The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
Ole Blue

Question Engine choice ? and advice

Making plans and collecting parts for buildup of 72 Cheyenne lwb,could possibly go the swb route. Will be a 4/6 drop, springs in front with bags in rear, 17" wheels,OD trans and so on. This will be a driver and still use the bed for some material hauling, and some towing. It presently has a fresh 30 over 350 (less than 10,000mi.) Thinking of going BB or LT or LS. Looking for informed advice as far as engine selection. BB would be very cool, but since this will be driven on regular basis I wonder if poor gas mileage would dampen my spirits. The driveability of a more modern engine/trans package is appealing, but what about towing (nothing major). I am collecting parts at this stage, so I am flexiable as to the direction that I take. Thanks in advance for all your words of wisdom and knowledge.
Ole Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
casey

I'm no wiseman just a wise crack, but I'd stick with the fresh 350 you got, as reasonable a gas mileage as your going to get, and enough power to pull, and makes a great daily driver, not to mention you'll save a **** load of money, unless thats not a issue, but it sounds like it might be if you think the bb's gas mileage will dampen your spirts, jm2c
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
miket

In my opinion the newer comp controlled motors ( LT1/LS1) should give you more mileage and better driveability...they also should provide you with plenty of towing power provided you aren't talking extremes here. The other variable in your mileage will be the rear gear's and what transmission you use(overdrive is the way to go on a daily driver).

I personally would love to have a shortbed with an LT1/LS1 and a newer overdrive tranny.

If you're motor is new/fresh already, why don't you look at an gear vendors over drive for mileage? Maybe warm it up abit with a cam and intake?

just some thoughts.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
miket

Ole Blue:

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the LS1 thread on this forum by 68injectedLS1.....he just did this and may have some additional information that might be helpful.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
Dean23
68cst_ss490

i have an engine for sale on ebay its a 350 with work done to it....heres the #

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ory=40931&rd=1
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote