The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
RShaips

My 86 K10 seatbelts don't lock

My truck is a 86 4 x 4 and it has shoulder harness seatbelts that should lock when they are pulled on but neither side works. Has anybody had this problem ? Do I need to replace them or can they be fixed or adjusted ? Thanks
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
RShaips

anybody had this problem ?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Grim Reaper

They don't lock when you jerk them or they lock loose? Locking loose is a pain in the butt. GM designed these so that you could leave a little slack in them. Prioblem is if you lean fowarad to adjust the radio now you have a BUNCH of slack in them. Then you have to fight to get them to retract.

Most of tha Replacment aftermarket belts I have seen do not have the hazard errr feature. I hate it and I disabled it by removing the plunger assembly that sticks through the door. Now the bels are always trying to retract and stay snug. Staying snug is the best way for a belt to be. If it has slack you will move and possibly come out from under the belt.

Now if it is not locking when you jerk it...might be normal These belts use a pendulum (sp) to lock. There is a weight in the bottom of the retractor and when the vehcile makes a sudden speed or direction change the pendulum swings and locks the belt. You will not be able to duplicate it working with the truck sitting still. drive down the road slam on the brakes and try to lean foward at the same time to veirfy they are working.

This sort of belt sucks if it's in a 4x4. You get the truck all off level and then get out. When ween you get back in the belt will have retracted but not let you pull it back out till it's close to level. I been contiplating going to 4 points because of this.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
RShaips

They do not lock at all, driving or sitting still. Im guess I will take them apart and see what I can find, I just thought it unusuall that both belts don't work. I would expect one to break but both ?