The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
tmad

Lets figure this out!!!

Hey folks! I know this topic has been beat to death at least a time or two, But can someone explain how shiming a power steering box out on a 67 can cause undo stress? I do believe that one must have the entire front linkage readjusted so things can be recentered and if this is done, I myself can't see how the system could be put under any added stress. Please share your thoughts and knowledge of this topic!!!! Thanks Todd.
tmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
gr8scott51

Seems like a lot of work when all you have to do is heat the frame to cherry red and pop it with a ball peen to make the dimple for clearance.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
purple gas

I was wondering that myself. my truck has little bumps where the bolt holes are. Built in shimms if you will. In the process of installing power steering I changed enough parts that I'd be nuts not to have an alignment done anyways. But then in the long list of things I'm not an expert on, steering is right near the top.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When you use longer bolts they are more likely to bend or shear.That's the long and short of it.The shims will offer more support than just longer bolts but "It is your steering system we're talking about!"BTW where will you be driving if you do use shims?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
tmad

All good points!! I was just trying to figure out where the added stress would be generated. I do agree with the longer bolt Idea. I would hope anybody doing anything on steering would use a grade 8 or better!!! Hey PanelDeland Im not sure what your asking, but if I use shims Im still not driving until spring. the old girl dont go in the snow!!! For all the frame dimplers.... Do you worry about heat hardening your frame rails???? Thanks for the input Keep em coming we may all be experts soon!!! LOL!!!!!
tmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Bob Moore

When I changed my 67 manual steering to power I did not have access to a torch so I used the shim method. The shims I used turned out to be washers about 1/16th inch thick. I have put over 50,000 miles on this set-up. It is in a 3/4 ton 2wd 454 powered rig. Goes down the road straight and turns without a problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
hobby67stepside

My '67 frame has the dimpled steering gear mounts. Must have been a late '67. I still had to use 2 washers to move the PS sector I installed a little further outboard for clearance issues. Unless my old physics classes fail me, most of the force on the sector itself would be left or right (of the frame) so there would be little or no shear forces on the bolts. It would mainly be push or pull which even grade 5 can take a lot of.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Hooter
My other Love

on a 4wd i can see it being a big problem, but if you use good grade 8 bolts, torque everything down, and make sure everything is straight i cant see it being too much trouble at all, just go down and inspect everything once and a while, to make sure everything is tickety boo, and tighten the bolts down every once and a while, because movement will be what will cauze the stress and breakage

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #9

Eighteen years ago, I put a 72 power steering box on a 65 pickup. I used a piece of 1/2" flat stock, cut a hole to provide the necessary clearance, and used that for a spacer. It's still on the truck today and never been a problem. Just my solution at the time. Frank
72402 is offline   Reply With Quote