The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Valve cover / pcv question

I am looking at this set of valve covers and I have a question. Is there anything wrong with venting the pcv/breather out the back of the valve cover? Where would you run it to? Underside of the air cleaner base? Thanks guys.....
Attached Images

18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Bamm

Sorry, here's the other pictures.
Attached Images

My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Bamm

One more.....
Attached Images

My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
cdowns

you really should have baffeled covers to prevent oil being sucked into the carb
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
you really should have baffeled covers to prevent oil being sucked into the carb
Ditto---you will be sucking oil into the intake
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Not only that all PVC systems have a check valve in them to prevent gas vapors from
getting into the oiling system, and also from overpressurizing the crankcase and blowing seals. I don't think it matters where the vent is if these two criteria are met.
I kinda like the clean look it gives.
VetteVet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Bamm

Didn't the mid-80's pontiac V-8's come off the valve covers right into the air cleaner? They just had a "clip-on" filter to keep oil from getting into the carb. Was there anything else in between there i'm missing? Thanks for the responses guys.......Jerry
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #8

Pcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm 24
Didn't the mid-80's pontiac V-8's come off the valve covers right into the air cleaner? They just had a "clip-on" filter to keep oil from getting into the carb. Was there anything else in between there i'm missing? Thanks for the responses guys.......Jerry
That's the breather side where it pulls fresh air into the engine. PCV has to hook into vacuum port of intake or carburetor base.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
70short/step

The best thing to do with that valve cover is to just take out that fitting and plug it. Those covers have a place that you can remove (drill or punch out) in the top of them for the oil fill and PCV valve. That was used for racing purpose and you wouldnt want to use it on a street aplication. I have been watching these and was going to bid on them and do what i said here, but If you are interested in them I will not bid. They are nice covers and would look great on an engine. Happy bidding and hope you get them.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Bamm

Is there a site somewhere that would explain the pcv system for me so I can get a handle on what is what? Thanks guys..........Jerry
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
70short/step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm 24
Is there a site somewhere that would explain the pcv system for me so I can get a handle on what is what? Thanks guys..........Jerry
Definition: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is an emissions control device that routes unburned crankcase blowby gases back into the intake manifold where they can be reburned. The PCV system is one of the oldest emission control devices, and also one of the most beneficial. Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine. There needs to be a fresh air supply in one valve cover so excess vacuum or pressure does not build up. Most times on a stock engine with PCV problems they clog and allow pressure to build in the crankcase which makes oil blow out the rear main and front seals as well as the valve covers.
The PCV valve requires little maintenance. The valve and filter should be replaced somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 miles
(see the vehicle owners manual for service intervals).

70 Short/Step

Last edited by 70short/step; 03-10-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Putter
More Cowbell....

I saw those on the E-bay yesteday. Looked kinda cool, BUT WHERE DOES THE OIL GET INSTALLED on oil-change day??? I aint pulling the dizzy to do that.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
Bamm

Maybe the other valve cover has the oil fill? I can't remember and lost the link.
70 Short/Step - I'm not bidding on them, I just wanted to figure out how he was making that work. Reason being, I have a pair of new-in-the-box billet valve covers that don't have any holes drilled in the top and I kinda like that smooth look and was wondering if there was a way to keep that look and still have everything working as it should. Any idea's will be appreciated........Jerry
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
70short/step

Those valve covers that you have in the pics are Performance chevy parts and are worth about $230. Like I said before, you have to punch or drill holes in them for the oil fill and PCV valve. There are bosses in the covers to do this. If you have valve covers that have no holes for oil fill or PCV valve I do not know of any other way to vent the crankcase on a newer post 67 year. Earlier year engines had a tube in the back of the block to vent the crankcase and it just let the oil run out onto the road. The way you put oil in these older engines was the front of the intakes had a tube that stuck up with an oil cap on them. And Putter, I would pull a valve cover (if I had to) instead of the dizzy to add oil! Hope this helps you.

70 Short/Step

Last edited by 70short/step; 03-10-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
68LSS1

A PCV valve isn't absolutely needed. You could run a small catch can off the AN fittings on the back of the valve covers. If you ensured that it was mounted higher than the valve covers you won't have any problem and a PCV is unnecessary as it's being vented to atmosphere. Also you wouldn't have to worry about baffles either. You can even put a vented filter directly on the valve cover but those tend to allow a slight oil mist over the valve cover and engine. As far as the PCV valve I think it's purpose is to prevent ignition of vapors in the top end in the event of a backfire.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #16
Bamm

Okay, side question. What would happen if I just vent one side? Is that sufficient or do both sides need to be ventilated?
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

The 350 in my 69 has valve cover from old school withn the CHEVROLET scroll on it ( closed ) on the drivers side and a breather oil fill on the front of a later model with a pvc port at the rear and a tube to the aircleaner with pcv in line on the passengers side. It seems kinda wrong to me since the draw and vent are all on one side. I think oil fill on one side ( vented cap) and the pcv port and hose to intake manifold on the opposite side would draw air across and through the engine better. But maybe this isn't even necessary. Perhaps the set up the PO put on this engine is fine.
I am rebuilding another 350 or 400 to put back in the truck and I have a set of the old stock closed covers that I realy wish to run, but still trying to figure out how
Dave
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #18
franko72
Franko72

I have heard that crankcase ventilation will add life to the crank bearings and rod bearings.Without it the crank spins and splashes the oil and can form small bubbles of air in the oil not letting the oil adhere as well to the moving parts causing premature wear on the crank.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote