The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Column rebuild question.

I just took 2 non tilt columns out of a 71 and basically swapped the good parts into one good column. Everything was pretty straight forward but i have ran into a slight issue. Adjustments.
On this part of the column on the bottom, how should i have mine adjusted? Im not talking about the shifting rod, im talking aobut the nuts on the right. See how you can move that up or down in that groove... Where should mine be?

How do you go about adjusting that? The reason i think its OUT of adjustment is because the column shifter seems to be loose. You pull it inwards to shift and when you let it go the whole assembly seems to have play in it.. Way to much.. This part here #41. That whole assembly moves towards the dash when you let it go. It jsut seems to have WAY to much play, is this normal? Anyway to adjust this out? Hope this makes sense..

Last edited by lyrikz; 03-23-2009 at 10:37 PM.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Re: Column rebuild question.

That is the adjustment for tension on shaft bearings.Install your steering wheel. When you turn the sleeve where the bolts go through one way will put more tension the other less. You want just enough to keep bearings snug without over doing it.The problem you are having has nothing to do with that adjustment. Check that items2,3,13,14 and 15 are all there and in the right places.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY

Last edited by KevsClassics; 03-23-2009 at 11:24 PM.
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevsClassics View Post
That is the adjustment for tension on shaft bearings.Install your steering wheel. When you turn the sleeve where the bolts go through one way will put more tension the other less. You want just enough to keep bearings snug without over doing it.The problem you are having has nothing to do with that adjustment. Check that items2,3,13,14 and 15 are all there and in the right places.
Ya, everything is there... #13 is a shift tube FELT washer. Is that the fuzzy band thing inside the housing? Everything is in there. I have no left over parts.

I dont have any references on if this play in that column is excessive because i was using a floor shifter.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Just to be clear
#2 is the white plastic with the little lip, and
#3 is the metal washer that goes on top of that.
#13 felt washer, i dont know what that is?
#14 shift tube is obv in there.
#15 i dont know what that is. But when i did my column, that whole bottom section i removed as one piece. I didnt take that apart. 16,15, and 14 where all togther on the shift tube...

WHere else should i try?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

In your last reply you stated the metal washer goes on top of the plastic piece.If this is how you have it assembled these 2 are backwards.The metal washer slides in first and the plastic piece with the lip goes in next on top of the metal washer.Name:  000_0001-2.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  91.9 KBthese parts are layed out from left to right in order of reassembly.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Here's a good picture of the order.
s/t

This shows how much it was adjusted before I started.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 03-24-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67/72junkie View Post
In your last reply you stated the metal washer goes on top of the plastic piece.If this is how you have it assembled these 2 are backwards.The metal washer slides in first and the plastic piece with the lip goes in next on top of the metal washer.Attachment 444729these parts are layed out from left to right in order of reassembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Here's a good picture of the order.
s/t

This shows how much it was adjusted before I started.

So it goes washer, THEN the white piece with the notch on top???? FACK>... here is what it looks like.. I took a video.. Let me know you guys.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I can’t see your vid at work....
But I want to say the notch is on top, I think it goes into something. I have pictures that I probably can confirm this, but won’t be until after work.
One thing to make it easier is that anything that moves has no metal to metal contact.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
dznucks

can you get all the parts to rebuild a column at any autoparts store? i need to do the same things to mine. keep us posted to what you figure out.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
can you get all the parts to rebuild a column at any autoparts store? i need to do the same things to mine. keep us posted to what you figure out.
What i figure is that when i had it together the first time it was right. Then i took it back apart to add the mount and the gaskets i forgot to put back on and when i put it back together it wasnt correct... SOOO, im going to pull it back out tonight, take it back apart and put it back together again...

I know that column shouldnt move, just the shifter lever... Im just pissed that im going to scratch it taking it apart i know it.. It was all nice and clean..
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
dznucks

What type of column is this? you said non tilt. but it doesn't look like a 3-speed column shift mechanism on in that first pic.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
What type of column is this? you said non tilt. but it doesn't look like a 3-speed column shift mechanism on in that first pic.
None of those pics are mine, they are other pics just showing what was going on.. Its a non tilt auto column.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
dznucks

ok. Does anyone know where i can get the schematic for a three speed manual column.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Lyrikz, I was able to see your vid now that I'm home and see your problem. During the assembly near the top was a plastic washer and a rubber piece (pictured in my top pic.) I willing to bet yours is buttco, I know mine was. Call Wes at Classic Heartbeat and tell him what you need I needed one and bought a used one from a board member and them found Wes was able to get them new from the dealer for like $2.
s/t
Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Lyrikz, I was able to see your vid now that I'm home and see your problem. During the assembly near the top was a plastic washer and a rubber piece (pictured in my top pic.) I willing to bet yours is buttco, I know mine was. Call Wes at Classic Heartbeat and tell him what you need I needed one and bought a used one from a board member and them found Wes was able to get them new from the dealer for like $2.
s/t
well, that piece is one i took off the GOOD column, it was in really good shape. My other one was **** though.... I think i have a washer not in the right spot. or that rubber piece your talking about isnt in the right spot... I will pull it out and let you guys no later tonight...
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Take a good picture of the rubber piece, it really gets squashed down.
s/t
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Take a good picture of the rubber piece, it really gets squashed down.
s/t
ok, GOT IT. WHat it was, the rubber piece your talking about was in upside down. I dont no how, it just was. Now id say its about as good as they get. Nice and tight, and the park is where park should be. ahaha

Thanks guys.. ANd it took maybe 40 minutes to remove it, strip it,reassemble and reinstall.