The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
edog1

Do you feel safe

I just wanted to get some opinion about how safe do you feel driving your older truck compared to a new truck with ABS, Air Bags etc. Please dont get me wrong im not trying bash our trucks. My wife and I had our first child and Im starting to look at life a little different now. I want to do everything I can to make my family safe.
edog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
C-10volvo

Considering that my '84 c-10 was my first car, I feel more safe in it than my other cars. except for my Volvo... hahaha. I find my cavalier to be the scariest thing on wheels. I honestly think I could avoid an accident better with a non ABS car than one that is equipped. The only real weak points of these truck are brakes. I have upgraded the front disks with brembos.

People have very mixed feelings with air bags. Some say they cause more damage, while some can walk away from a head on collision. I personally think air bags are great, but I don’t feel unsafe driving in a car without them.

C-10 truck have huge amounts of space under the hood to crumple before the cab does. The only weak safety issues with these trucks are side impacts. Throw in a roll cage and call it good!
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
edog1

Thanks Ken
I have been trying to decide if I should buy a new truck or not. My wife doesnt feel safe in my 85 Crew Cab DRW and she will never drive the "Monster" as she refers to it. I hate the idea of a $600 month truck payment but i dont want someone geting hurt because im being cheap.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
CT-Truckster
?

wear your seatbelt no matter what you drive, air bag won't do anygood if your bouncing around linside like pingpong ball, or get thrown out of the vehicle and it lands on top of you. and make sure your kids are buckled in correctly. as long as you keep everything(brakes, seatbelts and such) on your 85 operating correctly i don't see why you wouldn't be as safe as about any other vehicle on the road. besides if i was going to be in a wreck I'd take your 85 crew cab tank with bad brakes and no air bag over some compact car with all the safety features anyday.
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog1
Thanks Ken
I have been trying to decide if I should buy a new truck or not. My wife doesnt feel safe in my 85 Crew Cab DRW and she will never drive the "Monster" as she refers to it. I hate the idea of a $600 month truck payment but i dont want someone geting hurt because im being cheap.
I don't know . ..... your crewcab is one big truck. What would a newer truck (Tahoe, burb, or crewcab) have over it safety wise? ABS, safety air-bags? What else?

Personally, I would rather be in a vehicle that offers the better weight ratio in the event of an unforseen impact. The bigger vehicle will transfer less of the impact to it's occupants.

The only area that I would worry vs. a newer truck is the old side mounted gas tanks. It would be easier (& cheaper.... I mean more economically responsible ) to move the tank/s under the bed & inside the frame rails than incur a $600+ monthly pmt + the cost of insurance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #6
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I feel alot safer in an older auto because they were built better and have more metal than the newer plastic cars and trucks...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #7
87 Shortwide

Looks like its time to sell that crewcab to me and get a new truck

Project: 87 GMC shortwide, About to get a little boost
87 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
Mike76251

I like my '84 because there is no computer on it to strand me,
I like the weight of it compared to your average Geo,
I like how it responds in a crash........two so far and no damage.
If I had a child to protect, I would want a air bag in the vehicle IF the child was old enough not to get hurt when it fired.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
purple gas

I've driven everything from beaters to the most modern saftey equiped cars. like others have said, keep everything well maintained, wear your seatbelts, and upgrading to disk brakes can't hurt. But the most important safety feature in any car is the one between the steering wheel & the seat. Being in a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things most of us will ever do. There is no such thing as a traffic "accident". Keep your mind on driving, assume ever other person on the road is a blind, drunk, idiot, who can't see stop signs or red lights. The best way to survive a car crash is to avoid it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
Blue Beard

No matter what you drive there's always potential for safety issues.

How many times have you heard of someone getting injured by air bags, or shoulder belts that are made to protect you. Even fatalities from these....

I like older vehicles because they were built strong....but they do cause the same amount of issues.

I rely more on the fact that I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and am more aware of what goes on around me....but even that isn't 100%

I believe it's all a matter of personal preferance...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i feel safer in my longbed than i ever did in my little 86 mazda pickup ... you could find shoulder straps for your truck ... with only the lap belt sometimes i worry about how that rear window and the steering wheel might feel against my head

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
edog1

Im looking at buying a 2005 F250 Crew Cab LB 4x4 diesel . My truck is in good mechanical shape it has front disk brakes and shoulder belt but it takes a long time to stop this truck especially in a panic stop when the roads are wet.

Im also a motorcycle rider and couldnt agree more about being aware while riding it does develop into safe driving habbits.

I know nothing is a 100 % safe I would just like to to improve my odds a little.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
rolson1039

im prolly the only person on here who will tell you the ford is a great truck, but then again i have several trucks for work and some are chevys others are fords.. ill give you the newer ones are more luxurious and quieter but i think my old trucks properly maintained run just as well as the newer ones. ABS is no big issue to me neither are airbags... as long as the truck runs well and is maintained ,body , chassis, and motor, i wouldnt go out of my way to buy a newer truck unless its something i really wanted.. my 86 has 268K and it runs now as good as the day it was new
Old 01-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #14
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

well, one issue all of yall kinda ignored is the lack of headrests on benchseats. If your hit from behind or into something, fly forward, then whip back, your head is gonna bang into that nice hard rear glass. My mom does nothing but complain about that, she wants to ghetto up my seats somehow and put some headrests on there, but i won't let her.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
plumbcut
california fill

not having abs doesnt really affect a GOOD driver.. lets be honest its mainly for people that are going to panic stop and jump on the brakes at the first sensation of hydroplaning, or whatever... they're great for their intended purpose.. an experienced, conscientious (sp?) driver can do as well or better w/o ABS.....

as for airbags-- Im not convinced either way.. I do know that I dont want it going off in anything less than about a 40mph head-on... I think it would do more damage to me and my pocketbook, in your average fender bender. im no expert- but from what I gather, airbag technology is pretty good these days and late model airbags are only going to go off when they need to. of course nothing is 100% though.

my only real beef with our old trucks is the steering column, it can do some real damage.. I have been in a serious head on in a 77 pickup and the steering column came down and broke my left femur. you should have seen the shape of the steering wheel afterwards

saddle tanks- this has been beaten to death... I dont think they're really that much of a hazzard. but at the same time I dont feel its the best design they could have done.

if you feel unsafe w/ the saddle tanks- doesnt the aftermarket make tanks with a rubber liner inside that is supposed to resist tearing in the event of a side-impact? or am I thinking of a different vehicle......

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbcut
.... saddle tanks- this has been beaten to death... I dont think they're really that much of a hazzard. but at the same time I dont feel its the best design they could have done.

if you feel unsafe w/ the saddle tanks- doesnt the aftermarket make tanks with a rubber liner inside that is supposed to resist tearing in the event of a side-impact? or am I thinking of a different vehicle......

pc
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying the side tanks are any more dangerous than other options. I just know alot of people do have issues w/them & I wasn't sure if that was one of his safety concerns.

I have a 74 w/saddle tank & I'm not any more worried than when I drive my 68 w/the tank sitting mere inches away from my backside. I think the best alternative is under the bed, within the framerails, & behind the rear bumper & @ least 1 crossmember.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

considering they're making cars nowadays out of plastic and plastic, we feel real safe in the dually- if we hit anybody, we're likely gonna go over them, and theres a good foot of open space that the hood can crumble before even touching the motor...

Plastic vs IRON.....who would you expect to win?
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #18
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead
considering they're making cars nowadays out of plastic and plastic, we feel real safe in the dually- if we hit anybody, we're likely gonna go over them, and theres a good foot of open space that the hood can crumble before even touching the motor...

Plastic vs IRON.....who would you expect to win?
that's my feelings in general. 4800 pounds of steel and iron vs 2100 pounds of plastic, im pretty sure i'd come out the better of the two, and i consider myself a safe driver, it would be someone hitting me that concerns me.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #19
Tom
driving is in my blood

I feel very safe. I would feel safer with some nice bucket seats that hold you from moving around in the 79 [the 78 has custom buckets with 4 point harness, you don't feel much safer then that]. I rolled a new car, a 99 accord. The airbags never went off. The ABS did not work. Niether me nor my passenger had any injurys at all. Why? We wore our belts. Thats all thats needed IMO.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I know a short bed 1/2 ton doesn't compare to your long bed crew cab with dual wheels, and hydro boosted brakes, but here's my opinion.

My 77 is a very well mannered truck. It runs ok for a stock 350, and the brakes are in excellent condition so they stop as good as stock brakes should. The steering, and suspension are in like new condition too.Do I feel just as safe in that truck as my late model trucks? NO Way!

The 4 wheel disc brakes, a fat sway bar, and huge shocks are just some of the many advantages of a late model truck. Add wipers that are intermittent, lights that are far superior, steering that responds quickly, and a motor that will power you out of a tight spot when you need it, and the advantage of mechanical advancement becomes very clear.

I love to drive that little black truck as much as any truck I have ever owned, and I will drive it every chance I get. Do I think it's just as safe to drive as a late model truck? Sorry guys, but it's just not the case.

I will say that with some effort, I think it can be made much safer than what it was when it left the factory, and I intend to see what I can do to accomplish that.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #21
longhorn71

I hate abs on ice.they do not really help i think.
Airbags have got better but i still hate them.
the newer trucks are better in a collsion becase they absorb the impact so i feel safer.the older trucks are tougher in a collsion but you can get hurt bashing into the steel in them.
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #22
454_72_4X4

Personelly I despise ABS.
You'll never learn if you rely on ABS to do it for you.
One failed fuse/conection/computer "blip" and you have no idea of the capabilities of your vehicle.
I have mixed feelings on airbags.

If I were better at expressing myself I'd have written this;

Quote:
But the most important safety feature in any car is the one between the steering wheel & the seat. Being in a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things most of us will ever do. There is no such thing as a traffic "accident". Keep your mind on driving, assume ever other person on the road is a blind, drunk, idiot, who can't see stop signs or red lights. The best way to survive a car crash is to avoid it.
Excellent writing purple gas!
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #23
1987SierraClassic

In my humble opinion, safety is more a driver issue than a vehicle issue. People today are lulled into a false sense of security thinking that the safety systems of the vehicle are going to compensate for their lack of driving skill.

Do I feel 'safer' in a newer vehicle. No, not any more so than I do my '87. I rely on my experience and abilities to keep me out of harms way. I don't cruise down the interstate with a coffee in one hand a cell phone in the other and steering with my knees. The driver's seat is not the place to multi-task. I concentrate on driving and being aware of what is going on around me and avoid situations that would lead to an 'accident'. I assume the other guy is going to do something stupid and 9 times out of 10 I'll be right.

purple gas hit it right on the head.

My opinion for what it's worth!
1987SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #24
80BIG10
3 lefts make a right

I do feel safe in my truck but its the way other drivers act towards my truck compared to my wifes car. When in my truck I never get cut in front of or anyone on my a##. But when in my wifes car (Saturn Vue) I can't believe how many people think they can just cut infront of me or stay right on my rear bumper. Around here it seems people give trucks alot of respect.
80BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #25
1987SierraClassic

Well, 80BIG10, they don't do that around here. I have an '89 Suburban with a 4" lift and 33" tires. I get tailgated and cut off all the time, once by some fool in a tiny Triumph sports car (he squeezed between me and a dumptruck!) People follow so close I can't see them in any mirrors. They don't seem to understand that if I stop quick, they are destined to make a very messy stain on the roadway. People around here just don't understand. Maybe I should move to Texas!

People seem too hung up on getting there first. Just sit back and enjoy the drive! That's what I do. There's nothing at my destination worth dying for...or at the very least, wrecking my ride!
1987SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote