The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
vindog420

So what do ya'll know 'bout Webers???

Ok so check it out. I got a '72 longbed stepside with a 250 in it. Although I drove it home the float keeps stickin' on the carb and the throttle bushings are bad. DANGER DANGER Anyways I got this 32/36 progressive weber that I know is a good carb. The question is has anyone put one on their 250??? I found an apator but I heard it won't fit on the monojet manifold. I kinda broke (ain't everyone) so I'm tryin' to do this cheap. Any other suggestions would of course be appreicated.
Thanx, ViNDoG420
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: So what do ya'll know 'bout Webers???

WEBERS RULE!!! go for it if you cant get it to mount up, webers are nice carbs and often forgot about and you dont see them around all that much

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
e rock

I'm admittedly not well-versed in Chevy 250s, but the progressive 32/36 seems really small. I've got one on my old 1964 Land Cruiser 3.9L and it runs well, but seems to be starved for air at higher revs (over 3000 or so). The 38/38 seems like it would be a better fit, but you don't have one of those laying around... Is the 32/36 in nice shape? Maybe throw it up on Craigslist? I know they're popular swaps onto a lot of different motors - Toyota Land Cruisers, Jeeps, VWs (I think?), BMWs, etc.
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by e rock View Post
I'm admittedly not well-versed in Chevy 250s, but the progressive 32/36 seems really small. I've got one on my old 1964 Land Cruiser 3.9L and it runs well, but seems to be starved for air at higher revs (over 3000 or so). The 38/38 seems like it would be a better fit, but you don't have one of those laying around... Is the 32/36 in nice shape? Maybe throw it up on Craigslist? I know they're popular swaps onto a lot of different motors - Toyota Land Cruisers, Jeeps, VWs (I think?), BMWs, etc.
i wouldnt put anything but a weber on a vw

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Ran webers on my 260Z and my Nissan rally cars when I lived in Japan. Carbs are great. Just remember anything with Multiple carbs, if that is what your thinking, is a bit more time consuming on the tuning. They do look and run very well.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
vindog420

I've been doin' some research and Redline Performance offers a 32/36 kit for 258 Jeeps. The 1 barrel to Weber adaptor is only around $25 with gaskets and bolts. So I know that it will work on a Carter flange but, what about a Rochester??? Anyone out there got a Carter one barrel they can measure for me the bolt pattern width for me??? The adaptor has oval holes so I'm assuming it's something like a 1/4" either way? Maybe??? I think I'll call them guys in the morn and see what they can tell about the flange on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Here's my opinion based on what I know. I had a 32/36 on a 250 using the Stovebolt Engine Co adaptor. It worked ok, but you're not going to see performance of ANY kind out of it. I had to jury-rig a linkage which wasn't a huge deal but it took some scrounging and head-scratching (sorry, no pics). While I was going to school, I'd occasionally come home which was a fairly flat drive on the interstate. I found that with a tonneau cover, a stock 3 speed manual, stock wheels and tires, HEI, a well tuned engine and a reeeeeeally light foot I could get barely 18mpg at around 60 mph. Seems like there were some other things I did, but it's been awhile and I didn't keep notes.
Honestly, I don't really recommend it. You'll end up putting just as much money into it (especially with a 38/38 from Redline) as you would a Clifford intake/4 bbl combo and you'll get just as good mpg but more hp. Unless you get lucky, you'll be tinkering the Weber trying to get it to run correctly and nickel and diming it. I would either stick with a MJ or go 4 bbl with Clifford or Offy. Get a really well built MJ (not a parts store atrocity). I currently have a MJ on my Camaro and they're great carbs when tuned and no throttle leaks.

Read my description below to see what I currently have. I'm currently having issues with my T-5 and it'll have to be rebuilt when I get back, but I expect to be able to get around 21-22 mpg when all is said and done.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 05-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
jimmydean

Webber is who makes both Carter and Edelbrock carbs.

I agree with Brad in that you would likely have better luck with a setup like he has. My experience with "progressive" carbs are they are more trouble than they are progressive.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Spanky_Pete
Too many trucks? Nah...

I run a 32/36DGAV on my lifted Subaru with a 1.8liter in it. I'd say that's going to be a tad bit small on a 250.

I'm running a Holley 390cfm on my old inline, it's pretty much perfect for them.
Spanky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
72 cheyenne pdx

Check out http://www.wpsracing.com/cpprcaad.html. This may help you with your quest.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Like the others have mentioned, they are good carbs, but sticking it on an adapter for the stock intake is not going to accomplish anything really for you, especially for the money invested. In vest in an intake to go with it and you may see some changes, or like Brad mentioned go with a small 4 bbl on and after market intake.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote