The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Low69CST

Couple questions about fluid lines

1) I converted my 69 to discs and left the orginal drum tab for the flex line in place. To meet it looks like it may pinch in a tight turn. I've seen disc brake trucks move the point to the front side of the crossmember. Look like a problem to leave it here?

2) My headers come way up on the inside of the frame and I'm bending brake lines to go from the frame to the cylinder. Is there clearance to bring the lines up behind the shock, between the frame and the inner fenders?

3) On my transmission, the things that metal loop screws into, are those fittings that unscrew? Can I replace these with an NPT to AN fitting to run braided stainless lines? I think i asked this before, but can't remember.

Thanks
Attached Images

Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

You need adapters to run braided line for your tranny cooler lines. I used 3/8 inverted flare to -6 an. It worked out just fine.

I swapped my 67 to discs and used new '71 hard lines and made new mounting brackets for the soft lines out of aluminum. I mounted them in the same location as the stock '71 mounting tabs. I went with stainless braided soft lines. They were a little longer than stock rubber hoses. I had a friend get in it and turn the wheels lock to lock several times to make sure there was no binding.

I used a prebent stainless hardline kit and was also dissapointed with the tight clearance between the headers and the frame. If you are bending your own lines, you should be able to bring the lines up behind the shock. Just remember to tie them down good to reduce vibration. From the looks of your pic, you got that covered.

BTW....I would love to know more about your rear Camaro swaybar mentioned in your signature.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

When I converted my 70 to discs, I had the same issue with the front hoses. I wound up bending the little tab that the line/hose mounts to on the crossmember. Stock, the hose angles down toward the ground. I wound up bending it to where the hose came straight out of the crossmember. It made the hoses lay better as the wheels turned lock to lock.

Picture 2, bend the tab up about 45 degrees, is what I'm saying.

Question 2, yes, you can run the lines outside of the framerails. Some trucks had them that way stock.

Question 3, yes, those fittings do unscrew. One of the racy type of hose manufacturers sells those fittings that take AN instead of the flare like stock. I've definitely seen them in street rods magazines, a company called Goodman if I remember correctly.