The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
jetfixr

Ideas for Exhaust for the newbie

Hey guys,

I am by no means a gear-head. About 6 years ago I talked my father into giving me the family truck. It is a 1970 C10 that has been in California all of its life. It was sitting on his property and hadn't been run in 3 or 4 years. I had fond memories of the truck, as a kid, he took us camping in it numerous times, towing our 18 foot travel trailer sometimes as far as Alberta Canada (was at least a 2000 mile round trip). The overworked 307 never skipped a beat. We used to go out in the middle of nowhere every season and cut wood (he got to cut, I would drag brush and load the wood in the truck). We had a lot of good times with that old truck. With all that sentimental value attached to the truck, I thought it would be a cool idea to fix it up. The realization that I lacked the knowledge, experience and time to work on it set in after it had sat in my driveway for several years and I was actually considering selling it.
Dad was a healthy and energetic 61 year old who could out-work most men half his age. Well, a little less then a year ago he was diagnosed with an agressive brain tumor and he passed away after an agonizing 6 month battle. Needless to say, the truck now HAS to be fixed-up regardless of the cost or work envolved. It has become my way of not forgetting about dad. I just picked up a 290HP 350 GM crate motor, an edelbrock manifold & 1406 carb, and some Doug Thorley headers (guy at the speed shop said they were top quality and fit very well on that model of truck). I have to rebuilt the exhaust system form the headers back. I don't want the truck to be extremely loud, but I don't want a restrictive exhaust system either. My goal is to have a healthy sounding truck at idle, yet not driving me nuts with a droning sound in that cab while taking extended trips on the highway (2500 to 3000 rpms). Any input on how this exhaust should be designed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dan
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the board from snowy central ohio.
There are a few prebent kits out there, but in all reality, call up some muffler shops in your area and see what they can do for you. You might find a shop that you won't be able to beat in price...but most likely you'll pay a bit more from a shop, but the good thing is that you don't have to spend a weekend on your back trying to make it work, and also the system will be welded.

You have found the best place to gather the info needed to fix up dad's old truck.
I am sorry to hear of his passing, but at least you do have the option of keeping the memory alive through the truck that obviously means the world to you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

TO THE BOARD FROM WEST 10-UH-C
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Welcome from Virginia Dan, sorry to hear about your father. Don't ever get rid of that truck, it should mean more to you than any money you'd get from it.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Welcome to the forums! Turbo muffs sound great with long tube headers.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Welcome from Florida!

Sorry to hear about your Dad, sounds like you guys were pretty close. I'm certain he'd be estatic to know you're keeping the memories alive through the 'ol chevy! I have agree with Longhorn Man, check around and get some prices - they'll usually do ya right.

Keeps us posted on the progress.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
dave3156

Hate to hear about your father passing. My dad passed about 10 years ago and I still miss him. I also have a 350 with an Edelbrock 1406 carb and Hooker headers. I went with dual pipes all the way back with 40 series Flowmasters. Alot of people think they are loud, but I "tuned them down" with dual 18" Siverline stainless exhaust tips. The sound is far enough back its not too loud in the cab but sounds awesome if you are behind the truck. Flowmaster also makes a 50 series which is quieter, but it still has the classic Flowmaster growl. Also before I "saw the light" I had a 75 Ford with a 390 with dual exhaust all the way back with turbo mufflers. It sounded good but you could not hear it at all in the cab unless you got onto it. It really comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. The cost of the pipes, mufflers and tips I run now was $400 installed. Welcome to the board, good luck with the truck.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
big blue 72

I 've had my Dad 's truck, (72 GMC C1500) for the past 19 years.
Keep it true to you.
big blue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
flatblack67c-10

Welcome to the board from Arkansas. Sorry to hear of your loss. I have the 350 with the same carb, and also have Flowmaster 40 series. They sound good in my opinon, but are kinda loud to some. The only bad thing about Flowmasters is that everybody has them. So, if you were wanting to be different, maybe try some Magnaflows or Borlas.
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #10
jetfixr

Yeah, I have a friend that runs Flowmaster 40s on his truck, it sounds very healthy idling and it's not to bad if you are riding around for 15 or 20 minutes. But I have taken a few extended trips with him of over an hour, and that droning sound can get to you after a while. As I mentioned, it will probably running 2500 to 3000 rpms on the highway, (TH350 and no overdrive). I hadn't given any thought to the 50's, anyone here running them? Also I will try and hear some turbos before I make up my mind, I have heard good things about DynoMax. This is definately the place to be for an education on Chevy trucks..... Such a huge pool of knowledge =)
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
dinnut

if i take my truck above 80 or so it sounds like a nascar event if i stay there for a while.... dual flowmaster super 40's with turndowns....
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! I am glad to hear you are fixing the truck up. Check out our FAQ page for some good ideas and info on these trucks!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 AM   #13
shortymac83
hmm...

Just an off topic suggestion - what rear gears do you have in your truck? I'd assume that you won't be hauling much if you restore it, and with that powerful motor, you won't need much gear, so why not go with 3.08's or something (if it doesn't have them already) so you're not cruising at 2500-3000 rpm?

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:57 AM   #14
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

welcome to the board! there is nothing like a family truck, best of luck with it.

i have the stock rams horn manifolds, then ran duel pipes to the rear with magna flow mufflers. the sound is perfect, most people who dont want a loud truck, but what to hear something beefy love this set up.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 AM   #15
4x4Poet

Great idea to finish the resto. I expect you'll enjoy remembering your dad while driving it all gussied up.

I often recommend Spin Tech mufflers. Click on "Learn about our flagship product" to see their design method. The "spin traps" make the exhaust gases spin or swirl in a vortex the evacuates the exhaust gases with much less restriction than baffles or packing. I think Spin Tech has solved much of the problem of providing low restriction with quiet performance. They have models that are quiet at cruise but "open up" at full throttle, sound wise. Tuff, 3/16 plate welded construction adds to the quiet and longevity. Expensive, though, especially for SS. I believe only their cost has prevented them from catching on big with the hotrod & resto crowd.

I'd guess one of their street performance mufflers would work well with your combo. They have muffs with nearly every inlet/outlet size and configuration, so once you figure out your pipe size and routing, you could pick out what fits from Spin Tech's line.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 AM   #16
Americanrider

Welcome aboard from Washington, Sorry to hear of your loss.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote