The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

My exhaust quest again

I was talking with the owner of a local autoparts store I buy stuff from. Anyway, we were talking and the man who I usually get to do my inspections came in. After he left, I brought up the fact I hated the emissions inspections because I couldn't run two cats on my truck. Roger, the parts store owner told me to go somewhere else besides where I've been going. Maurice, who usually does my inspections is by the book, 100 percent. I seen him turn a man down once because he had a pea sized hole in his tailpipe once.

So, I think I'm going to start hunting for a new station to get the 85 inspected. I might luck up and find one who will overlook me having two cats instead of one like it's supposed to be stock. If I'm real, real, lucky, I may even find one who will even overlook not having cats at all. I think I'll ask Roger where he would recommend. He knows all these guys and should have a pretty good idea.

So this is my quest. To see if I can get lucky with my exhaust. Man, what I would give if this would end up going my way. I'd rather not have any cats at all, but would gladly add another one so I could have a true dual system instead of a y-pipe.

We'll see how this goes. I'm not counting my chickens just yet though.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Smokin86

My exhaust was rusting out when I bought the truck. When I had my muffler shop install the flows and true duals, they overlooked the cats for me. Hasn't been in issue both times that I have had it inspected. Good ol' texas.

joseph

My smog pump and all its associated crap was gone for the second inspection that you should have failed.

1986 Silverado with some things upgraded.

Currently living in Arlington, TX going to school.
Smokin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
PHOENIX

In Arizona you have to go to a state run inspection station. They even have signs telling you its illegal to bribe an inspection agent. Awhile ago a bunch of the Phoenix area inspection agents got busted for taking bribes and I think they lost their jobs. Im not saying your trying to bribe them, I understand your just looking for a laid back inspection person. Some stations here are more laid back then others, I believe if you go at the end of the day you are more likely to not fail the visual inspection as they just want to go home. I go right before they close. If I pass the sniffer, they check the gas cap and take a quick look under the hood. Depends on the guy you get too. Sometimes I try to BS them for a minute or two that way they dont have extra time to visual inspect things. They try to keep the lines moving. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Good luck either way.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

the ones here are private owned gas stations and such. They are not run by the state, only licensed by the state. They have to buy their equipment and everything. The biggest thing these guys have fear of are the spies they state sends around trying to catch them. So, if they don't know you really well, they won't overlook any visual test.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
DCRANER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Eddie,

the ones here are private owned gas stations and such. They are not run by the state, only licensed by the state. They have to buy their equipment and everything. The biggest thing these guys have fear of are the spies they state sends around trying to catch them. So, if they don't know you really well, they won't overlook any visual test.
I just finished my local service station inspection and all was fine. I have dual cats, Random Technology Stainless Steel, the metallic, not the pellet type, and I mounted then about 2 inches off of the header collector pipes. This way they get real hot and are effecient, running an MSD and leaned the Holley down for the inspection. Random Technology tells me the Stainless Metallic ones have almost zero effect on HP / Torque.
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
bigd65

Quote:
If I'm real, real, lucky, I may even find one who will even overlook not having cats at all.

Mike, I'm Apalled , Your the one that always talked about keeping the CATS on these Trucks because they were designed to run with them and and the fact thet the performance gained does not outweigh the EMISSION's they prevent.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Really, about all this emissions stuff don't cost or rob much if any HP. The biggest complaint I have about the stuff is how hard it is to make something look nice. One other thing I really hate is not being able to find any aluminum pulleys that will work with the smog pump. If it weren't for this, I would most definetely have some polished billet pulleys on mine.

Before I found out I could use two cats, which I could have been all along but was told I couldn't, this was my biggest gripe with emissions. Being able to have a true dual exhaust. Y-pipes just don't cut it for me. I know I have a good y-pipe exhaust system, but we all know duals are a lot better. Not counting the sound.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #8
DCRANER

Quote:
Really, about all this emissions stuff don't cost or rob much if any HP. The biggest complaint I have about the stuff is how hard it is to make something look nice. One other thing I really hate is not being able to find any aluminum pulleys that will work with the smog pump. If it weren't for this, I would most definetely have some polished billet pulleys on mine.

Before I found out I could use two cats, which I could have been all along but was told I couldn't, this was my biggest gripe with emissions. Being able to have a true dual exhaust. Y-pipes just don't cut it for me. I know I have a good y-pipe exhaust system, but we all know duals are a lot better. Not counting the sound.
My system came out quite nice. The Random Tech. Stainless cats are very small, about the size / shape of a Coke bottle. They are welded in and look almost factory, not very noticable. So, they fit real nice off of the header collectors. My full system is the Ceramic headers, stainless pipes (2 1/2") & cats, and stainless Flowmaster 40's. I do have an H-Pipe to help balance the flow, etc. I can tell you with my ZZ430 engine it is not loud inside the cab and there is Zero resonance. All is topped of with 69 Chevelle oval tips right out the back.

Doug
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, and DCRANER, do you by any chance, have some pics of the way your exhaust looks? I would love to see it.