The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
J.Cagle

230 I6 carb?

My 230 I6 is all how it came from the factory in '64. It runs and drive great, but recently started running rich. I am thinking about taking it to a guy to either adjust it out( i am not a mechanic) or rebuild it. Should I rebuild the original carb, or is there a better carb I should upgrade too. I drive this truck daily, so I good everyday driver friendly carb is what I am looking for. Thanks, Jared
J.Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
66CHEV

Re: 230 I6 carb?

not sure what yours has originally, was it running ok before, how was the fuel mileage?
I have a 66 with 250 I6, that is my daily driver. i am running a 1 brrl on mine. runs fine but gas mileage is not great. only about 15 mpg. i have thinking of upgrading to at least a 2 brrl
66CHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
glos55

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Cagle View Post
My 230 I6 is all how it came from the factory in '64. It runs and drive great, but recently started running rich. I am thinking about taking it to a guy to either adjust it out( i am not a mechanic) or rebuild it. Should I rebuild the original carb, or is there a better carb I should upgrade too. I drive this truck daily, so I good everyday driver friendly carb is what I am looking for. Thanks, Jared
Check to see if your choke is sticking first before you rip into it.
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

It should have a Rochester model B carb. They are about the simpleest carb out there. Put a kit in it your self or get someone to. Dont go exchanging it for a "remasn" from a parts store. They are seldom any good & often dont match the application. Examine the float to make sure it hasn't leaked gas inside the pontoons. Make sure the base gasket has a passage for vacuum to the hole in the bottom of the carb.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
J.Cagle

The truck was getting bad gas milage. About 10mpg. I assumed it was because of it running rich. I just replaced the fuel pump b/c it was seeping a little gas out. So that was contributing slightly to the bad mpg. There does seem to be a slight vacuum leak. When accelerating you can hear a slight high pitch whistle. I don't know where to even start to look for the vacuum leak. I am in the process of replacing the hose from the carb to the valve cover that the pcv valve is on.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
BMERDOC

If you have the truck, a problem, us, a laptop and enough money to pay someone else why not try to be a mechanic? Tinker. You can't mess it up any worse if you've got a forum of maniacs and some time.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
k1rodeoboater

I rebuilt my rochester B yesterday, it was super easy. I used this link to help me during the rebuild.

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Basic-...arburetor.html

If you follow their instructions and have a mic (optional) you can't screw it up.

As for the vac leak...do you smoke? You can use a lit cigarette and hold it by the hoses/gaskets to see if you can see the smoke get sucked in.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
BMERDOC

See? Go buy a cheap vacuum gauge and measure it. Check your readings and if your not sure check with us. Once it fixed you can use the gauge to adjust your mixture then your friend and his friends...
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
J.Cagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
If you have the truck, a problem, us, a laptop and enough money to pay someone else why not try to be a mechanic? Tinker. You can't mess it up any worse if you've got a forum of maniacs and some time.
Haha, I am trying to get over my "phobia" of working on things. I am definately not scared to tear stuff apart and learn as I go. Thats how I have learned anything so far,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
I rebuilt my rochester B yesterday, it was super easy. I used this link to help me during the rebuild.

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Basic-...arburetor.html

If you follow their instructions and have a mic (optional) you can't screw it up.

As for the vac leak...do you smoke? You can use a lit cigarette and hold it by the hoses/gaskets to see if you can see the smoke get sucked in.
Where'd you get your rebuild kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
See? Go buy a cheap vacuum gauge and measure it. Check your readings and if your not sure check with us. Once it fixed you can use the gauge to adjust your mixture then your friend and his friends...
I don't have a vacuum gauge, or even the slightest clue how to use one. Or for that matter, what one looks like. Please enlighten me on how to use one and where to get one. I want to get this thing running in tip top shape, all by myself!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
BMERDOC

Google Vacuum gauge, use Google Images first. You can get one at Sears. Get a chaep one first and if you wanna upgrade later... Tell us what carb you have.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
k1rodeoboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Cagle View Post
Haha, I am trying to get over my "phobia" of working on things. I am definately not scared to tear stuff apart and learn as I go. Thats how I have learned anything so far,lol.

Where'd you get your rebuild kit?
If a nuckle dragger like myself can do it so can you. I got my kit from a local guy here....but I'm pretty sure he orders everything from LMC or another big distributor. He gives me his pricing on everything, he needs to order so many $ worth of goods a year or they might take away his account with them as a dealer. He doesn't make any money off of me buying the parts, but I always kick him a little extra as a thank you.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote