The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
kballan

Dash gauge printed circuits...

Okay guys, I need some help here. Tonight a buddy of mine GAVE me a set of gauges with a factory tach. He found these at one of our salvage yards here. The guy is selling the place to the owner of the other scrapyard here, and he had them in the building, so my buddy scooped them up for me. Anyway, long story short, on the back of the gauge pod, one of the circuits (for the right turn signal blinker) is broken. Here's my question - Can I use the same printed circuit that's on my gauges (without the tach), or do I have to repair the one on the tach gauges? Or - do I have to get a new printed circuit? I have some adhesive aluminum tape that I can put on the circuit, but I'm not sure if this will get a good connection or not. I can post pics of the gauges and circuit if needed. Thanks guys!

ANY MAN CAN BUILD A TRUCK, BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP!
kballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

You'll need a tach circuit -- they are completely different from a regular one as far as the fuel gauge stuff goes.

You could probally fix that busted circuit with a bit of ingenuity, maybe a tab of solder or something? Other option is to solder some wires to either end of the signal light housing tabs, then directly connect them to their respective wires on the harness. Its back behind your dash, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, just so long as it works
Old 08-27-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
kballan

I figured that the circuits were different - damn! Lol. Oh well. I'm going to see if that aluminum tape works, but if not I'll have to try a dab of solder. Thanks Russell!

Old 08-27-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Also, first couple times you go driving with the tach in there -- Go down some pretty empty streets, tachs are very distracting, lol
Old 08-27-2004, 03:54 AM   #5
kballan

Lol! No worries there - she won't be road worthy for a while yet! Also forgot a question earlier. Is there a certain type of wiring harness that I have to get to plug into the back of the tach? It's a 3 prong plug and I didn't get a harness with the gauges. If I do have to get one, does anyone know where a guy can pick one up?

Old 08-27-2004, 04:36 AM   #6
red450ih

You can make you own tach harness. One prong goes to the HEI, the other two are switched 12V and ground. It should be stamped on there wich goes where, but if not I can look at mine (not in yet).

Keith
Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

What each pole is is just stamped onto the back of the tach. Run one to the same power port as your buzzer (you'll find that the back of the connectore for the buzzer has a place right in it to connect another accessory to) and run one to the ground box just behind the wiper / headlight switch (just a thing with a bunch of black wires going to it that is grounded to the cab, you'll see it right away) and the third goes to the TACH port on your HEI. Easy as pie to hook up
Old 08-28-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

LOL tach distraction! I doubt I'd last if i had a tach (or a manual), i stare at my oil, volts, and temp a tad too much, especially with that toast battery of mine.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
kballan

A-HA! I see what you guys mean (Red & Russell). I didn't look that closely on the back of the tach housing. I see that it's stamped on there where each prong goes. Guess it helps to wipe off a little dust & grime first, lol. Thanks for all the help guys! Now to clean up these gauges.

Last edited by kballan; 08-28-2004 at 01:41 PM.