The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

It still runs!

First fire up since early June '10 ..... New windshield going in tomorrow so had to get it turned around on the RV pad.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...VIDEO00011.mp4
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Re: It still runs!

Glass is in!

I didn't realize how bad the original windshield was...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
onequickchevy

Sounds good! Now spend more time on the truck and less time with the collectible figurines! Are those fog lights where the grill should be? Just a quick glimpse, but that's what it looked like.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

LOL! I think you're referring to the blue boxes in the bed. Those are from our china set. For some reason my wife thinks that my truck is a catchall... as of now the bed is empty with the exception of the spare tire and the cowl and corner pieces I removed today.

Last June I was driving the truck and all of the sudden it fell on its face and was missing quite badly....figured that it hung a valve open or something. I wasn't in a position to have time to tear it apart so I popped the hood, confirmed that it wasn't puking and had no holes in the pan or block and closed the hood... until yesterday.

The video above was taken yesterday afternoon and it had an intermittent miss that was quite noticable but it revved up no problem. In fact I shut off the engine after taking that video and haven't refired it since.

Today I was thinking "You know? I am going to take this motor out and go through it and replace the heads but I can't remember what heads are on it now.... let me pull a valve cover"......

Well this explains the jumping vac gauge and the thumping miss. How it wasn't doing it all the time I will never know because the exhaust rocker wasn't even touching the valve or spring and the intake rocker was barely hanging on to the spring. I am actually glad that I pulled the cover because the exhaust rocker nut was about to fall off.

Exhaust valve and spring is about a 1/4" higher than the intake (and all the others) with the rockers completely removed. So it looks like it sucked a valve into the seat.

Maybe now the wife will see the urgent need for a set of heads and all the other stuff I want to get done to it. I already bought the cam so I am off and running!

As far as the fog lights yes... years ago I "made" a tube grill for it by hacking the center out of a bent up grill and using the headlight buckets only. I mounted those Hella lights so that people would get the hell out of my way... It also has comet flash strobes in the markers and tail lights (I used this truck at my other job for many years (see profile picture)).