The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

ammeter to voltmeter

Thinking about replacing the ammeter on my 69. Would like to find a drop-in voltmeter. Any of y'all know where I could get one?

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
neonlarry

Try a 73-87 truck. Looks real close, it will take a little work to make it fit. But it will blend right in with the other gauges.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

Why would you want to? I would much rather have an ammeter than a volt meter any day. It tells you right away when something is wrong. I wish all my vehicles had them. Guess they changed over to volt meters because people didn't understand what a ammeter was telling them.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
junkyard truck

If you change the alt. to an internal regulator don't you have to change the amp guage to volt guage unless you do some rewiring to the wiring harness and dash panel ?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

You do not have to change from a ammeter to a volt meter when changing to an internal regulated alternator. Wire the setup like in the FAQ section. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&page=1&pp=25 Basically attach two jumper wires at the external regulator plug. Change the alternator field plug to the new style and your home free.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Problem is the meter itself doesn't work. Circuit checks out okay, but the meter is toast. Thought that since I was going to have to replace it, I would put in a volt meter, but couldn't find one. Will stop and pick up a new ammeter then.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I had the ammeter on my 71 vette stop working. I took it apart and found the wire that is wound around the gage was open. It is basically a setup that the small amount of current flow goes through the wire and causes the needle to move to the right or left based on the direction of flow. The flow creates a magnetic field which causes the needle to move. I removed the solder from the ends of the wire and found a similar size wire. I used 1 strand of a stranded wire. I measure the length and took note of the number of turns on each side of the needle. I coated the single strand of wire with clear lacquer to ensure the current went though the wire and didn't short between turns. I soldered it back to the connectors and it worked great. It is possible that you have other problem but this is the most common. Good luck.

Don
Old 03-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
neonlarry

Personaly I prefer a voltmeter to an ampmeter, to each his own. Did you check the two small fuses in the ampmeter circuit that are under the hood? Also here is a site that has meter repair stuff.
http://www.fix-a-gauge.com/
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

"Personaly I prefer a voltmeter to an ampmeter, to each his own."

How true this is. I can pick up a bad diode in an alternator immediately versus waiting for the drop in voltage to tell me. Easier to make it all the way home sometimes. The voltmeter is what people are use to now. I don't think any manufacture puts ammeters in car or truck anymore. I'm an old guy, well sort of old, and ammeters were the meter of choice in the day. I guess I don't like change on some things. Just for reference, I also own a clamp on AC/DC ammeter so I know exactly how much load the whole works is putting on the alternator. Great tool for troubleshooting.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 AM   #10
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I'll have to pull the ammeter out tomorrow. I have voltage to both sides of the meter, new fuses too.

My opinion on the ammeter vs voltmeter is this. You really need them both. Just knowing how many amps your pushing through a system is not going to tell you if the voltage is high enough. I've had batteries go bad and the ammeter has been pushing out 40 amps, but the voltage has only been 11. And I've had alernators that showed 14+ volts, but they wer not putting out and amps to speak off.

Last edited by Fred T; 03-27-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

Hey Fred,
When I rewired my ammeter, I used a 1.5 volt battery to verify it worked correctly prior to reinstallation. Just take a wire from positive on the battery to one side of the ammeter and one from the negative to the other side. The ammeter needle should deflect to one side and if you swap the leads it should go the other way. Good luck.