The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
gmebey

I’m confused, and need some advice

I’m getting ready to teardown my truck and dive into the driver terrain, but I’m conflicted. A co-work who has done a few conversions is being adamant about replacing the carbureted 350 and TH400 with a more modern LS1/LT1 with a700R transmission to make the truck more modern. His only logical argument is “it is better”.

However my thought is I like the simplicity of the 350 and TH400…..BUT…I need some advice from people with more experience restoring/fixing up a 1969 pickup.

My end goal is to have a nice truck as a weekend driver. The only modifications I was planning to do was to update the gauges, add power brakes, put disc brakes on the front and add 3-point seat belts.

I’m looking for options on which is more cost effective between the two options of an engine/tranny update and rebuilding the ones I have.

Is it even worth staying with the older engine and transmission knowing the challenges of maintaining the carbureted engine over the hassle of the engine/tranny swap.

Please provide your opinions.

Thanks,
Gerald
gmebey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: I’m confused, and need some advice

There are quite a few opinions on this swap in the 'Engines and Drivetrains' area Gerald.
I think you'll find several threads about this....and the opinions are pretty varied.
Both are good choices, it depends primarily on you, your budget and your requirements and expectations.
Again, check out the threads in this in the other section.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
jaydelriotx

Re: I’m confused, and need some advice

I like the classic look of an older drivetrain.. But a nice more modern lt1 would be nice also.. hard call
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
cdowns

thank him for his opinion and build it exactly the way you want to/// i really dont care what people think about my stuff. if it makes me happy and smile i am the only one that matters
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydelriotx View Post
I like the classic look of an older drivetrain.. But a nice more modern lt1 would be nice also.. hard call
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too! I like opening my hood and seeing that old timey engine. That's why TBI and a 700r4 are the best combo for me. The TBI hides very well under a stock air cleaner. The fuel pump is missing and there's a few extra wires, but other than that you really can't tell. You will get the occasional "whats up with the 2 fuel lines?" question, but it's mostly stock looking. I even hid my o2 sensor further down so you can't see it. Going to change out my heads in a week or 2, I'll post some pics to show you how stock it looks.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmebey View Post
I’m getting ready to teardown my truck and dive into the driver terrain, but I’m conflicted. A co-work who has done a few conversions is being adamant about replacing the carbureted 350 and TH400 with a more modern LS1/LT1 with a700R transmission to make the truck more modern. His only logical argument is “it is better”.

However my thought is I like the simplicity of the 350 and TH400…..BUT…I need some advice from people with more experience restoring/fixing up a 1969 pickup.

My end goal is to have a nice truck as a weekend driver. The only modifications I was planning to do was to update the gauges, add power brakes, put disc brakes on the front and add 3-point seat belts.

I’m looking for options on which is more cost effective between the two options of an engine/tranny update and rebuilding the ones I have.

Is it even worth staying with the older engine and transmission knowing the challenges of maintaining the carbureted engine over the hassle of the engine/tranny swap.

Thanks,
Gerald
Your friend sounds like a douche. Your current setup is extremely classic and bullet proof. What's next? Cut up the dash, and install a CD player, with bouncing lights? Maybe a small, thick steering wheel? Should he expect you to just blindly trust him there too? It's your truck. Do what YOU want, but there's something to be said for driving a classic that's still got classic running through its veins as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Rufton

Quote:

Thanks,
Gerald
I thought older carbed engine and trans challenges were a park walk compared new tech long term maintenance.

Working on the carbed engines is almost fun.
Working on the computer engines is almost work
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
gmebey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
I thought older carbed engine and trans challenges were a park walk compared new tech long term maintenance.

Working on the carbed engines is almost fun.
Working on the computer engines is almost work
You win with the comment about computer engines being work, I like the classic carbed 350 and TH400!
Just for the record I design high power motor controllers for EV (Electric Vehicles), and personally hate dealing with automotive environments and meeting reliability numbers.

There was a silly posted about cutting up the dash and putting in a CD player....that is another thing I need to "undo" from the prior owner.
gmebey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

For a weekend driver stock rocks, save your $$$. Nothing looks better than a restored engine bay in these trucks. Check mine out in the 'Rose' link below. Not bragging, just sayin.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Tinkermc

This old GMC of mine only has to please ME. So with that in mind that is how she is being built.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
yuccales

Quote:
Couple times a year I pull out the dwell meter, timing light, vacuum gauge, (just cuz I'm bored) and check out the old trucks. Nothing really changes. I've not messed with the A/F in ages and still have 17/18 inches of vac. and have nice dark grey tailpipes. Both have Edelbrock Q-Jets, I've had no problems with them. I enjoy tinkering, which is something I can't do on our Sierra or Malibu. They go to the stealership. So, my vote is keep it old school!
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Eddie H.

There's nothing wrong with the original carbureted engine and TH 400 trans setup.

They are simple, reliable, and easy to work on and maintain.

I drove them when they were new, and considered the "state of the art" in automotive technology.

The new computer controlled engines are nice also, but I personally prefer original powertrains in classic vehicles.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
slomotion
Old Duffer

In the long run, I think you'd be much happier with the stock running gear. Having said that, as they've already mentioned above, it's your truck, your build, your $$ do it your way.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
volksworld

of course its better...so is a new Silverado...so why don't you just drop 35 grand on a new one? challenges of maintaining a carb? you can rebuild a holley with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver! an LS/LT swap is a lot of time and money for a weekend toy...now if you got a complete donor vehicle for free and the 350 had a rod hanging out the side of it....heck you could probably buy a crate motor and have installed in one weekend for less money anyway
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
54belair

Well, the later drivetrain IS better----but,,, Id sure hate to put one in one of these trucks----because they dont belong there!!!
The more stock you leave it the better its overall value will be. But, in the end--its your truck--fix it the way that makes you happy and enjoy it.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Don Quixote

Just my .02 but my ride is a daily-driving work truck that actually does real work. That said, nothing makes crazy like those people who drive around with these huge 4x4 3/4 ton trucks that they use for nothing but hauling groceries and the minions to soccer practice.

Rant complete.

I run my truck half to death about twice a year when the Army decides to move me around. My whole house and my Hyundai roller-skate pile up into a cargo trailer and I will literally hook and go on a moment's notice without any worries. By the way, I am running a marine spec. 350 with an Edelcrock and a 4 speed with a granny. At work I am a computer guy but I would just as soon leave the computers out of my truck. This way I can stash my toolkit in the glove box... a screwdriver, a small crecent wrench and a 9/16". I can take her apart on the side of the road with just those tools.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Chvy2NV

Lets say he wanted a little more power out of the stock 350. Would he be able to use the heads off the LT1 for say ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Orange67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
Lets say he wanted a little more power out of the stock 350. Would he be able to use the heads off the LT1 for say ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Unfortunately, no. the LT1 heads WILL bolt up to a SBC, but the LT1's (92-97) were reverse cooled, so it's the whole enchilada or nothing. not a bad swap, I did one on my old 89 Camaro, but a lot of $$ and work.....

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
my67c20

It really comes down to intended purpose and budget. For a weekend driver, why dump the cash on engine and trans when you can put that money towards things that add the wow factor. If you do alot of freeway the LS1 and 700 might save you some money on gas, long after you recover the initial investment.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
TonyJohnson

You're talking about updating gauges, ect., so you're not a die-hard purist. Do what you want. The way I went, was to update the long block with a '96 Vortech motor. The motor is the same basic design as the classic small block, but has a roller cam, much better heads and was basically a bolt-in. Running a Performer Vortec intake with Edelbrock 600 and a regular coil-in-cap HEI. The main difference is you need to run an electric fuel pump, as the Vortec doesn't have the mount for a manual pump. They are easy to find, as well. Personally, I'd love an LS 6.0 with an NV4500 5-speed-- power, gas mileage and a LOT of upgrade potential. I just don't want to spend another $5K to save $1K (probably high) a year on gas... I think your friend's opinion is as good as anyone, but it's yours that counts.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
HSRACER

What most people forget with the LS motors is all the major modifications that needs to be done. Electrical, fuel systems, exhaust, gauges, accessory drives, A/C integration ,etc. The stock configuration can be made to do whatever you want, I/E low end torque- High RPM horse power- stump pulling or highway cruising with just a little change. Cam, carb and gearing can go a long way.

I have both types of engines in my trucks. I love driving the one with the LS but the cost to make it all work vs the smallblock that was in there is not woth it if you have to do it yourself.
I now look for trucks that are done with LS motors instead of retrofitting them in.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
MSHax

HSRACER brings up a good point that a lot of people don't know or think about. An "LS" engine is the easy part. You need to change out the gas pedal (drive by wire), radiator (steam vent), etc...

expect to spend 7500-11000 for a full ls swap. Seen some bad (corner cutting) installs for about $6K
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Eddie H.

Quote:

Thanks,
Gerald
Yep, those older carbureted engines can really wreck your budget. I've probably spent upwards or 50 or 60 dollars a year keeping mine running for the past 25 years
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
Don Quixote

Eddie, you spend that much? I've had the same screwdriver for 20 years and I spend about $4/year on carb cleaner. Best part, my budget for sensors that blow, $0. You will surely be put in the poorhouse spending $50 a year. I just tightened my license plate bolts and gained 25hp!

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
Eddie, you spend that much? I've had the same screwdriver for 20 years and I spend about $4/year on carb cleaner. Best part, my budget for sensors that blow, $0. You will surely be put in the poorhouse spending $50 a year. I just tightened my license plate bolts and gained 25hp!
You win!