The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
84slopwaggin

Distributor/header ?

How does the stock hei in a 84 compare to aftermarket hei's like accel, proform, mallory, etc.

I'm wondering is it big improvement using coated headers compared to the cheaper $100 set?
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
squint

Coated headers last longer and they dont get as hot as non-coated ones.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am running an HEI from the "Carb Shop" out of California. It is a refurbished billet unit that they sell at a lower price than a unit from their shelf. It is the same design function as a GM HEI, but has their upgrades on the weights, electronics and bearings. I love it. I believe that any aftermarket unit is comparible to the GM stuff and the upgrades are worth the money.

I run ceramic coated headers in my trucks and I believe that they do run cooler than a bare tube set. There is definitely a longevity issue with them, they last far more longer than the ones that rust. I have a set in my truck that has been there since 1995 and they are solid and in good shape. I just had the motor out of the truck last winter and I checked them out then.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
84slopwaggin

yeah well I read where the coated headers also have a slightly different sound than uncoated headers as well. I have a set of cheap headers and it seems that I may have a problem with flange at the collector. For the moment I'll try a better gasket but if that don't work then i'll be going with dynomax cerama coat headers. I'm also going with a accel hei unit.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
coolram

Those $100 headers have thinner head flanges that tend to warp.I bought an FSJ Cherokee years ago that suffered from cheap headers.The only real solution was a better set of headers.And the coated,whether it be ceramic or any other type coating,reduces underhood temps and sound resonance as well as protecting the headers themselves.Rmember heat conducted away helps prevent detonation.
As for the HEI,you can upgrade your stock unit with a higher quality(brass contacts a must)cap & rotor,higher output coil and a better control module(these give more consistent dwell and coil saturation).Now going with a complete aftermarket unit will net you all this and a new/rebuilt hsg to boot.
'70 Monte Carlo SS454 454/TH400
coolram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
84slopwaggin

Whats the difference in having brass contacts and having aluminum contacts?

Last edited by 84slopwaggin; 10-10-2005 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I ended the sentence with a period instead of a question mark
Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The quality of the spark to the plugs, for one thing. A really good system would have a hot coil, a rotor and cap that has copper cpntacts, spark plug wires that have a low resistance and the right temperture of plug to ensure that the spark is strong. There has been testing done on systems and a person could gain as much as 13 horsepower with the right spark system. The more spark to the cylinder the better the chance it will fire when it is needed. I am running a MSD multispark unit on one of my trucks and it is good for getting all of the burn on the fuel that I put into the cylinder. At least I am getting everything that I can out of the high priced fuels of today.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote