The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Thermostat? Yes or No?

I just put a new thermostat in my 1973 c20 454 pick up and come to find out there wasn't one in it in the first place! When I test drove it the temp went way up way fast, it was reading around 210 degrees according to the factory gauge. It rarely got over 170 degrees before I put a new one in it according to the factory gauge. I've heard running a BBC over 200 degrees over time can be bad so I'm thinking about ditching the new thermostat and going commando again! Good idea or bad idea?
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Thermostat? Yes or No?

I dont like going without one. The heat isnt adequatly removed from the rear of the block which could cause the rear cylinders to overheat.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
I dont like going without one. The heat isnt adequatly removed from the rear of the block which could cause the rear cylinders to overheat.
I'm curious how this comes about.

If you put a 190 thermostat in then that would explain why the temp is so high. Use a high flow 165* balanced thermostat
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

I use a 160 stat in my 79 454 pickup. I like to keep it as cool as possible for towing purposes (and lots of hills around here )

I also drill a pair of 3/16" holes in my thermostats (in all the cars).
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
thesickc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I use a 160 stat in my 79 454 pickup. I like to keep it as cool as possible for towing purposes (and lots of hills around here )

x2

1979 camaro 358 super t10

2003 f250 superchip slp exhaust
thesickc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

interesting had not heard of "holes" to fix air locks
have run with no stat tho,leaky rad to get home
winter up here doubt the choke would ever turn off with no stat
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
bilfman

A stat is a must, a vehicle will be more prone to overheating without one. Coolant requires time in the rad to really drop in temperature. The start/stop of the tstat lets the rad do a much better job of dropping the temp of the coolant. The free flow with no tstat does not slow the flow enough for the rad to work as intended.

The no stat may work, but under circumstances where you are really creating heat, such as, hot day, slow traffic, grinding a trail, pulling a load etc running without a t stat is not a good idea.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
I'm curious how this comes about.
The thermostat is a temp regulator and a restrictor. Without the thermostat there to slow down the flow, the heat at the back of the motor isn't absorbed and can cause overheating of those cylinders. Premature ring failure is an example of what can happen from this overheating. You'd notice oil foulded plugs and low compression towards the end. There is a temp difference between the back and the front of the motor anyway but running coolant unregulated or restricted only makes the situation worse.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
The thermostat is a temp regulator and a restrictor. Without the thermostat there to slow down the flow, the heat at the back of the motor isn't absorbed and can cause overheating of those cylinders. Premature ring failure is an example of what can happen from this overheating. You'd notice oil foulded plugs and low compression towards the end. There is a temp difference between the back and the front of the motor anyway but running coolant unregulated or restricted only makes the situation worse.
Yes and you can always run a cooler Stat but if it still runs hot then the Fan or Rad(or Both) are not doing there job. Also check with a good temporary temp gage to make sure you actually have a heat proble and not a gage problem.
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
bakerboys

I put a 180 in my k20 and have an electric fan never gets above 180
bakerboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
notyo_cheez

Question Re: Thermostat? Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
I just put a new thermostat in my 1973 c20 454 pick up and come to find out there wasn't one in it in the first place! When I test drove it the temp went way up way fast, it was reading around 210 degrees according to the factory gauge. It rarely got over 170 degrees before I put a new one in it according to the factory gauge. I've heard running a BBC over 200 degrees over time can be bad so I'm thinking about ditching the new thermostat and going commando again! Good idea or bad idea?
There's no such thing as unimportant parts. Before replacing the t-stat with one with the correct temperature rating perform a leakdown test to insure you don't have a leak somewhere. There had to be a reason why the previous owner never replaced it...
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I would pull the cap on the radiator and make sure that the radiator is nice and clean in there.. make sure there is no crap blocking the fins and they are free of dirt and anything else that could cause the radiator to block up.. I fully agree with the statements above about not running a thermostat as well as the wrong temperature one. IIRC the book calls for a 165 thermostat in these trucks.. id replace the one you have with that and see how it goes after doing my first suggestion.. also if you have a port to install one, you may want to install an aftermarket coolant temp guage sometimes the electrical ones have a bad sensor or read bad

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
csb#356

It probably came up to temperature fast because it now has a thermostat and it is doing its job. Its supposed to stay closed and warm the engine up and then open, Running the engine too cold can cause problems with efficiency and fuel to not burn correctly. 210 doesn't sound terrible if it doesn't go above that, but if it makes you feel better put in 180 degree thermostat. I've been told that without a thermostat restricting flow you won't actually dissipate heat into the coolant like its supposed to because it will move too fast, and it will also not dissipate heat into the atmosphere becuase it moves too fast through the radiator. But the guage will read cooler because its measuring the temperature of the water itself, not the engine parts. I don't know for sure though because i've never ran without a thermostat, just passing on the info.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
hopped up

where do you guys drill the 3/16 holes?
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Firebirdjones

I drill 2 holes on the flat surface of the stat. This keeps the air pockets from forming, and also helps coolant flow (slightly) when cold and helps to warm the thermostat so you don't get those (dangerous) temp spikes before the stat cracks open. I've had more consistent and stable temps with this little trick. Actually all of your more expensive high performance or high flow style thermostats already incorporate this trick.

The intake runs about 10 degrees cooler than the cylinder heads, something to keep in mind.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
donut

On the thermostat delete, bad idea. IMO, especially on a daily driver.
Had an old Ford van, used to run hot/overheat after about 50 miles of driving. Older gent told me to pull the thermostat out, 10 miles overheated.

Rad was to small (302 rad, 351 engine) and in the Phoenix metro area, so it was hot anyway.

csb#356 hit it on the head, fluid moves so quick, it won't shed the heat it's carrying.
BTW, lot's of good info here.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
savatreatabvr

I agree, lots of excellent info, thanks! You all have changed my mind, it gets awful hot here in Phx so I'll put a 165 degree stat in it and hope for the best! I had a 350 Z28 that overheated so bad it wouldn't rev over 3000rpm, shut it down, cooled it off, put water in it and it ran like a charm! Can't say enough about that good old Chevrolet engineering!
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Rich84

If you want more stable temperature drill the holes in the stat. It gets rid of the temperature spike. And it does make it easier to fill with coolant after repairs because it lets the air out.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
1bad87

would any of u have pics of this drilled Thermostat nice info
1bad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Maxzillian

Part of your problem could be air in the system, but I've noticed that after converting my truck to fuel injection that the temp sender hooked to the PCM would read 195-200 F while the stock temperature gauge in my '85 would read 210.

Verify the gauge is right before you get too bogged down.
Maxzillian is offline   Reply With Quote