The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
1986Silverado
What I drive

Some questions about rear leaf springs.....

When I got my truck I noticed the rear springs only had 3 leafs......and also noticed that the LMC catalog only goes down to a 4 leaf spring. My questions are this......Would it be safe to tow with 3 springs?(I'm guessing not). Also I want to lower the truck but with the 3 springs gone it makes it kinda akward to do it right. It sits at 31 inches in the rear now. And last one..I want to be able to tow/haul with this truck some, so could I get a old spring and remove the leaf or leafs that I need and put them in mine? And how do you do that(never took a leaf spring apart!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Alot of fun taking leaf springs apart. I don't know very much about them. Remember a buddy swear up a storm when he had to replace two of them. His was on a jacke up truck though.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
us111

springs

HELLO,,springs are a real pain but can be done,on my 76 both front saddles that hold the leaves were shot,and leaf's broke on both sides.I replaced it all myself without all the right tool's.TOOK 3 days,but did it..lol... I don't wanna say it's dangerous and scare you off of it,but you have to be carefull,when (and if) you can drive the bolt out of the front of leaf you have to make sure the tension is off of spring or when it comes loose and smacks the bed like my first one did you will think you been shot.lol,plus if your arm or something was in between the leaf and bed,ouch,the right way i have heard is be able to tie your truck bed to floor or something so it dont move when you jack up frame to even out tension on leaf..I didn't have that option but still was able to do mine..THE bolt's are terrible to get out but they give sooner or later,ALSO if you do it be sure and go to your local spring shop and get grade#8 replacement bolt's..AS for leaf's,they wanted $50.00 for my main botton leaf but got same one at j-yard for $5.00...
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote