The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
Bob Kelly

1970 GMC Radio

Well I pulled my AM radio out (dead). What a job! Want to put in a AM/FM cassette and new speaker using the existing space. Is there a aftermarket radio and speaker that will fit and not look to different from the original. I only want to run with a center monaural speaker. I will keep the AM and have it repaired. As a side note bought the truck two weeks ago at night (no mufflers--running on 6 cylinders) and commenced to drive it 300 miles. Got home at 3:30 AM. Next day I pulled the valve covers and found 6 bent and 2 broken push rods! (all intake) (396 CI) Replaced all 16 at $1.70 each and she runs like a champ. Ain't life grand! Well hope someone can help with a recomendation for a basic radio/cassette/speaker setup.
Thanks,
Having fun with my Chevy
Bob--Lompoc, CA
Bob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Mike C

There are several ways to do the stereo. The Custom Autosound radios are built to fit, but you can use any dual shaft radio. Kenwood makes a nice one with CD changer controls. As far as speakers, several different groups offer a pair of 4" drivers that bolt to the stock speaker mounts.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Bob, welcome to the board from sunny central Ohio.
Af far as I know, there aren't any repro radios that would look stock, but there are some nice units that look somewhat right...but they won't fool anyone if that's what you're lookin for.

300 miles in a big block running on 6 cylinders with no exhaust....yup...you're one of us.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
69 Short Fleet

Welcome Bob, Jensen makes a twin shaft Cr225X (60 watts) that looks nice in appearance but I've read poor reviews on sound quality (under $100 however). I had a Pioneer KEX 50 deck (vintage Pioneer) twin shaft that was KILLER with a GM 120 amp. Make sure your speaker has the correct ohms for your original radio (I believe their 10 ohms) or you can run into problems, regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Bob Kelly

Hello All,
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Bob Kelly

Well that didn't work! tried to take off the caps. key and hit TAB which posted my message! Will try not to do that again. Again THANKS for all the good suggestions on replacing the radio. The reason it was so hard to remove is the dash had never been apart and the heater hoses were still glued. It also has air conditioning. The truck was owned by an older gent. He had covered the front seat, glove box, and truck bed (campershell & indoor/outdoor carpet) when he bought it and they are in new condition. The truck was made in Fremont, CA and spent it's life one town away in Union City. Would post a pic. but that's beyond my skills. I put glass packs on it and cruise our town (40K people) in style. Now that I've bored you to tears I'll end this rambling yada-yada-yada.
Best,
Bob Kelly
1970 GMC 396 ci 400 Auto Fleetside Extended bed
Old 04-21-2004, 12:02 AM   #7
Longhorn Man

why would we be bored? most of us ramble from time to time about our rigs.
Welcome to our crazy home.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #8
highboy_04

what do you mean by fleet side extended bed? are you talking about a longhorn.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
Longhorn Man

highboy...I didn't even notice that.
Bob, if you are talking about a factory seam in the front end of the bed, and you have a 133 inch wheelbase...you may want to look at my Longhorn Website. (link in signiture)
Old 04-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #10
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Post some pics and ramble to your hearts content.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:11 AM   #11
Bob Kelly

Bed Lenght on 1970 GMC

Yes it does have a vertical crease about 8 inches from the front of the side panel and the bed is 8 ft. 8 inches long. Has a 1970 camper shell (also 8 ft. 8 inch) that I listed on E-bay just for the heck of it. If it doesn't sell (closes Sunday) it's going to find a new home at the land fill Or I will hold it for one week if someone wants it for free (space is at a premium and then there's the WIFE). My last wife always called me Sweet Old Bob---at least that's the initials she used. I have the build sheet in front of me and other than a lot little boxes with alpha and numbers in them I don't see a wheel base. As to the body style it is not a step side--it's the other one. Took off today and the brakes went to the floor--will get a master cylinder kit and get on that project! It has a vintage trailer brake assy. that runs off the master cyl. That should be exciting when I hook my camper to it! Well gottagofornow,
Bob Kelly--Lompoc, CA
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
Longhorn Man

Bob...did we exchainge e-mails a month or so ago? (longhornmail@ yahoo.com) I recieved an e-mail from some one e-baying an 8 1/2 foot camper shell.
You have a Longhorn...actually a Custom Camper...GMC's version of the Chevy longhorn.
Cool truck, and not many of them around...esp the GMC ones.
As for your master cylinder...they are cheap enough that you may as well get a replacement instead of messin with rebuilding yours...really not worth the mess IMO...I would also plug off that trailer line. I'm willing to bet that isn't even legal anymore.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:28 AM   #13
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Sounds like a neat truck. Welcome from Kansas. If you have pictures of your truck email them to me and I'll resize them and post them here.
Vombie@msn.com

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 AM   #14
Cruiser71
AKA Phillip Johnson, AKA BANNED

Try Wes at heartbeat. He stocks alot of good radios that you will NOT need to cut the dash.
Cruiser71 is offline   Reply With Quote