The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
greygoose

In need of a little help

First off,hope that every one enjoyed the Christmas....I'm on a tight budget,and honestly I'll be getting a lot of parts second hand,but that's all right with me.What I need to know is,what cars or trucks have a 4 barrel intake manifold and carb setup I could use from the junk yard.To replace the 2 barrel setup that I have now on the 307? If anyone knows of a drop in replacement(so to speak)that would be just great.And another question,some spark plugs have oil on them but it still fires up good,should I just take the heads off and do all the valve spring seals and leave it at that or do the whole motor.My future plan is when I get everything else done is to do a nice engine and trans swap,so if I can avoid doing all the work to this motor now,it would help me reach my gold that much faster....Thanks
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
LuckyHenriksen

Re: In need of a little help

I think you should look around on craigslist, there are people selling used, very simple, edelbrock intake manifolds and small eddy/holley carbs. They usually don't want a lot of money for them, especially if you get a dirty one and put some elbow grease into cleaning it up
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

I agree with Lucky on the carb. I like the Q-jet but if you can't rebuild one yourself the Edelbrock Performer AFB style is the best choice. Like Lucky said there are a lot of used Performer intakes floating around. You can replace the valve seals without pulling the heads by putting air to the cyl. I would just do the ones that are getting oil on the plugs.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
greygoose

Thanks guys for the replys,but to be honest,I wouldn't really know what to be looking for.Would I be looking for a 307 intake or would a 350 intake manifold work.My skills come from hands on learning,I can fix it, if the part is ordered or I'm getting the exact part,things like that.So if you guys would...what should I be looking for.