The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
smokinn

Had enough

Today I started working on preping the frame of my truck. Well I dont have a sandblaster so I went to HD and bought a couple of these sanding disc that attach to a drill. Well I started on it at 11am and 2pm my wife comes home and says "is that as far as you got?" So I get a little PO'd because Ive worked 3 hours on it and I didnt even put a dent in the removal process. So tomorrow Im getting a snadblaster from Harbor Freight. That way I can do all the other little pieces also. Thank god theres one right down the street.
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

You may want to see what it cost to have it blasted at a shop. Around here $150 will get it blasted and painted gloss black.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
smokinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom dually
You may want to see what it cost to have it blasted at a shop. Around here $150 will get it blasted and painted gloss black.
I thought about that but decided I would rather have my own so I can say I did it myself. The only thing in not going to probly do is replace the rockers and cab corners. Might leave that up to the pro's depending on the cost.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinn
I thought about that but decided I would rather have my own so I can say I did it myself......
Trust me, I don't think anyone will fault you for having your frame blasted by a shop. Unless your just bored and enjoy spending a gazillion hours stripping your frame, go it it blasted. Then you can actually see some progress when you start hanging parts on it....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
benscool1

When I started stripping my frame I started like you w/a wire wheel, I spent most of a day on it and didn't even get one whole frame rail done, so I tried a blaster from harbor freight, I spent 3 days w/that thing and the front susp. wasn't even done yet. Thats when I decided to have it professionally blasted, it only took a few hours and cost me $150, and for another $20 they would've primered it for me. The hardest part was getting the chassis to the blasters'. That is definitely the way to go IMO.
benscool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have a business that is close to me that does restorations on just about anything you bring into them. They have a sandblast booth that will take alarge vehicle and will do what you want done. I think that sitting at home and blasting your frame is a real sin and it gets nasty sand into everything. Send the frame to an expert and let them use their time and space. Save your space and everything that you have for the rest of the project. The sand or glass, whatever you use, will get into everything and screw it up. Imagine your carb on your other car all full of this garbage, it happens. Take the frame elsewhere, just to save the other stuff.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
DualPurpose

If you do the blasting yourself what kind of media are you going to use? I know that for body panels a lot of the places that do media blasting around here use a type of bakeing soda. Not sure though if that would work on the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainD5115
Remember, 98% of Fords are still on the road...the other 2% actually made it home!
DualPurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Soda blasting would work on all of it, but you had better get something stronger than a Harbor Freight "Special". That is where the pros come into the picture. The frame could stand something stronger than a soda mix, but I would definitely stick to soda on any sheetmetal surfaces.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
smokinn

Thanks everyone for the info. The one reason I decided to do it myself was the only place around here that does frames is a hour away and is booked solid for the next 6 months. I had a 67 mustang fastback that I restored about 3 years ago and used a sandblaster from harbor freight and did a great job. So I know what kinda mess they make. I bought my blaster today the same one I used 3 years ago and plan on blasting it after work on tuesday. I'll post some before and after pics later in the week.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
DualPurpose

Good luck with the frame. Looks like I'll be doing the same thing sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainD5115
Remember, 98% of Fords are still on the road...the other 2% actually made it home!
DualPurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Professor SS

I have and make a lot of use out of a cheap harbor freight sand blaster, I'm working on my third restification with it. I also have one of their cheap sand blasting cabinets, although I've modified it to fit my needs.

I blast using play sand in my gravel driveway. Just don't blast large flat panels, like roofs or doors, you'll warp them, I blast the cut in areas of body panels and then use paint stripper and a DA to take it down to metal. A frame, I wash it with my power washer, then 4 or 5 bags of sand and 2 or 3 hours and I can have it bare. Did a frame and suspension for a 71 chevelle for a friend of my son this summer in an afternoon.
Professor SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
jfrank133
AUSTIN TX

I went your route smokinn, and it only cost me about 20.00 dollars, yes it takes a little time but its worth it.
jfrank133 is offline   Reply With Quote