The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Talking Ias

just wondering. has anyone here used the Edelbrock IAS shocks? are they any good? and another thing, my horn doesent work. it works only when I put a fuse in ther, and when I honk it, it blows the fuse. probly just a short. but dont know how to find out if it is a short. and another thing. my left head light is dimming and sometimes goes out, so I want to get a new light. But the thing is, is that it doesent have the 3 prong plug in like the others. it has 2 studs in a pattern of a triangle like the standerd plug is and one midle prong *high beams?* and no where around her can I find them. any sugestions? thank you guys. I am a newbe from lynnwood wa, with a 79 GMC c 1500 trailering spec. 350/350 with lots of TLC needed. thank you all. Matt

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 11-02-2004 at 05:55 AM.
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
eagle23

I have IAS's on the front of my 77 C-10 2WD, and I really like them. Recommend them in a heart beat.

I had KYB's on there before, and they seemed little better than the ancient originals...though I have to qualify that I have air shocks on the back, and their damping is pretty tight, aired up or not.

Had that same situation years ago on an old Olds Cutlass, and had to go with stiff front shocks so the car wouldn't "pivot" around the stiff rear air shocks, i.e., the front end continued to bob a bit after bumps while the rear stayed planted.

Hope that helps.

Brian
eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
79gmcc15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle23
I have IAS's on the front of my 77 C-10 2WD, and I really like them. Recommend them in a heart beat.

I had KYB's on there before, and they seemed little better than the ancient originals...though I have to qualify that I have air shocks on the back, and their damping is pretty tight, aired up or not.

Had that same situation years ago on an old Olds Cutlass, and had to go with stiff front shocks so the car wouldn't "pivot" around the stiff rear air shocks, i.e., the front end continued to bob a bit after bumps while the rear stayed planted.

Hope that helps.

Brian
Hey cool, thank you... you said you have air shock in the rear? is that diferent the bags? if so is it posable for you to tell me the major diference is, IE. handleing, ect.? what brand, ect. are you useing? Ive been lookin into air bags but if the shocks are better/as good and cheaper then I defenitly should look into them. just looking cause I have alot of things I want to do to it but dont have the money to do it... but making the truck handle better is always a good thing. when I worked for a massonary company and they had a 87 chevy one ton flat bed. and the stearing was very simular to one of the owners 96 burb and spoiled me. lol. I would go from driveing a truck that the handling was very reponsive and tight and could feel the road. to a lose and couldent feel the road as much. I dont know if thats fixable but I realy liked that. thank you matt

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 11-02-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
eagle23

There is a difference between air bags and air shocks. The bags replace the springs, while the shox are regular shox with air lines routed to a convenient access point, like near the license plate, so you can air them up when carrying a heavy load. If the truck is unloaded, they'll raise the ride height in the back maybe an inch or two.

I hadn't thought of it until you said it, but they do in effect act as a rear sway bar when inflated...how hard they're inflated is up to you. I think they usually max ~140 psi, but you can set them wherever you want/need. I realized the slightly better handling when I went to get a load of mulch recently and aired them up in advance. It did handle better though the stance might have looked a bit odd for the slightly raised-butt appearance :p

You can also put on a rear sway bar to improve handling. I haven't done that (yet!). I think the Burbs tended to come with a rear sway bar (anyone?), and it should just bolt-on but not be too treacherous when also combined with a full load and aired-up shocks. And if it did, that's why God gave us oversteer and learning curves

Brian
Old 11-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
eagle23

Forgot one of your questions

I think the ones on there now are Gabriel Hijackers, but I believe Monroe has an equivalent. The Cutlass used the Gabriels (years! ago), maybe because they were the only ones I knew of.

Brian
Old 11-02-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
79gmcc15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle23
Forgot one of your questions

I think the ones on there now are Gabriel Hijackers, but I believe Monroe has an equivalent. The Cutlass used the Gabriels (years! ago), maybe because they were the only ones I knew of.

Brian
so would air shocks be better set for someone who would sometimes have a load/tow? I would like some controle. but by the looks of things, an low end/mild set *all 4' corners* is going to run me about $500 which isent the toooooo bad but it is to much for me. and I am going to get a sawy bar when I get the money. thats going to be the next thing for me. some time I would like to re-build the front end with the polly bushings. mabe that will help alot. I know my ole truck isent going to drive like a car. but with everything*except shocks...monrows I think. I dident put them on* stock, it is a realy nice smooth ride. sometimes my truck has a better ride then my dads 85 pontic 6000. would it be best to put air shocks just in the back or do you think they would improve ride/handeling,ect. if I put them on all 4?..... thanks guys I sometimes spend hours here reading and learning. I love this site.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
SanitysBane

sorry to threadjack, but the truck doesn't have front shocks at all(helps get the front end raised up when taking off), should i get IAS shocks or should i just keep the old worn out junkers on the rear?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
eagle23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
sorry to threadjack, but the truck doesn't have front shocks at all(helps get the front end raised up when taking off), should i get IAS shocks or should i just keep the old worn out junkers on the rear?
Depends on whether you like that or not, I guess

Having no front shocks would drive me nuts, but then that's me. The IAS's *will* keep the front end planted, so if you don't want that result, don't use them. If you put them only on the front and leave the old rears, I suspect it will be wierd for sure.

Brian