The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
69GMCCamper

Question Who's got a canopy

I'm interested in putting a canopy on the bed of my 69 gmc 3/4 ton. I was wondering if you need a special type or will any full size gm canopy work. Also if anyone has any pictures or tips on where to find one or what it's looking at costing me, let me know. Thanks in advance.
69GMCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Southpa

I've had one for quite a while now. Good for keeping the rain off the wood deck but not as secure as one might think. I bought mine used, an older model, for about $175. Its all aluminum and I only take it off when the weather is nice or when I have to carry an oversized load. The standard size is 6' X 8' and will fit any truck with the same box dimensions. I can't tell you how much they cost new, I guess the sky is the limit. If you put stuff in that is valuable, just remember that if someone wants it bad enough they WILL get it no matter what you do. I had some items stolen from me over last christmas. All you have to do is grab the tailgate and give it a good hard pull. The gate will pop out from under the canopy door, at least thats how it can happen with the flimsy aluminum canopies like mine. Since then I installed eye-bolts in the back corners ie. one one each side of the tailgate and one one each post, when closed I insert wood stakes through the eyebolts. They might be broken but at least the thief will have to work a little harder. Buts its easy enough to break the glass.

When you do go shopping for one give the door a rattle and see how secure and sturdy it feels. Also see if you can find one that has 2 locks on either side rather than the single lock in the middle.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 05-01-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Southpa

back left

Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
69GMCCamper

Thanks Southpa. How hard is it to take off if you don't mind me asking?

Anybody else
69GMCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
shortymac83
hmm...

going from the experiences I've had with my military officer and his 89 chevy, he used more or less teh same thing that Southpa has (at least, it was aluminum and was a spitting image of that). 2 people could lift it off, but you had to work quick because it got heavy pretty fast.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #6
Southpa

LOL, believe it or not I've taken it off and put it on all by myself. Its sort of like carrying a canoe from the inside. Very light but a bit awkward, you have to keep your balance. I used to bolt it on right through the tops of the bedsides but use bolt on clamps now. No need to wreck the body like that.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
veltex

canopy

Mine is a newer Leer, these sell new around here for 1000 to 1200, lady I bought it from used said it came from a late 90s Ford? Its measurements are square, cant remember them, it is a little wide but fits good enough to keep my materials dry and semi secure. I paid 450, called on ad went buy with a friend and put it on to check fit, look for used ones and go try them, this one is pretty heavy but do-able for two guys.