The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
ksamps01

Spring Question

I have a couple of questions here.

I really need new springs all the way around. My Plan is to install 2.5 inch drop spindles in the front and 2 inch drop springs in the back. I want to keep a bit of rake. Am I going to lose any load capacity with the drop springs?

Also, I currently am running a SBC but plan on moving up to a BBC in the fairly near future. Would it hurt anything to go ahead and install the big block springs while I am running the small block engine? Will the lighter engine effect the handling seriously?

Thanks.

It may be ugly but at least it's slow!!
ksamps01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

Load capacity stays the same, big block springs will give you a firmer ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksamps01
I have a couple of questions here.

I really need new springs all the way around. My Plan is to install 2.5 inch drop spindles in the front and 2 inch drop springs in the back. I want to keep a bit of rake. Am I going to lose any load capacity with the drop springs?

Also, I currently am running a SBC but plan on moving up to a BBC in the fairly near future. Would it hurt anything to go ahead and install the big block springs while I am running the small block engine? Will the lighter engine effect the handling seriously?

Thanks.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
77leo79

I replaced my front springs with progressive load rated for bb in my 79 and it and used gas shocks. It rides a medium soft at normal conditions and as conditions get more demanding the ride becomes very firm,at higher speeds and curvey hiways and such loads with towing involved. I can find out the part numbers if you need...I had them installed for me at a shop. I put in a 305 vortec to give you an idea of my engine weight and my feel of the road is pretty good whereas the lighter rated springs gave a sluggish feel. Hope this helps
77leo79 is offline   Reply With Quote