The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
nevada70chev

Question a/c compressor oil

need some help with the oil level in the compressor. i got the cracked hose fixed. thanks to blue4x4, who help me pressurize the system for leaks. now how do i tell how much oil is in the compressor? it did not leak any out when i replaced the hoses, so how do i tell if the oil level is ok or not? also the oil didn't look dirty, kind of the color of olive oil. any all help if appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
mrein3

I replaced a lot of GM AC hoses when I worked at the shop. I never added oil for a new hose.

A new receiver/dryer or compressor would cause you to add oil but you should be ok if you are just changing out the hose.

With the system open you should replace the receiver/dryer. I believe they are still less than $30. Get new o-rings for all the fittings you took apart. I last charged my '72 Malibu in 1989. That system is identical to what you should have if your truck's AC is original.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
nevada70chev

Thanks

i just want to be sure i am doing things right, don't want to have to buy a new compressor, thanks. the next step is to replace the refrigerant now. hopefully, i will have a/c for the summer
Old 06-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

One way to look at your system since the oil travels through out is to add when you replace a component only if you lose some oil, (as in the compressor or drier). The system takes 8 ounces when completely dry. So for example if you replaced the condenser you may want to add a couple of ounces. A hose would be negligible so you probably would not want to add.
If you add too much oil, the AC unit will not cool properly.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote