The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
ratchit

big block swap with a 4 spd

I am trying to figure out how to put headers on my 72 blazer with the original 4 spd in it. I cant find the right header's or figure out how to rearrange clutch linkage around to make it work. the z bar is in the way. any suggestions
ratchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
ntd

Re: big block swap with a 4 spd

I am kinda in the same predicament, first what did you do about clearance with the firewall ? body lift ? move engine forward ?
I have the tall valve covers on due to the roller rockers.
I am running hedman shorty headers and the clutch linkage is not gonna work with them so I went online and found a hydraulic clutch setup for my truck
but.... of course there is a but ....some fabrication is going to be needed, I need to make a bracket to bolt to the bellhousing to hold the slave cylinder and then need to fabricate the rod to attach to the clutch pedal and then to the master cylinder that will be on the firewall....fun stuff huh but it is either that or change everything to an auto-tranny and spend that much more money....
also are you using a long or short water pump ? and which side is your alternator mounted on ?
if you could could you email me at ncjthree@gmail.com
thanks
Nick
ntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
70cst

bump

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
ratchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
bump
what do you mean bump? what do you mean by that?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Burt4x4

Bump just means he is "bumping" your thread to the top of the list of threads..most likely he is looking for the same answers as you are.

I have a 454 in my K5. I installed it in the stock location and I converted my manual linkage to Hydro when I did the swap.
With my 350 I had manual linkage and ran Hedmen Elite series headers, I had to move the Z-bar just about 1" on the frame side of the Z-bar. On top of my frame was the Z-bar mount bracket. I drilled a hole in the bracket and re-mounted the Zbar end about 1" towards the firewall and that alowed the heades to fit and the Z-bar still worked..thoes ball mount ends pivot well.
Anyway don't know it this helps with a BBC..?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
ratchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
Bump just means he is "bumping" your thread to the top of the list of threads..most likely he is looking for the same answers as you are.

I have a 454 in my K5. I installed it in the stock location and I converted my manual linkage to Hydro when I did the swap.
With my 350 I had manual linkage and ran Hedmen Elite series headers, I had to move the Z-bar just about 1" on the frame side of the Z-bar. On top of my frame was the Z-bar mount bracket. I drilled a hole in the bracket and re-mounted the Zbar end about 1" towards the firewall and that alowed the heades to fit and the Z-bar still worked..thoes ball mount ends pivot well.
Anyway don't know it this helps with a BBC..?
Sorry for getting back sooner yes that will help i have my engine back out and was getting read to install a turbo 400 i willl look at your sugestion and possible do that cuz i would rather keep the origianal 4 spd in itthanks. oh who did you get the hydro clutch from and what mods did you have to do
Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
ratchit

Im abble to leave the engine right there. im using short valve covers. I did have to push the fire wall back a little to clear the dist cap. my alt is on the passenger side.