The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
ammocrypta

help with fuel system problem??

Hey all. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have regarding this problem. Trying to get my 69 C-10 running again, been garaged for about 3-4 years since it last ran. I was not getting fuel to the carb. so I replaced the fuel filter and pump with no good results. To make a long story short, I found the problem in the gas tank - not getting any flow from it. I blew it out with compressor and am now getting flow to the carb. I also installed an inline filter right below the gas tank. The wierd thing is that I can crank and crank, with no result. No smell of flooding whatsoever, which I don't understand. I can get it to briefly come to life with a shot of starting fluid, but apparently no gas is getting into the carb. I double checked to make sure the filter was in correctly, but to no avail. Any advice?

Much thanks in advance!
Chris
ammocrypta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
lowrider79

Have you cleaned the carb it maybe full of junk from evaporated gas and the needle may be stuck
lowrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
midyearvet@aol.

No Fuel from tank

Check the sock type filter on the pick up tube on gas tank sending unit inside gas tank. I had one on an old Chrysler one time that you could see thru but would not allow gas thru it. If the vehicle has been sitting that long the gas could have turned to shellac. This strainer type filter would surely be plugged. You might also check the rubber fuel hose between steel fuel line and fuel pump. If it has any cracks the pump will not draw the gas up from the tank.
Rick / Ca.

Last edited by midyearvet@aol.; 08-09-2005 at 11:02 PM.
midyearvet@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
lowrider79

2 barrel or 4 barrel carb? If you want to be sure it is or is not the fuel tank or fuel pump disconnect the fuel line at the carb put the open end of the gas line into a pop bottle and have someone turn it over for a few seconds. it should fill the bottle in a few seconds. Make sure to remove the coil wire first.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
cdowns

disconnect the fuel line from the carb/ crank over the engine if you have a strong flow of gas out of the fuel line then your trouble is in the carb it will probabally need to be disasassembled and cleaned at a minimum/ if you have no flow while cranking then it's either a bad pump or the lines are clogged with crap or as stated already inside the tank on the fuel pickup there's a filtering screen(sock) that maybe clogged with crap//
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 08-09-2005 at 11:20 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
ammocrypta

Thanks lowrider. So that would explain the brief start from the starting fluid? There is some part of the carb not letting fuel in? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm learning as I go.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM   #7
ammocrypta

Thanks midyearvet. The problem is now at the carb. Everything else is clear! I changed the hoses coming from the tank and at the fuel pump.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
ammocrypta

my thoughts as well. Is there anything I can do before I call the tow truck? Gas is getting there (to the carb), but only starting fluid briefly 'starts' it.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
lowrider79

if you don't know and understand carbs find someone who does it will be well worth your time.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
ammocrypta

I agree. Do you have any advice on how I should proceed? A rebuilt carb. or even another type of carb.? I'm willing put the money into reviving this thing. Thanks!
Chris