The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #1

Ca truck out of DMV computer

I have a newly acquired 68 that is out of DMVs computer. Might I need any advice before setting foot into that god forsaken building? I want to be prepared. I was told it will need to be inspected by a 'friend of a friend'. I tried calling my local office. Its a generic 1-800 number with pre-recorded 'selections'. I want to be prepared.

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 01-24-2011 at 12:44 AM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Ca truck out of DMV computer

How do you know if it is out of the computer? Have you verified this, or did the previous owner tell you this? Back fees can add up to more than the value of the truck sometimes. Unfortunately, you will have to visit that godforsaken building to find out. If it is out of the computer, it is not a whole lot of $$ to register it...you will probably need an inspection to verify the VIN either by the DMV there or the CHP. Good luck!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

Zepp, I ran the VIN through the online 'fee calculator', VIN was not found.
Thanks for the the info. I'm making the appointment this week.
Would you recommend throwing the 307 and the 4 speed back in for inspection?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
67chevy1series

if you want you can but i dont think you need to
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

I had a guy come to my house to inspect mine..cost a little more...but no headaches...he does all the paperwork.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #6

That sounds very tempting.......
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
406 Q-ship

If the truck is out of the system, you'll need a VIN verication (DMV, AAA, CHP, or a lic. VIN verifier), a weight certificate (get it weight at a state OKed weight station) and then you pay transfer fees along with yearly registration. Forget the DMV and pay for a AAA membership so you can get it done there, no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.

I had to do all of the above to bring my 67 in from Nevada, all done at AAA in one afternoon rather than the idiots at DMV.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Last edited by 406 Q-ship; 01-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
If the truck is out of the system, you'll need a VIN verication (DMV, AAA, CHP, or a lic. VIN verifier), a weight certificate (get it weight at a state OKed weight station) and then you pay transfer fees along with yearly registration. Forget the DMV and pay for a AAA membership so you can get it done there, no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.

I had to do all of the above to bring my 67 in from Nevada, all done at AAA in one afternoon rather than the idiots at DMV.
Exactly...My Vin verifying guy...even did the process for YOM plates on mine as well...no waiting in the torture chamber...
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

love my small town DMV no longer than a ten minute wait and they KNOW their stuff most of the time. WEAVERVILLE California.
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19stepSide72 View Post
love my small town DMV no longer than a ten minute wait and they KNOW their stuff most of the time. WEAVERVILLE California.
Problem is that DMV has state employees.......

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
no need to sit with the great unwashed masses at the State of Cali torture chamber.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

should not be a problem. You will need to get Vin verified by local police, and then you will be able to register it.

Out of the system is a good thing, just verifify Vin, and register and drive. Honestly, I would not go to DMV until the truck is done and running.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
MrDude_1

whoa. non-op registration? back-fees? once more, i am glad i dont live in cali. LOL.

how the hell do they justify you owing them money for possessing a vehicle that is not being operated on public roads?
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
68 IRON

Cal is broke......nuff said!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Tmend

Yup were broke here in Cali and yet all is more expensive here I just don't get it.. I see what some of the other members pay for stuff and it makes me jealous.. BUT I LOVE OUR WEATHER!!!!!....just pay to much for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Tmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #16

Truck is in fact out of dmv puter. That's good unews....
On a side note, unfortunately many states follow Californias lead. Stay active in your local government!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
whoa. non-op registration? back-fees? once more, i am glad i dont live in cali. LOL.

how the hell do they justify you owing them money for possessing a vehicle that is not being operated on public roads?
When you plan to not operate a vehicle on public roads, in lieu of registration, you pay a one time fee of $10 (non-operation) and the vehicle can sit for an indefinite time period, basically "suspended" in the system. If you just blow off renewing your registration for years, the DMV assumes you are delinquent and late fees/back fees start piling up. To re-register a vehicle that has been placed on "non-op" you simply pay the current registration fee and go, no hassles. A lot of people selling vehicles here are too lazy and/or stupid to pay the $10 to do this in the beginning so they try to pawn off their vehicles on someone who is unaware of this.

I am glad I live in Cali...it was 82 degrees here today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 IRON View Post
Cal is broke......nuff said!
The state might be broke, but a lot of it's residents aren't

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
When you plan to not operate a vehicle on public roads, in lieu of registration, you pay a one time fee of $10 (non-operation) and the vehicle can sit for an indefinite time period, basically "suspended" in the system. If you just blow off renewing your registration for years, the DMV assumes you are delinquent and late fees/back fees start piling up. To re-register a vehicle that has been placed on "non-op" you simply pay the current registration fee and go, no hassles. A lot of people selling vehicles here are too lazy and/or stupid to pay the $10 to do this in the beginning so they try to pawn off their vehicles on someone who is unaware of this.

I am glad I live in Cali...it was 82 degrees here today
gotcha.
Here, if you dont pay it, you dont get the new sticker for your plates.. If you are still driving with expired plates, then you get pulled, get a ticket.. etc... eventually you have to pay it if you want to be legal... there are late fees, but nothing huge.

I am glad I live on the coast of SC.... its about 70 degrees today, I rode my motorcycle into work, everything costs less, the air is cleaner, and I have the freedom to do more of whatever I want, no matter how crazy it sounds to west coast people. (dont forget, cali isnt the only place in the USA with nice weather most of the year)
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
gotcha.
Here, if you dont pay it, you dont get the new sticker for your plates.. If you are still driving with expired plates, then you get pulled, get a ticket.. etc... eventually you have to pay it if you want to be legal... there are late fees, but nothing huge.

I am glad I live on the coast of SC.... its about 70 degrees today, I rode my motorcycle into work, everything costs less, the air is cleaner, and I have the freedom to do more of whatever I want, no matter how crazy it sounds to west coast people. (dont forget, cali isnt the only place in the USA with nice weather most of the year)
I have no problem doing whatever I want here, ride my bike to work nearly every day, and the cost of living is proportional to my wages. The only thing you got on me is cleaner air

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Jeffs70

ok I am probably asking a stupid question but. I have a truck I am going to be putting out there for sale soon, It has not been licensed from the PO since 99. I wanted to see if their was a place online I could check out the info with the VIN# anyone know of anything like this
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #21
etg

You can check the vin on CA's dmv website. Be warned that sometimes no matter what you do it won't come up until you go to the dmv.
etg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #22
Jeffs70

Quote:
Originally Posted by etg View Post
You can check the vin on CA's dmv website. Be warned that sometimes no matter what you do it won't come up until you go to the dmv.
Thank you etg, I thought this maybe the case. I tried their website and it claims I dont have enough numbers. Its a shame they dont have some easier way to keep their lines down in that stinkhole place
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
etg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs70 View Post
Thank you etg, I thought this maybe the case. I tried their website and it claims I dont have enough numbers. Its a shame they dont have some easier way to keep their lines down in that stinkhole place
No prob bob.
etg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
'70_402

This is why i love Texas.. i have Antique tags, which means no inspection, no emmisions, no nothing for 5 years... i think it cost me like $60... i can live with $15 a year...
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
budnikguy

Any confirmation of waiver of fees for a specialty/restoration vehicle with back tags?!
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote