The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
coyote72

Fun in the snow

Here are a few pics from our trip up to the mountains this weekend. I wish I had some action shots, but at least I got a few. The locker really makes a difference over a limited slip in the front, this was the first trip up to the snow with it. Once the roads were somewhat plowed I just unlocked one hub so I could turn. What does the snow look like elsewhere?
Attached Images

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
coyote72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Manuel Raptor

Re: Fun in the snow

Nice!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
BLUE THUNDER

That looks awesome. I don't even know what that's like. Looks like the K5 can handle almost anything.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
dan42

Is that the Big Bear area? I heard they got quite a bit of snow - cool shots of your truck.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
coyote72

Its close to big bear...Crestline

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Erik V

*face palm* I cant believe I didnt think to turn a hub out. My 71 has a locker up front, 12 bolt posi out back, and on very slick surfaces it steers itself. A friend with a 69 Blazer took me out to Mt.St.Helens a couple Friday's ago for a few hours of fun before dark...which turned into a couple hours of digging, roping, winching, and airing down (of his truck) to get him unstuck, then I somehow managed to drive through the mess he made until we found a wide enough spot to turn around and head back from. All in all great fun, but very cold, dark, and scary when outta cell range. Being the Eagle Scout I am, I took 3 sleeping bags, some water, some white gas cooking surfaces, a pot to boil water in, and 2 incubators (80+lb dogs). Glad I didnt need all that to get through the night.

No pics tho, he forgot his camera, and mine is DOA. We were pushing snow with the bottom of the front bumper, roughly 2-3" lift on both trucks. His GovLoc rear was a PITA, but we did alright.

Erik

edit: oh yeah, reason for facepalm. I led on the way back, and twice I thought I was heading for a ditch. The front tires would grab the edge of the trenches we made driving out there (we even outdrove 2 snomobiles) and sucked me inwards to the ditch. First instinct was to brake, but then reality set in and I powered back outta the ditch onto the road again. My favorite part was cleanup-just left it in my garage over night, in the morning I swept out all the water. Truck looked just as clean after as it did before...actually better since the tires were polished with the snow and looked brand new again.

Last edited by Erik V; 03-04-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
coyote72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik V View Post
*face palm* I cant believe I didnt think to turn a hub out. My 71 has a locker up front, 12 bolt posi out back, and on very slick surfaces it steers itself. A friend with a 69 Blazer took me out to Mt.St.Helens a couple Friday's ago for a few hours of fun before dark...which turned into a couple hours of digging, roping, winching, and airing down (of his truck) to get him unstuck, then I somehow managed to drive through the mess he made until we found a wide enough spot to turn around and head back from. All in all great fun, but very cold, dark, and scary when outta cell range. Being the Eagle Scout I am, I took 3 sleeping bags, some water, some white gas cooking surfaces, a pot to boil water in, and 2 incubators (80+lb dogs). Glad I didnt need all that to get through the night.

No pics tho, he forgot his camera, and mine is DOA. We were pushing snow with the bottom of the front bumper, roughly 2-3" lift on both trucks. His GovLoc rear was a PITA, but we did alright.

Erik

edit: oh yeah, reason for facepalm. I led on the way back, and twice I thought I was heading for a ditch. The front tires would grab the edge of the trenches we made driving out there (we even outdrove 2 snomobiles) and sucked me inwards to the ditch. First instinct was to brake, but then reality set in and I powered back outta the ditch onto the road again. My favorite part was cleanup-just left it in my garage over night, in the morning I swept out all the water. Truck looked just as clean after as it did before...actually better since the tires were polished with the snow and looked brand new again.

That sounds like a good time. I love trips like that, as long as you are prepared for weather, and have some food and water. Unlocking one hub is nicer to steer to me, but nothing like an open front. I have manual steering though so I feel everything.

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link