The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
slogo

Question Serpintene 'q'

I found a nice serpintene belt set-up off a 93 pick-up to go on my ZZ4, Just need to know if it's a good deal or not. I can get the complete set-up with A/C comp, ALT, PS pump and pullys included for $150.00 is that a good deal?
slogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
doc_rock

is the tensioner included in that deal?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You'll need a new reverse rotation water pump too.
150 is a bit more than I'd want to pay, but it is probably a decent deal in all reality. (I'm cheap)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
slogo

yes, it's all still bolted to the engine so i can get all the bolts. So $150 is to much to pay?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'd pay it myself. You get all the stuff in one matched package.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i just sold one to putter for $100 and my buddies been giving me hell for doing that, but he`s a board member and getting it in a package deal with an engine. i`d say $150 is a pretty fair price.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
slogo

no engine just the setup, i want it go on my engine.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Not too bad of deal if you get all of the accessories and if the brackets are the aluminum design. If they are the one piece stamped steel design….forget about it….those are junk. When I converted my small block with brackets from a 95’ they cost $50 back in 1996…but did not include the accessories or tensioner.

In addition to the reverse rotation water pump, if you are running an older small block you will need to drill and tap a hole into the passengers side head. Scary! I know, but it can be done.

Just remember….do not bolt the brackets to the block…..use studs and nuts to maintain the structural integrity of the bracket design. The later BB used bolts but not early SB.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
neonlarry

Thats probably an ok price. Get the water pump, fan (neither of yours will work), all the braces (be sure to take pics of where they go, looking at another setup later on won't necessarily help they are almost all different). Is the a\c compressor R12 or R134a? they are usually marked. Is the alt a CS130 or CS144? either of these will need to be wired different than your run of the mill internal reg alts. Also see if you can get a BB fan shroud (for our years) if you are going to run the fan.
PS get the studs for the braces. Also you can probably get away without drilling the P\S head.

Last edited by neonlarry; 01-11-2005 at 11:03 PM.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlarry
Also you can probably get away without drilling the P\S head.
I really don’t see how you are going to get away from drilling a hole in the passenger’s side head on a pre-1986 small block. How would you “properly” fasten the bracket to the head? The bracket needs to be bolted at the upper end of the head near the exhaust manifold and on the other side near the intake manifold.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #11
neonlarry

If you have all the braces on, the bracket has plenty of support with ONE bolt missing.
The only hole missing is the upper inside hole. Not really a big deal, I have mine that way right now. I will be changing out engines soon and that one will have acces holes but I didn't see any need to drill the ones I have on there now.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #12
DirtyLarry

I guess the key word was “properly” fasten.

It is your ride….I guess if your comfortable with that bolt missing then so be it. I know I did not feel comfortable with the brackets not fully fastened as GM engineered it to be.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
I guess the key word was “properly” fasten.

It is your ride….I guess if your comfortable with that bolt missing then so be it. I know I did not feel comfortable with the brackets not fully fastened as GM engineered it to be.
Yeah, but some of the engineers were sniffing glue...look at the junk they make today.
Turn signal switches that fall apart, fuel pumps that last 25,000 miles, plastic distributors that are a throw away item, coils that seperate, rear discs falling apart on the vans, hummer wheels falling off...I can continue, I see all of these at least once a week....except for the hummer, and I don't even work at a dealer...plus 75% of the light duty stuff that comes into our shop are fords....so in the few GM vehicles that come through...for them to all have the same problems a majority of the time must mean something.
Heck, whoever came up with the cross fire injection...he was probably shot in the back by a mechanic....and whomever thought up the CPI injection system...I'll bet he is making a killing off all the parts sold....esp since if you just need an injector, you buy the whole thing...if you need a pressure regulator....again, the whole thing.
Just becouse the good general made it so, does not mean it was a good idea, nor 100% needed.
In the 67 - 72 trucks....many don't have the one lower bolt holding in the heater box....but I'm willing to bet a punch in the gut that no one has suffered any cold air leaks if all the other bolts were tightened.
But GM says it needs it...so it must be true.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
BraveDave

I have the serpentine belt system on a Vortec 350 and I love it.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
guyryan100

My crate motor came with the serpentine system and a note that some blocks did not have a hole tapped for that one bolt. The note assured me that GM engineers felt that the bolt was not necessary.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #16
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyryan100
My crate motor came with the serpentine system and a note that some blocks did not have a hole tapped for that one bolt. The note assured me that GM engineers felt that the bolt was not necessary.
I will second this. I contacted GM Performance parts on the issue and they assured me also it would be fine to run without the bolt. Been running for almost a year now with no problems.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #17
rustyold72

Well with the AC pump included, plus the alt, ps pump, and the pulleys, I'd say it was a really good deal I looked for a long time for a setup like that for the Z, never could find one below $250, and that was without the accys
93 Nissan Pathfinder "Emily" Totaled RIP girl
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee-HEMI powered
87 Iroc Z28 305 TPI auto (crying out for an LS1 swap)
rustyold72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #18
CHEVYE
my gas saver

mine was on 1974 model heads and never had a problem out of it.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #19
DirtyLarry

I guess the verdict is in…..If you don’t want to drill the hole, you don’t have to.

It only takes about 10 minutes to drill and tap the hole. Cheap insurance…providing a person takes their time drilling the hole and does not drill into a water jacket.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #20
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
I guess the verdict is in…..If you don’t want to drill the hole, you don’t have to.

It only takes about 10 minutes to drill and tap the hole. Cheap insurance…providing a person takes their time drilling the hole and does not drill into a water jacket.
I would LIKE to drill the hole. I am just scared to do it. I would probably not get the hole straight at best or, like you said, hit a jacket. I have had the bracket off since installation... The wear pattern that shows where the hole lines up on the head does not line up all the way on the boss.