The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

keyless entry

I'm planning on installing a new alarm system. The units I've looked at, even the low end stuff are two channel.
What's involved with attaching servos to the lock mechanism for keyless entry, and how difficult is this? Please tell me what brand of alarms you're using, and how well they work for you. I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles (well maybe I am when it goes off), but I'd like a good reliable, and durable system.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
cali_surfer

I dont have an alarm on my truck, but did install AutoLoc's power door locks and keyless entry system. It's a really nice feature on an old vehicle, especially if you're used to all the bells and whistles of new cars. It's really not that hard of an install to do, the hardest part would be linking the door lock actuators with the existing door lock mechanism, must get the proper relationship and angle so the actuator doesn't bind up. I drilled two holes thru the side of the door post and attached the actuator with screws and spaced it out on the inside of the door to get smoothest operation of the door lock mechanism (would have been nice to weld studs onto the inside of the door, eliminating screw heads on the door post, but that wasn't feasible since my truck is already painted). With the AutoLoc kit, the locks are set up to be central locking, meaning when you lock one the other one goes down, and vice versa. The keyless entry kit is also good quality. The transmitters have surprisingly long range (I can lock/unlock my truck from in the house or at the other end of a long parking lot).
Old 12-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Here are some pics of the electric lock solenoids I put in my Jimmy. I welded studs to a flat piece of plate then welded the plate to the door. I welded a little tab onto the door lock thingy and drilled a hole in it for the rod.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
cali_surfer

Good pics, thats exactly how I wanted to do it, but where Gee_Emm's screws are welded to the plate, on my install they go thru the door.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
Chevy_Jim_71

good thread i have been thinking about doing the same to mine but i was wondering whats the easiest way to take the glass off the track without breaking it into a million pieces
Old 12-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I found this one the other day, I kind of like it and am thinking of going this way with my shaved doors.

Essex keyless entry
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #7
68gmcdually

I want to do the same thing with my truck, and now is the perfect time as the glass is out and the doors have just been primered. Just have to check for an Autoloc dealer in Canada.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmcdually
I want to do the same thing with my truck, and now is the perfect time as the glass is out and the doors have just been primered. Just have to check for an Autoloc dealer in Canada.

I got the stuff to do my locks at Princess Auto, it was like $20 for a kit, I will just have to buy an alarm to hook them up to so I will have keyless entry.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:44 PM   #9
Hooter
My other Love

You can get actuators for like 10 bucks each, even cheaper in some places, thats just the price we sell them for and for a good quality kit with remotes you're looking to spend like 30- 40 bucks with two remotes, then just wire it all up, and you get a cheap systen without built in relays, you just have to wire it reverse polarity, if you need the diagram, i might be able to provide it

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #10
68gmcdually

It didn't take long to hear from some fellow Canadians, I am going to try and hit Princess Auto on my way home from the HASC flea market at the International Center in Mississauga tomorrow. I am also going to check with LECTRICS, they specialize in Hot rod type applications for a price.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:51 AM   #11
72MARIO

I have seen thoes kit's at the princess auto in missauga (sp) about a year or so ago If I remember right the kit was around 50 dollars but it did not come with the remotes and the kit that included the remotes was $100.The remotes were not anything I ever wanted to see hanging form my key chain. I was thinking of installing keyless entry in my 67 but it's just another project and another $100 to add to the final parts list. So I decided to pass on it. For some one who has the time and the extra bit of cash I think it would be well worth it.

I have seen A1 has a great looking kit and styling remotes too.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:53 AM   #12
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Thanks everybody for the replys...RON W; that essex system looks really cool. It's just a little too fancy for my needs. I'm just trying to utilize the other channel on an alarm remote. I figured power locks would be the most sensible.
Hooter; I'm going to look into lock actuator kits.. I'd prefer that everything function normal, and that I would be able to lock/unlock with the remote as well. I assumed that generic kits were available, but I've never seen one.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 AM   #13
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

John, I just went back and reread your initial post. I misread it initially. SORRY !

My set up is a "Code Alarm" I bought it through Sears at Meadows Mall there in Vegas. At the time it cost $200.00. It is a complete Alarm and remote door lock set up. The Selenoids it uses have a Clamp that clamps on to the rod that runs to the Lock/unlock rod. Fully adjustable. I have had it in since 92 or 93 and no troubles whatsoever.. This Model is I'm sure outdated but you may want to check into the Brand name just the same to see what they have came out with now..

This setup, Locks/unlocks the Doors, Turns on the (interior lights) dome Light,honks the horn Or flashes the parking lights to show arm/disarm, has a two stage alarm system. can be used with Auxilary selenoids to open/close the trunk Etc. You can set the alarm to activate on it's own, or only activate when you push the remote. It has a Valet switch.and an Override switch. It may do more but I have forgotten if it does..

I have pictures somewhere, must be on the laptop.

Hope this is more online of what you were looking for..

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:14 PM   #14
Hooter
My other Love

you can accomplish the same thing by just buying the actuators, relays and pigtails for the relays separately and probably for cheaper if you shop around, but with the kits, at least you know you have everything

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote