The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
mckpaul

Tailpipe question

I'm putting a flowmaster, it has one in and two out. (Right now just have one stock pipe after the muffler) I'll be buying new tailpipes, either ones that turn out behind the tire, or ones that go all the way out under ther bumper. The local auto parts place (Autozone) lists tail pipes, one for left, one for right, they don't stock them but can get them in a day or two.

Obviously the passenger side pipe has to be bent to route back to the driver side since there will only be one flowmaster. Seems like they would have two listings for the passenger tailpipe, one for one muffler with two outs (like the flowmaster) and another for a true dual setup that actually has a second muffler on the passenger side.

Guess I got a 50/50 chance, but if I get them to order the passenger tailpipe, you think it will be bent for one muffler with 2 outs on the driver side, or bent for true duals looking for a muffler on the passenger side?

EDIT: The guy at the parts store just pointed out something I didn't think about. His part will be a stock replacement for what ever was there to begin with for that vehicle. Guess that clarifies and changes my question.

So, in 84, off the assembly line, did some have the 'dual tailpipe' set up? Was there a factory one-in-two-out muffler? I'm now thinking there were no true 'dual exhaust' systems off the line, with the emissions requirements, they just put one cat, one muffler, and maybe just offered a choice of one or two outputs/tailpipes off the one muffler?

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*

Last edited by mckpaul; 09-08-2004 at 04:48 PM.
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

if i remember correctly the factory dual tail pipe option exited on the same side...go to and exhaust shop and just have them use new pipe and have them mandrel bend it (no kinks)...i am contemplating a new exhaust set up myself...
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
mckpaul

You know, never thought about that. I have seen some with two pipes on the same side. Never understood that, single exhaust up to the muffler, bring two pipes out of the muffler and dump them out on the same side next to each other.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote