The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
rusted75 half ton
More trusty Less rusty

Leaf springs

I have a set of leaf springs i'd like to rebuild,take apart paint and repack.my question is does it matter wich direction there in when they go together is there a front and back left or right or are they universal.i don't think theres a problem but want to make sure before hand.also was thinking I could take them apart and have a shop put them together,how do they come apart?can anyone who's done this before point me the right way?Thanks
rusted75 half ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The first thing you need to know is...BE CAREFUL! There is quite a bit of pressure stored in the stack. It's not all that hard to get them apart though. You need at least to large C-clamps. You clamp them a few inches from the center bolt before trying to loosen it. Most of the time they break anyway and this will keep it from jumping apart on you. Then just unsrew the clamps and seperate the pack. I'm pretty sure that the bolt is off center a little bit, so there is a front and back to the leaves.(left to right doesn't matter) Essentually they go back together the same way. Get yourself some new bolts, it's good insurance. Also get a piece of 5/16" round bar stock from the hardware store (at least a foot long should do it) When you are ready to re-assemble: Put the round bar through the center hole of the main leaf and start stacking the rest. They get shorter as they go. When you have them all stacked together, use the C-clamps again to compress them. Tapping the springs and the round bar (with a hammer) as you go, will keep them straight. When you get the pack totally compressed drive the round bar out with the new center bolt and tighten it up. DO NOT try to compress the pack with the bolt.........it will break, gall, or strip. Also if you have the new center bolt in the pack as you compress it, most of the time the threads get smashed. The smooth rod is the simplest way.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Nolowrider

Rusted: I am getting ready to do the same thing this weekend. I don't think it matters if they go left or right, but it may as far as the direction, not sure. I am not going to rebuilt, just replace. I found a real clean set in a salvage yard for $40.00. My truck leans 1" on the drivers side. I hope this will fix it. My truck is lowered so I have to remove about 4 of the leafs. How many does your truck have. The one I found has 8. I can't remember how many I removed 20 years ago when I lowered it.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 01-07-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
rusted75 half ton
More trusty Less rusty

Hi,Nolowrider took me awile to get back.I had found a set in the junkyard along with an axel,there pretty clean,but I was wanting to take them apart to give em a coat of paint and replace some of the hardware.They have 10 leafs on each side my current one on the truck are 7.It looks like there are some sort of pins? in the leafs.Do you know how these work?
rusted75 half ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Nolowrider

I found a good set of springs in a salvage yard Friday. I payed $40.00 for both, not too bad. They had 8 leafs each, so I removed 4 off each one to match what wasone my truck. Put them in and works great. It really improved the ride in the rear end. I guess my old ones were shot. It went pretty smooth except a spring kind of sprung out and hit me in the side of the head. I have a pretty good gash on my ear. I did what Longhair suggested with the C clamps. Never really figured out what the round bar was for though. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The round bar goes through the hole in the center, keeping the leaves in line.
You take it out and replace it with the center-bolt when you have them fully compressed.

By removing leaves from the pack, you probably reduced the stiffness (and carrying capacity) of the springs. This is what gives you the smoother ride. Beware of the potential for springwrap and wheel-hop though.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

Why not just install a flip kit? That way you don’t have to weaken the spring pack. If you are weakening the pack enough to drop the light weight bed a few inches what is going to happen when you haul some thing? Even hauling @ss could be a problem.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Nolowrider

Believe me, hauling a55 is no problem. This truck is my toy. I have another 4x4 for hauling and pulling stuff. Wait, I take that back. I do have a spare tire back there. I removed a few spring and I cut and welded the shackles. It rides great, no bouncing, wheel hop or anything. I have considered doing the flip to go lower in the back. But, not sure about the "c-notch". Meaning if it is really worth the trouble to go down anoth 2 inches or so.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolowrider
But, not sure about the "c-notch". Meaning if it is really worth the trouble to go down anoth 2 inches or so.
YES. I love mine and I'll be cutting up every truck I own from now on. I've done it the other way on about 4 other truck/blazers and the ride is so much better on my current truck. I would definitely recommend it. I would compare it to heating the coils instead of using drop spindles. I think it made that big of a difference. But either way, the truck will look better lowered. IMO
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Nolowrider

Does cutting the frame lessen the strength? I can see where it would have its bennefits. Glad it works good for you. It will probably be a project for me in the near future. I just want to work on upgrading my motor right now.