The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
JustOneTruck

Question 6.2L Diesel Oil Presure with ?? Oil

Hey Here Is the deal for those that love the 6.2L Diesel 1984 gmc 30,000 miles.
When I got the truck in late January {Mich cold} and the shop that got the truck ready for me was a actual Semi truck garage . They changed the oil the fuel filter and flush and fill and grease job .

So here is my question I used valvoline 10w-30 {7qts} oil ac-Delco filter and changed it . Pretty simple .

Like most of us I think you pay a little more attention to the oil light or gauge after changing the oil . In my case a gauge . I've never seen it at this point when my truck idles when warm that the oil pressure is now about 30 psi till I just touch the pedal . But I`ve not seen the gauge be under 80 psi until now like I said that I`m now looking at the gauge after I changed the oil . Or Did I use the wrong type weight of oil

Engine temp 195 to 200 air temp now is almost 60 warmest since I've had the truck.
Thanks all .
JustOneTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
86dieselburb

Valvoline makes diesel oil? Im kinda new to these diesels. I've not seen Valvoline diesel oil before.

My 6.2 has 300k on it and at idle oil pressure is about 30psi and running its about 50psi. I'm using 10-40 Delo.
86dieselburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

First of all, the GM oil pressure guages are incredibly inaccurate. As long as you have pressure showing, don't be too concerned with the actual numbers.

Secondly, I don't believe that the Valvoline oil you're using is rated for diesel use. As a new diesel owner, you might not be aware that you need to use engine oil specifically rated for diesel engines. That Valvoline oil probably has a rating of SL or something like that in the little API circle. Diesel oils will be rated with a CH-4 or CI-4. "S" stands for spark-ignited engines and "C" stands for compression-ignited engines. Most diesel oils are also rated for gasoline engines.

I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 oil, which you can buy at Wal-Mart. Rotella T is a staple in the diesel engine market. You can use whatever oil you want, but make sure it is CH-4 or CI-4 rated.

15W-40 oil wasn't around when the 6.2L was introduced, that's why the owner's manual and dipstick says to use 10W-30, but you'll want to use the 15W-40. It's much better for the engine.

Casey