The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
JOJABOY

Help with fender alignment

Long time listener, First time caller.....

I just bought a 69 Chev and the front clip is askew. As if the fenders and grill is shifted towards the driver side 1/2". I don't think it's the core support because the grill is shifted on the headlamps.

Can I just loosen the fender bolts and shift all back in alignment with the hood and core support/header panel. Then tighten back up???
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: Help with fender alignment

First, Welcome to our online community. You're among friends here.

You will probably need to loosen the fender bolts back by the doors and you may or may not need a porta-power or a jack to move things around as well. But it's a fairly straight-forward process.

Good luck.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
69gmcc10

scroll through this page and take a look here for some alignment info.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=6

and welcome!

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
hugger6933

Find you a location on the left front sat a forward fender bolt then go to right rear and find a common spot say another bolt head. Take a measurement. Now change side and do it again. That is called taking a 'X". That measurment should be very very close to the same number. If the number is off you will need to shift the front to the long side HALF the distance. Also if you are moving the front cap [sliding it over for better aliginment you might want to start at step one and make sure that the cab it sitting square on the frame. That can be done much the same way as finding the out of adjustment ofthe front cap, but here first you will be tipped off by the fender to door gap being offand/or the gap on the bed to cab corner either wide or real tight. To check it measure from the cab in the same spot on both sides over to the frame at the front and then at the rear, those numbers again should be close if the cab is sitting square. If thses numbers are all out of whack to get them back you may have to get some cab mounts and a core support mount setto put on then set all the gaps after the new rubber has been put on. A couple of hours making the adjustments to tighten the gaps to get them right can really make a huge difference in the truck. Ihope this little info helps, Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
JOJABOY

Thanks for the advice. I am going to take a look at it when I get home tomorrow. I will start with the measuring. (measure twice cut once...I'm thinking) Fenders seem lined up well with doors and cab....just not at the nose. Hopefully, they are straight and hood, grill, bumper is skewed.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote