The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
fdbdw

control arm bushings

71 c10 rear coil, Going to replace the contol arm bushings, is it as easy as un-bolting the cotrol arm, letting it drop and replace the bushing and bolt it back in or am I in for something I dont know about and I need to block out a whole day, any advice on the best way to do it and do I need to jack it up or do it on its wheels, thank you, pics comming when I can figure out this whole computor and digital camera thing
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: control arm bushings

I had one truck where they came right out & another where I struggled w/them all freakin day. I do the bushings on a bench-top because I spot weld the 'halves' of the arms together which is easier in the open vs. laying under the truck.

If there's a bunch of rust on other suspension components, expect delays.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-30-2009 at 02:25 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Custom 68

some people have actually burned the bushings out with a torch. You will need to get all the residue out if you do this. They can be a real pain but like Scoti said they are not always a problem.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
some people have actually burned the bushings out with a torch. You will need to get all the residue out if you do this. They can be a real pain but like Scoti said they are not always a problem.
Dave
I do not recommend the torch method. I tried that on my first attempt & all it did was make a huge mess. Black soot was everywhere.... the floor, walls, hands, clothing..... you name it. In the end, I still had to press them out on the bench (these were the ones that required messing w/all day).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I do not recommend the torch method. I tried that on my first attempt & all it did was make a huge mess. Black soot was everywhere.... the floor, walls, hands, clothing..... you name it. In the end, I still had to press them out on the bench (these were the ones that required messing w/all day).
Scotty, you need to do that nasty chit outside! Here in Illinios, burn em is the only thing that works on a 40 yr old truck If you plan to run urathane bushings, its my understanding that you need to leave the outer sleeve in place, as the new bushing presses into that stock sleeve on the trailing arms. On a colorado/texas/cali truck, ect, a wire brush, & a little PB blaster will probably get you un bolted......lay the arms outside, & cherry the inner sleeve with the torch.....just let that bushing pollute the air for a tad! Either, it will fall out(the sleeve), or you can push it out. Once the inner sleeve is out, you can continue to "smoke the bushing", or pry it out. Once again, if you replace with urathane, its my understanding , that they use the stock outer shells(DO NOT CUT). If you have the factory replacement bushing in your hand, cut the old outer shell with your fire stick (all the way across ,2 places, 180 across......then tap the pcs out. I would (as allready suggested) run a weld down the front side of the 2pcs on the arm, & as long as its off the truck, I would also run a bead of weld down the back side(cheep ins) If you guys in the south west saw what us mid west boys had to play with, you would flat azz puke! Like the old boys from ZZ TOP said......"that west coast truck is sweet as molasses"......best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Scotty, you need to do that nasty chit outside! Here in Illinios, burn em is the only thing that works on a 40 yr old truck If you plan to run urathane bushings, its my understanding that you need to leave the outer sleeve in place, as the new bushing presses into that stock sleeve on the trailing arms. On a colorado/texas/cali truck, ect, a wire brush, & a little PB blaster will probably get you un bolted......lay the arms outside, & cherry the inner sleeve with the torch.....just let that bushing pollute the air for a tad! Either, it will fall out(the sleeve), or you can push it out. Once the inner sleeve is out, you can continue to "smoke the bushing", or pry it out. Once again, if you replace with urathane, its my understanding , that they use the stock outer shells(DO NOT CUT). If you have the factory replacement bushing in your hand, cut the old outer shell with your fire stick (all the way across ,2 places, 180 across......then tap the pcs out. I would (as allready suggested) run a weld down the front side of the 2pcs on the arm, & as long as its off the truck, I would also run a bead of weld down the back side(cheep ins) If you guys in the south west saw what us mid west boys had to play with, you would flat azz puke! Like the old boys from ZZ TOP said......"that west coast truck is sweet as molasses"......best of luck,crazyL
I did do it outside but it was still messy as heck. I did it because I was replacing the rubber w/Energy Suspension poly bushings so you're correct; the shell remains in place.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I did do it outside but it was still messy as heck. I did it because I was replacing the rubber w/Energy Suspension poly bushings so you're correct; the shell remains in place.
Yup ,its a nasty job any way you do it! I have ate more of the smoke off those old bushings than a halve dozen guys should see in a lifetime(Illinios salt) Anything that "whizzes" this old man off , gets to play with the "fire stick" My old longhorn was a west coast truck.......that was real sweet to play with, brush the dirt off the bolts & unscrew them crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
robin58

I've never succeeded in pressing them out even with a 5 ton press. I've always gone for the burn 'em method.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote