much tourk and a later model that will handle 300 horses. If you have trouble finding the mag still on the racks try there website.
Hope this helps. If your not turned off by a auto the 700 r4 is doable.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Manual! I am in the minority I know, but I can't stand to drive autos (boooooriiiing). There are a lot of different ways to go about it but the easiest in my opinion is to find a junkyard t5 like R.L. mentioned and drive it. See here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438224

If you want to spend some cash and not have to worry about the tranny ever giving you trouble go for the new Tremec 5 speed. I'm converting my blazer from auto to manual overdrive at the moment by the way.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMG-TCET5009/

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 02-21-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Check my second post in flashdads thread. The AX15 or r154 trans will do what you want...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448170

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-21-2011 at 01:15 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

First off welcome to the board! That is a nice looking truck, and I understand the sentimental value thing, my truck has been in my family longer than I have! As far as tranny I say keep it manual. You could do the T-5 swap mentioned above, but if you are planning a twin turbo setup in the future the stock s1o or camaro tranny won't hold up to that kind of power. You would have to go with a TKO 500 or 600 to take that abuse (you can get them out of summit racing). Another option would be to get a T56 six speed out of a 98-02 camaro or firebird, they will take about 600 ft/lbs of torque and if you go used they would fit your budget. Some members on here have done the swap, I think shifty was the first and he did a detailed writeup on his install. Hope this helps you out, I have done quite a bit of research on the swap as I plan on doing it one day in my truck.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
McKenna

does anyone know right off where to find the write up on the T-56 tranny im definitely leaning towards that guy itd be nice to know what all I need to put it in my truck.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
ont_guy_38

there is a sticky on the top of this page about it

Sorry wrong transmission

Last edited by ont_guy_38; 02-21-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Noticed it was a different tranny
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote