The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Patching floor and putting some new body bushings on 87

I am going to have to replace the passenger side front cab bushing, as well as the rear cab passenger side bushing. The truck always had an awful creaking noise at the passenger floor. There is actually a big rotted hole there, and the cab bushing is basically doing nothing, since it's just a hole in the floor. The back passenger side cab bushing is ok, it's just missing the bottom donut and shim. I know how to weld, but someone told me this is a two-piece floor or something? I don't understand this maybe someone can walk me through? Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
chevymotocross

Re: Patching floor and putting some new body bushings on 87

And to add to this, the cab mount and cab support beams, look fine.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

It is really hard to tell from the picture you posted where exactly the rust is, but you said it is over the cab bushing. The floorpans on these trucks are single walled. Here is a write-up of the 5 piece repair kit we sell being installed by a customer to give you an idea...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=5661.0
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
It is really hard to tell from the picture you posted where exactly the rust is, but you said it is over the cab bushing. The floorpans on these trucks are single walled. Here is a write-up of the 5 piece repair kit we sell being installed by a customer to give you an idea...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=5661.0
Hey thanks for posting up the link for that! It is very informative! Now I know where I screwed up my 86 on the left side. I didn't check the fit with the door before I put it back together. I just assumed that it was okay since everything seemed to be falling into place.

It was kinda too late after all the metalwork, bodywork, and paint were done only to discover that the bottom of my door is scraping my rocker panel. I wasn't very happy to say the least as this was my first real attempt at this. I just wish that I'd have been able to have found a post like that before I started cutting on my truck.

Is the only way to fix this to cut it all out and start from scratch again? I bought a brand new GM rocker panel and put it in the last time, and now it looks like I will have to scrap it if I need to cut everything out to redo mine.
I replaced everything on mine, even the kick panel the last time, but I just can't live with it looking as it does. I'll bet mine dropped a good 1/2 inch at the front after I cut all the rust out, and I didn't even know it.

I have already bought another GM rocker, Goodmark inner and outer cab corner. Do I need to order the inner rocker and all the other parts all over again to fix this? And one more question. How do you support the front of the cab up to get the alignment right? Floor jack and big long block of wood? If so, where do you place the wood so that you can be sure that it is going to be out of the way enough to fit everything up?

Strange thing is that the right hand side went together without a hitch and looks really good. If I can't find a way to fix mine I'm looking at finding another cab that is rust free and just doing a swap. I really want to save my cab if I possibly can because I've spent quite a bit of time and money on it already. ...Joe
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Can you grind out the welds and start all over again using the same parts?

You can weld bracing between the front and rear door frame to keep everything level/stable before cutting it all out one you jack it into place.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
Can you grind out the welds and start all over again using the same parts?

You can weld bracing between the front and rear door frame to keep everything level/stable before cutting it all out one you jack it into place.
I don't know if I can just cut the weld out and get by with that or not. I have a buddy that works in a body shop that does collision work. I may just take it over and have him take a look at it. I know that I definately want to pull the aftermarket bedside and front fender off that I have on the truck now and put the GM ones that I bought on before I do this so that I know it will all be lined up right with the GM parts when I get done. It was definately a lesson in taking your time and making sure that everything fits before you final weld it all. Hope my mistake helps someone else to keep from making the same mistake that I did. ...Joe

Left side vs right side.
Attached Images