The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
apatz

Newbie Question

A little about myself i got out of the military 3 years ago and now that i finally got a house with a two car garage i started looking for a truck. What i have bought is a 69 custom/10 lwb truck. the truck is very solid except a little rust on the lower part of both doors and in the rocker panels. i will post a few pictures next. I am new to is the older chevy trucks. This truck says it is a 1/2ton but it is 6 lug front and rear and 2wd. THe guy i bought it off of says its a heavy duty. Can you guys give me a little info on this?

Go easy on me I am new to restoring stuff other than my dads 57 willys pickup which was easy build a Big Block stick it in and paint it no body work. Im here to learn as much as i can before i start the tear down.

Plan is to build a SBC and trans for the truck do a complete strip so frame work and paint can be done. Also the spot that will be new to me is i want to bag it also. thanks for the help in advance
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Hawssie

Re: Newbie Question

SIx lug is standard half ton bolt pattern for both 2 and 4wd until 1971 when the 2wd went to 5 lug w/ disc brakes but the 6 lug stayed with the 4wd only. Do you have coils springs or leafs in the back? Probably coils. Maybe take a picture of RPO sticker which is located on the inside of the glove box door(hopefully its still there and readable) and post it. That will tell all the options the truck came with from the factory.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
JOJABOY

Everything you will ever need to know can be found here. Try to search for information you are looking for before posting and asking. It has most likely been covered once or twice. If you run into trouble with the search...some times folks will help you out with some links.

Welcome to the addiction. You will probably find your self spending more time on this site than you will on your truck. LOL Can't wait to see photos.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
apatz

the first pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
apatz

thanks for the info. It is coils in the rear I currently cant pictures of anything else being that the truck is at a friends about a hour and half away. Got to get the garage cleaned and ready for the tear down.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Cool truck. Take a picture of the sticker on the inside of the glove box door and post it here, and others can decipher what you have. Not sure about this "heavy duty" thing the previous owner said, seeing as its a half ton.

Also, I'd probably recommend replacing the side mirror you have with a correct set of round long armed '69 mirrors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
apatz

also from the pictures and the fact that the frame is solid with now rust pit or anything firewall has no rust. it has a 350ci/350turbo trans what do you think the price should be. just curious if i got a good deal like i think
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Not knowing what you paid for it makes it hard to figure out if you got a good deal, but the pictures you posted shows a very nice truck that will be fun to improve and have fun with. Looks to be a fairly solid truck and if the running board rust you are showing is the worst the truck has, then you are off to the races!

Welcome to the site and please keep us up to date.

From a fellow AF prior service person, Than you for your service!

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
apatz

Sorry about that. The price i paid would help out lol. I paid 2500 for it and yes that is the only rust beside on the lower door skins.

Other than that i have been on this forum all weekend i can seem to find a thread on if i should switch to a 5 lug or stay with six also about brake conversions. i would like to get rid of the drums all the way around. Kind of new to this forum thing so if some one could point me in the right direction. thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
CC69Rat

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country.

Great looking truck! You mentioned you wanted to bag it,.. What I would suggest is get the truck running to the point you wouldn't even hesitate to drive it 500+ miles. Solid, dependable, and efficient. Gas mileage is not the greatest in these things so every little bit helps I guess. Then once you're comfortable drop the $$ on lowering it some and/or bags. It's so easy to get amped up, .. lookin through the Summit Racing catalogs .. buying $3-4k worth or suspension parts wont be a good idea unless you can drive it and know it'll get you home. Just my opinion.

For $2,500 around here, I'd say you're in good shape. Just take your time with it. That rust is not a big deal. Outer rockers are easy.

5 lug / 6 lug is really a matter of preference. See the light blue truck on the Truck of the Year ? The main page when you open this forum page? That truck is a 6 lug. Nothing wrong with it atall. Most people (me) just change them over if you go with discs and/or just want 5 lug for more wheel options. You can do 6 lug discs now as I understand it but I have never done one personally. Are you thinking 4 wheel discs?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
apatz

thanks for the info guys.